Thread: Thanks RGA

Thanks RGA

Just got back into the Snell family again (I can never leave who am I kidding). I had a Type Q which I liked but it was limited by the 75hz cutoff and its thin musicality. I always remembered what RGA said about the original Snell editions from the later ones. I posted earlier on another thread that a pair of Snell Type J ll 's were for sale locally and that would be a bargain. After I left the site here, I thought I would never get another chance at that price locally (some guy is selling some for $400 60 miles away). So I said "do it or you will kick yourself". Sh*t, two months ago I almost drove to San Francisco to pick up some Alll's for $400 ( why don't I own a truck by now).

So here they are:

Thanks RGA for the tip, these are awesome speakers. The Snell ruler flat neutrality design philosophy is really the sound that I like most. I like them so much they are replacing my Kef 103.2 as my main speakers.Those are going up for sale.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yeah I love the Audio Note (err Snell) ugliness LOL. Well only loved it after I heard them.

I Remember when I was auditioning the K in a speaker shootout and I kept saying to myself "but they're so ugly" and I was desperately trying to like the other speakers Soundhounds was selling more - something to latch onto that sounded better - Then I resigned myself to the - "At least the K comes in cherry" - eesh.

The Snell models were not designed for corner placement - but it would be interesting to seem them positioned in the usual AN style - very hard in your corners with only a sliver of light between the side wall - speakers would be toed in very hard so you would see most of the outside of the boxes.

My reasoning is that the J doesn't go as far down the frequency spectrum as the AN E and I have never really read Peter address it with the J models. It might be worth a shot to see what happens. Though from the picture it looks like the wall unit may be an issue.

Anyway, the one good thing is that unlike most of the vintage gear out there - you always have access to current parts and upgraded parts for the old Snell models.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Nice upgrade Enochrome...that's a fun looking (and I'd imagine a superlative sounding) room.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    I appreciate their purposeful "all business" look. Gotta sound sweet in near field.

Forum Regular
    Despite the clutter, I must commend you on that pretty sweet setup.
    I'd get some curtains for those windows though, don't want that pesky sun bothering you.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    An additional comment on the look - Mine are all black so it would have been nice to get the wood finish - the older AN J like mine came with the grill cloth as do the Snell J's so it makes they didn't finish the front since they'd be covered by the grill cloth.

Still if you ever get to see one of the nicer AN J finishes they're pretty stunning -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thanks RGA-j.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    An additional comment on the look - Mine are all black so it would have been nice to get the wood finish - the older AN J like mine came with the grill cloth as do the Snell J's so it makes they didn't finish the front since they'd be covered by the grill cloth.

Still if you ever get to see one of the nicer AN J finishes they're pretty stunning -
    oooooooooo...curly maple is pretty (or is that birds eye?).

Thanks for all the comments guys. I love the sound. For vintage speakers they really excel with electronic music.

They are crazy ugly!!! I had a hard time coming to terms with selling my beautiful Kef's when left with these ugly beasts, but it's all about the sound. I think I am going to get the cabinets of the Snell's veneered with a nice cherry, or walnut, or a better oak. Then several coats of shellac rubbed with fine steel wool. I'll then replace the crappy 80's brown grill cloth with white. I am doing the exact same thing with my Spica's.

You guys are like lazers!! My place was big old pile of mess; spent all day and night setting up the Snell's and listening to music that I let the place fall apart

Quote Originally Posted by AltCode View Post
    I'd get some curtains for those windows though, don't want that pesky sun bothering you.
    Enochrome cluttered? Heck, you should see my place.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post

What ever my qualms about AN speakers I've never had a problem with the looks. Those look great.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Listen to them first - then bring me your qualms. IMO you'll be finding more problems with you 1.6s than you realize are there right now.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nomo17k View Post
    Thanks and welcome to the site. I will take some more pics of the recently cleaned room and some acquisitions which is getting me closer to finally rounding out my system.

Man, i thought my mom was bad you guys must be some classy dudes

Man I need lower stands for these Snell *****es!!!
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Forum Regular
    Enochrome,

Can you not fit your gear in that handsome glass front built-in and maybe use more of the one on the right side as well? Your fireplace is just too nice to block. If your TT is a problem you could easily widen the top shelf although the door on the right looks like it drops down for a flat surface. If you used both sides for gear wires could be run alone the baseboard and easily concealed.

I spy two nice PS1's ready for mods.

Thread Information