Forum Regular

Usher subwoofer/speaker stands....

I happened to check out the Usher website and was surprised to find sub woofers made to compliment the S-520. These sub woofers seem like a pretty good idea for those who have small bookshelf/monitors and looking to add some depth to the sound. Check it out.

http://usheraudiousa.com/products/lo...-series/SW-520

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have always been curious about Usher speakers from all the good things I have read. The S520 sounds like a bargain and then to have the bass augmented in that way might create quite a system. The low coloration of a compact speaker and bass extension. A poor man's Watt/Puppy. Thanks for sharing.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Yeah I seen that they have come out with these and for the people that love there s520's they would be a good upgrade to take them to a true full range speaker.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I'm not trying to dis Usher speakers here because they have a good rep and a good following but $900 for the sub stands and another $479 for the 520's. For that total price I woud rather have a nice pair of full range tower speakers of keep the 520's and buy a very good sub, used or new for $900 that can drop down to 25Hz. Or even a pair of $450 subs.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

Your Welcome JM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have always been curious about Usher speakers from all the good things I have read. The S520 sounds like a bargain and then to have the bass augmented in that way might create quite a system. The low coloration of a compact speaker and bass extension. A poor man's Watt/Puppy. Thanks for sharing.
    I bought a pair of S520's in the piano black finish back in April 06 $400./pr and wound up giving them to my niece last year. Looks like I might try to persuade her to take the Nola Mini's instead.

The S520's are a pretty darn good sounding speaker by themselves but the are engineered to go lower in the bass more than they are capable of handling so the dual Usher subs make sense. Now if I can just get to audition some first....

Forum Regular

Good points BR....however...

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I'm not trying to dis Usher speakers here because they have a good rep and a good following but $900 for the sub stands and another $479 for the 520's. For that total price I woud rather have a nice pair of full range tower speakers of keep the 520's and buy a very good sub, used or new for $900 that can drop down to 25Hz. Or even a pair of $450 subs.
    Given the eye candy of the piano black finish on the S520's and the sculpted design of the SW520's it would be hard to resist the pairing visually. Additionally, the integration of the Usher pairing might yield better cohesiveness and give up some depth/slam to favor musicality instead. I need to find a dealer near me that has them so I can give them a listen and find out just what the SW520 is all about.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I wonder if being matched to the 520's would make integration easier than can happen with speakers and another companies subwoofer.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I'll take a pair of the new Martin Logan 500 dynamo's. Very musical subs. But you are right about integration. But subs are made to integrate with most speakers.

I would also consider a Rhythmik sub.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I dont think you are following the concept correctly.The S-520 is already on its own a incredable speaker but its limits are rather of ommsion like a good mini although its out of box good for a mini at bass and macrodynamics and the midrange,coherance,imaging,and topend are already stellar,Usher didnt want to fix something that was broken nor did they wanna come out with a floorstanding model in this range,its 1 of the most global award winning speakers of all time.the bass stands simplly make them a fullrange speaker now,their still a S-520 but a bigger 1 a even more complete 1,more companies that care about their great mini's should do this the results could be very suprising.The S-520/SW-520 combo out performs the Cp-6311 by a good margin and stands toe to toe with the Be-718's,Mini 1,and Mini 2.I've been waiting for these stands for over a year,and boy was it worth the wait,they remind me of a good panel with stellar bass $1170 shipped to your door easilly the best setup under $2k along with the Maggie 1.7,and Zu Omens,the lil Usher's will embarrass some very pricey speakers.

Forum Regular

Hello T BOMB25

Quote Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    The S-520/SW-520 combo out performs the Cp-6311 by a good margin and stands toe to toe with the Be-718's,Mini 1,and Mini 2.I've been waiting for these stands for over a year,and boy was it worth the wait,they remind me of a good panel with stellar bass $1170 shipped to your door easilly the best setup under $2k along with the Maggie 1.7,and Zu Omens,the lil Usher's will embarrass some very pricey speakers.

I am quite familiar with Usher products and am a big fan of the CP6311 and BE-718's. I have a couple of questions for you..... with regard to the 520 combo..what in this combo outperforms the 6311?.....and I understand where the SW would add depth where the 718 might lose some depth but what about the tweeter performance of the 520 vs the BE tweeter....does the tweeter on the 520 gain more insight to the degree of the BE tweeter?

Also, though not apparent until I compared it the S-520 to the Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i, I found the S-520 to be grainy. Is the grain diminished by adding the SW520?

I used to have a pair of S520's and maybe I can make a deal to get the pair back with a speaker swap if I think getting the SW520/S520 combo would be at least on par with the 6311.

Thanks for the feedback.

LeRoy

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I can't see the benefit of getting the SW520. It will only go down to 38hz. My X719's will do that by themselves. I think your best bet is to pick up a seperate subwoofer that will integrate with the S520's and you'll have a very nice setup.

On Sunday my wife borrowed my S520's and swapped them out for her Paradigm Mini Monitors in her family room setup. I was watching the football game in my audio room and she was channel surfing trying out the S520's. All of a sudden the walls are vibrating and the floor is shaking. I'm like "what the hell is she watching". I go in and she's found the end of Ghostbusters. That is the first time when I really saw what the S520's could do. Having them serving as my surrounds is not doing them justice. Whew..........
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular

Hi Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    I can't see the benefit of getting the SW520. It will only go down to 38hz. My X719's will do that by themselves. I think your best bet is to pick up a seperate subwoofer that will integrate with the S520's and you'll have a very nice setup.

On Sunday my wife borrowed my S520's and swapped them out for her Paradigm Mini Monitors in her family room setup. I was watching the football game in my audio room and she was channel surfing trying out the S520's. All of a sudden the walls are vibrating and the floor is shaking. I'm like "what the hell is she watching". I go in and she's found the end of Ghostbusters. That is the first time when I really saw what the S520's could do. Having them serving as my surrounds is not doing them justice. Whew..........
    I've heard the X719's used as mains in a HT system and even though they are paired with a Velodyne sub the 719's still kicked major butt on the action scene's. I don't ever recall listening to them in a dedicated 2 channel system.

Yes, the S-520's bass performance is amazing for such a little bookshelf and I could never detect a roll off even when the speaker was pushed....they simply put out till they putter out.

My interest in the SW520 is due to not having a sub woofer input on my Belles or Rega amplification and the idea of having a "unified" pairing just seems like maybe the right thing to do in my case...Well.I don't know yet...

Thread Information