Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Basically you just said you don't like Bose then because their speakers have circuit breakers in them. Example 301's

Forum Regular
    Well speakers are only good if they have some form of protection fuse,circuit breaker otherwise they will just blow if played loud.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageTurntable
    Basically you just said you don't like Bose then because their speakers have circuit breakers in them. Example 301's
    Ummm... that is not a good point to make around here... On Audiiphile sites; Bose is generally regarded as utter crap.... So you are really in the wrong place if you are going to use Bose as your reference for what high quality sound is...

Forum Regular
    Well what brand do u use then? Ev something another are awesome speakers.

what the...!

DUDE, what are you? spankingvanillaice V2 or what?

you think you have something special. You're wrong, they're not. Live with it.
    Speakers with fuses, or circuit breakers (which alter the sound even more), are not high end, because they have a protection circuit, in the contrary actually. name one true high end speaker, or even name one mid end speaker that actually has fuses? especially today?
    using bose as a reference is like saying the fiat panda is the best car ever made, it's not, it's a fiat panda, which you'd be happy with if it would even drive at all.

You are here on a public forum, You have a question, several, actually. We respond to you with answers to those questions. Those answers are not what you were hoping they would be. IF you want affirmation, go brag with your "huge 15 inch woofers" with some 8 year old kids. I'm sure they'll like them. They go loud and they do boom, and if you're lucky, they can do shizzle too.

I'm sorry to say it, really, I wish there was a more polite way to say this, but please, start accepting all the facts here. as JoeE and Mark said, there are people here that are really into audio, that really care about audio, and that have been doing so for a long time already. Some of them even longer than you presumably have lived.

These people are willing to share their knowledge with you. But you have to listen!

so tell me, when are you going to start listening?

regards,
    Bert.
    Last edited by basite; 05-19-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well what brand do u use then? Ev something another are awesome speakers.

And look into my signature, I use Thiel speakers,
    you can find more about them at their site here

they are high quality speakers, in a league that you have never even heard of.
    I love those things. I love their sound, the soundstage they can bring, the holographic imaging, their tight and deep lows, their very sweet, soft and very natural mids, and the detailed but definitely not harsh highs, I love their coherence. I am proud of them, I am proud of myself to be owning such a great speaker at a young age like mine. I worked several months for them, and another several months for the amplifier to drive them with, a legend too.

Other examples of good, very good, true high end speakers are: Avalon, B&W, Monitor audio, Zu audio, MBL, audiophysics, some Klipsch, Totem, Verity audio, Tannoy,...

but Electrovoice are not. they had a few good models, a serious while back, they don't have anything proper now.

Regards,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    Cerwin Vega is a highend speakers manufacturer. They don't use fuses anymore anyways just circuit breakers like Bose & CV. pics of your speakers?

Forum Regular
    But thinking realistically most people don't buy their speakers online usually in retail stores or highend Stereo Equipment stoores.You won't find Theil Speakers because there is no more places like those around only retail Stores.

Ajani
    Cerwin Vega is a highend speakers manufacturer. They don't use fuses anymore anyways just circuit breakers like Bose & CV. pics of your speakers?
    VT, Bose and Cerwin Vega are not well regarded among audiophiles.... Only recently has CV's most expensive speaker gotten some respect as being very good for the money...

However, the most expensive speakers from brands like Bose and CV are around $1.5K... That is often regarded as the starting point of decent speakers... $15K is a fairly common price for a top of the line model from a high end brand... In fact there are even speakers in excess of $150K...

The brands you are talking about would be considered entry level at best and are often (with the exception of current CV) regarded as being average or below average for the money...

Forum Regular
    Okay you are entitled to your own opinion but that is my opinion sorry if I'm driving anyone crazy. I work with a dj we use Yamaha Speakers 20" Woofers. No I didn't mean Electrovoice earlier in one of my posts there was another dj using some speakers that just said EV it wasn't Electrovoice I don't think What is the brand just the itnitals EV? The speakers were awesome!!! I'm a huge fan of Crown JBL they also rocked.
    Last edited by VintageTurntable; 05-19-2010 at 05:00 PM.

If DJ speakers are your reference for quality sound you are working from a very inadequate knowledge base.
    For the most part all the speakers you have mentioned are absolute utter crap. Circuit breakers and fuses are put into crappy speakers because they are usually driven by equally crappy receivers. Those crappy underpowered receivers have a marked tendency to clip (that's distort horribly) when pushed hard. (it's easy to do with them) When an amplifier clips it blows tweeters. Thats why fuses or circuit breakers are put in those speakers. It's to protect those $1.98 tweeters.
    It's becoming quite obvious you have never heard anything the posters here consider decent. Bear in mind that there are major differences of opinion on gear especially speakers. The fact that virtually every response has said pretty much the same thing should tell you something.
    I strongly suggest you go to a mid-fi or high end dealer and listen to some good speakers driven by good electronics. Until you do so you are fighting a battle where you have inadequate resources and no ammunition. When you have heard some decent gear and speakers set up properly then you "may" have something intelligent to add to this forum. As it stands now you are acting exactly like an 8 year old spoiled brat who hasn't got a clue.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    I drive my speakers with Kenwood receivers almost bought an Onkyo TX-4500 But I mainly use Kenwood. I will use my Yamaha RX-V363 if the Kenwood somehow quits working.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    DUDE, what are you? spankingvanillaice V2 or what?
    Hmmm... Let's see:

