Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tannoy Mercury V4

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I think I'm just about gonna have to try most replacements for the 6N3 before I stick with one brand. After burning the new tube (presumably Tung-Sol) I got to missing the "air" in the upper frequencies. So, I went ahead and rolled the next set of tubes (presumably Bendix). With the presumed Bendix tube I got excitement back in the upper frequencies, and "air" with expanded soundstage, natural sounding mids, and softer low end. The depth of the bass was not equal to the presumed T.S. tube and with some songs did not really sound coherent with the rest of the music. Other times the bass was just right. At the moment I have a love/hate thing going on with the B.

Yesterday I went to my local Magnolia/Best Buy shop because " I knew" they carried the M.A. line as I heard the M.A. last about 3 months ago at that very local. Well, Magnolia dropped the M.A. and so I did not get to give the BX5 a listen. Plan B was to go get a Guinness so I did.

Interesting possibility with the BA A-250. I think Crutchfield carries the line and in my dealings with them I have always had an excellent customer service experience.
    Stopped by a Magnolia store today for a few minutes. Didn't see any MA but I did see Martian Logans and Definitive Tech's in the listening rooms. Listened very briefly to both and was floored by the Martian Logans. The DT's sounded excellent as well. I plan to go back in a couple of weeks to spend a little time listening to them with my own music. At worst if the Motion 4 sounds half as good as the floor stander I heard I would buy those in an instant.

Those Tannoy V1's you suggested LeRoy don't get the greatest reviews by a number of people on the Test Freaks site. TF seems to like them but many others seem indifferent to them or don't like them that much. Apparently they are nothing like the floor stander that you own.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiam62 View Post
    Stopped by a Magnolia store today for a few minutes. Didn't see any MA but I did see Martian Logans and Definitive Tech's in the listening rooms. Listened very briefly to both and was floored by the Martian Logans. The DT's sounded excellent as well. I plan to go back in a couple of weeks to spend a little time listening to them with my own music. At worst if the Motion 4 sounds half as good as the floor stander I heard I would buy those in an instant.

Those Tannoy V1's you suggested LeRoy don't get the greatest reviews by a number of people on the Test Freaks site. TF seems to like them but many others seem indifferent to them or don't like them that much. Apparently they are nothing like the floor stander that you own.
    Those M.L.'s have a unique design and I have always found them visually appealing. I think they are 4ohm speakers so probably need more than 16 w/ch to drive them effectively. I have always liked the SQ of their electrostatic speakers.

I did check out the reviews of the TMV1's on T.F. and yes the consumer reviews were a mixed bag. Yes, these TMV4's are really a special speaker when paired with appropriate electronics, tubes, and cables/wires.

Went ahead and put the T.S. tube back into the Q. The sometimes disjointed bass, soft bass tone, and generally lacking in low end textures was maddening so I took the Bendix tube out. I will be sending the Bendix back for a refund and keep the T.S.

I will be ordering some G.E. 5-Star and also G.E. Black plates in the 5670/2C51/396A type. I found a really great price on the W.E. version of the 396A but I've read that the W.E. can be noisy and that would drive me nuts so I will pass on the W.E. I will post comments about the G.E. tubes when I put them into play.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Forum Regular
    Update on the GE 5670 Black plate tubes- vs - Tung Sol C251...and what changes occurred. I've had the GE tubes for about 3 weeks now and of course listened to various music genre's through them before going back to the T.S. late yesterday evening.

The GE tubes have a great and delicate balanced presentation from top to bottom. Upper frequencies are insightful, never harsh, and delicate while integrating into a warm midrange with natural tones and a punch bass drive for the low end. The T.S. top end....nothing is missing from the top end but just not as resolved/insightful/delicate and therefore I am less engaged with the T.S. However, the T.S. mid bass and lower bass has more growl/texture and slam. Overall, the T.S. is definitely a warmer tube from top to bottom in comparison to the GE Black plate.

So, the tube rolling will continue as I was able to find a great price on W.E. 396A tubes that I will try next. In the meantime I will stick with the G.E. tube as my preferred tube for the Qinpu. How I rank em so far based on my limited tube rolling experience for this class of tube:
    1) G.E. 5670 Black Plate
    2) Tung-Sol C251
    3) 6N3 stock tubes that came with the unit
    4) Bendix 2C51 I've dismissed entirely
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Leroy, what are you using the tubes with? Those tubes are used in my son's Maverick DAC/Pre
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Leroy, what are you using the tubes with? Those tubes are used in my son's Maverick DAC/Pre
    The 5670, 2C51, and 396A are the tube type for the Qinpu A-6000 Integrated Amp. I tried to order the W.E. 396A earlier today but the retailer is out of stock at the moment so will try again in a couple of weeks.

The Tung Sol 2C51 pair that I currently possess have 3 black plates per tube. The G.E. 5670 have 2 black plates per tube.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I've been quite pleased with the sound that the GE's produce. I listened to the stock tubes for a few hours and they were OK but as soon as I added the 5670's I was blown away by the sound of the A3 amp. Everything you described about these tubes and how they sound with the Qinpu amp is accurate.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I've been quite pleased with the sound that the GE's produce. I listened to the stock tubes for a few hours and they were OK but as soon as I added the 5670's I was blown away by the sound of the A3 amp. Everything you described about these tubes and how they sound with the Qinpu amp is accurate.
    Thanks for validating my findings. I was surprised how well the 5670's presented the music. From all of my research the 5670's were not highly regarded and the 396A's still get all the pub. I shall find out soon enough.

