Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: too much bass

Aging Smartass
    Here's a solution that ought to generate lots of comments: buy a Bose wave radio!

Then, if you're ready for the onslaught of ridicule, post it here that you actually did buy it! You sure won't get too much bass, but then you won't get much of anything else either - except ripped off due to its price tag of well over $1,000 for a plastic box and $20 worth of componentry.

Just my attempt at some humor...

Forum Regular

Not True

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I bet if I bought my RTA into your room, you would SEE that you do have a problem. I think you have grown accustom to the way it sounds. ANY speaker tucked into a corner will have a elevated bass response, and poor imaging. I bet if you had a point of reference (a correctly positioned speaker) you would here the difference.
    I prefer the audio just the way it is. Whether it is correct by anyone else's standard is of no concern of mine. My bass does not sound boomy and to my ears sounds very close to a live performance.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruadmaa
    I prefer the audio just the way it is. Whether it is correct by anyone else's standard is of no concern of mine. My bass does not sound boomy and to my ears sounds very close to a live performance.
    Anything can sound exactly the way we want it, especially if we don't care about what is correct or balanced. As I said before, you are used to it whether it is right or completely wrong.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

As others have said, the corner loading is the culprit. I don't think it's necessarily that the amount of bass is too much. It's probably more about the unevenness in the bass that corner loading can create. Rooms your size will already create boomy peaks and/or cancellations, but the corner loading reinforces these frequencies and accentuates room induced issues. Peaks can make the bass seem louder and more overwhelming than it actually is. Ideally, you want the bass to sound full and extended, and room induced problems will typically make the bass sound alternately loud with certain notes, and anemic with others.

If you absolutely cannot move the speakers, then ironically, the way to tone down the bass might be to add a subwoofer (units with 10" woofers can measure as little as 13" wide, which is a very WAF friendly size). By using a subwoofer with either a speaker level crossover or receiver/processor-implemented bass management, you can independently set the levels for the low frequencies. A subwoofer (provided that you use a line-level subwoofer output from a receiver/processor) also gives you the option of attaching a parametric equalizer to even out the bass response. By evening out the bass, you eliminate those boomy peaks that make the bass unlistenable.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information