Asking for opinions and then ignoring all responses - check

Talking to himself about gear that has nothing to do with the topic - check

I think we may finally have a new SVI

But thinking realistically most people don't buy their speakers online usually in retail stores or highend Stereo Equipment stoores.You won't find Theil Speakers because there is no more places like those around only retail Stores.
    you do find high end speakers and gear online, not all, of course, and maybe you should sometimes come out, and realize that there actually still are high end dealers...

and just because you don't find them online, it doesnt mean they don't exist anymore. There is a big variety of audiophile gear out there, that you have never heard of.

so your realistic thinking brought you nowhere, in fact, thinking like that won't really help anything at all, not even the economy...

so quit whining.

if your reference gear are "dj speakers", then you are clueless of what "high end" actually is. DJ speakers, with now matter how big their woofers are, and how loud they can play are DEFINITELY NOT HIGH END.
    That's a fact, I don't care what your 16 year old friends all tell you, because they are just as close minded as you.

EV are the initials of "electrovoice", also, a fact, look it up, for a dude that says that most of the people buy their speakers online, you are pretty much clueless too about how to work with the internet. but then again, a quick google search would probably learn you so much more that you'd end up killing yourself.

now
    again
    your speakers are NOT high end, they are not even mid end, they are useless. they might go loud, hooray, a megaphone can go louder, does that mean it's better quality? let alone high end?

NO, it doesn't.

I know, it's hard for you, but, live with it.
    it could very well be that all of this is your opinion, you might very well be deaf and therefore think the speakers you own actually do sound good, but bear in mind, that other people, who DO actually WANT advice, and listen to it, might read this too. and we don't want to end up with people all start to buy crappy speakers, don't we?

now, This is the point where you should say to yourself, i'm a noob, and I should listen to what these people have to say, I might actually learn something. then think about it, and decide that it's probably the best thing to do. Then actually start doing so. We are perfectly willing to give you answers to all your questions, we are all willing enough to point you in a right direction with all your future upgrade plans.
    Yes, we really are.

but
    you
    have
    to
    LISTEN.

think about it.

now,
    That felt good.

you requested pictures of my speakers, there are several pictures of my setup here on AR, but they're not really up to date, some changes have been going trough in my system lately.

here is a brochure about the speakers though, from thiel's website:
    Thiel CS2.3 literature

oh, and, what music do you actually listen to?

Regards,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Those Thiels do look tasty, but as tasty as this? I don't think so...6 speakers basite, count em up. PLUS, they don't waste any wood for needless things like bracing or reinforcement. Does your speaker sound like a completely hollow void if you knock on it?!? Didn't think so. You know what? You, Joe and Ajani, oh ya, Mark too are all a bunch of clowns. Just look at it's majestic beauty and realise it sounds as good as it looks. Kenwood forever!!!!!

I suppose no one will be upset if I crap this thread. basite, check out the deck I am gunning for, nice price. Remember we talked about old school DD?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1277159684

oh my
    that's a beauty

run, don't walk, be home before dinner, but get it!

I just hauled 2 extra Lenco's, new summer project coming up

that makes a total, of, let me think, 6 turntables now?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Aging Smartass
    well if I had to guess the price of them when new was probbally $600.00 or $700.00 or right around there.

Dream on, friend. LIsten to Joe's advice. If you ask members here a question, try to understand that some may have more knowledge than you, and are offering you an honest, sincere answer to your questions. "Kabuki" is a most unflattering term for speakers, and certainly describes those you've been talking about. If you like them, then that's fine, but don't expect others with a background in audio to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Those Thiels do look tasty, but as tasty as this? I don't think so...6 speakers basite, count em up. PLUS, they don't waste any wood for needless things like bracing or reinforcement. Does your speaker sound like a completely hollow void if you knock on it?!? Didn't think so. You know what? You, Joe and Ajani, oh ya, Mark too are all a bunch of clowns. Just look at it's majestic beauty and realise it sounds as good as it looks. Kenwood forever!!!!!

Did the speaker on the floor fall out? Or, is it supposed to be that way? does it help the bass?
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I suppose no one will be upset if I crap this thread. basite, check out the deck I am gunning for, nice price. Remember we talked about old school DD?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1277159684

That's very nice. I like it. The changeable arm board is a very nice feature.

How do you stack the LP's with that low dust cover?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Did the speaker on the floor fall out? Or, is it supposed to be that way? does it help the bass?
    It helps with imaging and soundstage, something you ESL guys know nothing about. And yes with the driver on the floor the bass dips to 30 Hz, makes the women go wild.

I'm sure it does make them go wild. Do you open the door or do they just run through it?

It helps with imaging and soundstage, something you ESL guys know nothing about. And yes with the driver on the floor the bass dips to 30 Hz, makes the women go wild.

I thought it was the "buy 2 speakers, and already get 3 replacement drivers"-special sales promo, just in case the original driver randomly died trying to produce actual music...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I'm sure it does make them go wild. Do you open the door or do they just run through it?

it's a combo!

first they become angry, because there are 2 humongous wooden doorstops in the living room, which produces vibrations, and then they run through the door...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    Hey don't know what any of u guys got against Kenwood their amps & receivers are awesome!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information