On another note, you had previously mentioned the possibility of trying out different cables in search of fine tuning the SQ. Does your audio system have the capacity for optical cable?

Today I got in a new optical cable, Toslink Siflex Glass Digital Cable, $60.00. This is going to sound strange but the effect the Glass optical cable has on the Tannoy's is 1) it sounds like the Tannoy's became more efficient. Just a little turn on the volume knob and the music is louder at the same setting versus the previous optical or coax cable I was using before. 2) Even at lower volumes the resolution is easily distinguished from top to bottom and even "fixed" the top end on the Tung-Sol 2c51 tubes. 3) The warmth is just right.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 07-09-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add content
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Thanks for validating my findings. I was surprised how well the 5670's presented the music. From all of my research the 5670's were not highly regarded and the 396A's still get all the pub. I shall find out soon enough.

On another note, you had previously mentioned the possibility of trying out different cables in search of fine tuning the SQ. Does your audio system have the capacity for optical cable?

Today I got in a new optical cable, Toslink Siflex Glass Digital Cable, $60.00. This is going to sound strange but the effect the Glass optical cable has on the Tannoy's is 1) it sounds like the Tannoy's became more efficient. Just a little turn on the volume knob and the music is louder at the same setting versus the previous optical or coax cable I was using before. 2) Even at lower volumes the resolution is easily distinguished from top to bottom and even "fixed" the top end on the Tung-Sol 2c51 tubes. 3) The warmth is just right.
    I've heard about glass cables but have never tried them. Do you mean these interconnects?

SILFLEX Glass Toslink MiniPlug Digital Audio Optical Cables, ST, Mini Plug, Duplex and Armored and Optisilk

I don't see why they would not work on my system also. Might be worth a try. I do need to get a couple more interconnects for the current A3 and then also when I purchase the next amp. I may use this instead of the Golden Gate by AudioQuest if they are that good. How do I determine if they can or cannot work on my system?

Yes, the 396a's seem to be the best tube for the Qinpu amps according to users that have tried both. But I guess when it comes to system matching it remains to be seen which is best depending upon the ears of the listener.

Forum Regular
    I've heard about glass cables but have never tried them. Do you mean these interconnects?

SILFLEX Glass Toslink MiniPlug Digital Audio Optical Cables, ST, Mini Plug, Duplex and Armored and Optisilk

I don't see why they would not work on my system also. Might be worth a try. I do need to get a couple more interconnects for the current A3 and then also when I purchase the next amp. I may use this instead of the Golden Gate by AudioQuest if they are that good. How do I determine if they can or cannot work on my system?

Yes, the 396a's seem to be the best tube for the Qinpu amps according to users that have tried both. But I guess when it comes to system matching it remains to be seen which is best depending upon the ears of the listener.
    Yes, thats' the one, however, it's a single optical cable and not a pair of I.C.'s. I have the Siflex going out from my HHB to the input of the G.F. DAC. I must clarify I previous statement....the fix on the top end of the T.S. tube is giving the tube a delicate chime and extension that was not there before. However the Siflex is as best as I can tell equal to the warmth of the T.S. tube. With the T.S. tube and Siflex in the system my Tannoy's got deeper in the bass and more bass texture too. Bass lines really sound excellent with the Siflex in play.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

AR Newbie Registered Member

US dealer's webpage to buy online a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4?

Hi! I want to buy online a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 but I can't find any online dealer in the US. Shipping from UK is over 200 dollars!. Can you help me with a link to some reliable dealer in the US? Thanks!

Forum Regular

Be sure to read the terms of sale before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mjablanc View Post
    Hi! I want to buy online a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 but I can't find any online dealer in the US. Shipping from UK is over 200 dollars!. Can you help me with a link to some reliable dealer in the US? Thanks!
    Hi, I got my TMV4's from Hi Fi Heaven. My initial shipment had one speaker that was damaged during transit. I had to do all the leg work to get the damaged speaker replaced. I had to send photo evidence of the damaged speaker via email, had to call UPS for a pick up, and had to follow up with the retailer to confirm they were aware UPS picked up the damaged speaker. Hi Fi Heaven did not have any specific individual working my case. Once I called them to confirm all the above then the replacement speaker was shipped to me. The box from the second shipment/replacement order looked like it had imploded. Again, UPS was the shipper. However, the replacement speaker was somehow undamaged.

Be sure to read the return policy before you decide you want to buy from these guys.

Tannoy Mercury V4 Floorstanding Loudspeaker

Good Luck.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Thanks! Hi Fi Heaven is Canadian, right? So I suppose there are not online dealers inside US. Still don't understand why Amazon UK sell them but not Amazon US. Wish me luck! I will tell you later if my purchase become a horror story...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mjablanc View Post
    Thanks! Hi Fi Heaven is Canadian, right? So I suppose there are not online dealers inside US. Still don't understand why Amazon UK sell them but not Amazon US. Wish me luck! I will tell you later if my purchase become a horror story...
    Your welcome. HFH is in Green Bay,WI. Best of luck.
    mjablanc likes this.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Oh! Wisconsin! Great! Thanks a lot!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information