Taking sand out.

Printable View

• 10-30-2004, 07:02 PM
    lumiere
    Taking sand out.
    Hi.
    Does anybody know what's the best way to take the sound out of a speaker? Just trying to find out before I fill mine with sand.
    Cheers
  • 10-31-2004, 06:08 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I'm baffled by that post. Rephrase and ask again!
  • 10-31-2004, 06:41 AM
    NickWH
    He's refererring to the compartment at the bottom of his Totem tower speakers. There is a fillable portion of the cabinet that you can use to add mass to the unit, not unlike a speaker stand.

What baffles me is why anyone would want to take the stuff out? If this is a concern, I wouldn't use sand, as it would make a huge mess. I would use a different material like Atabites:

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/

Still, once it's in there, it's really not worth the effort to remove it. Is the concern for moving?
  • 10-31-2004, 10:14 AM
    lumiere
    Thanks.
    Hi.
    Sorry it\f I wasn't clear. The reason I asked is 'cause I didn't know if I was going to like the sound once sandfilled. Anyway, I do like the sound, so it doesn't matter. Altough Totem recomends taking the sand out if you're moving. That's not the case with me.
    Thanks again.
  • 10-31-2004, 07:37 PM
    N. Abstentia
    The part that confused me was the "how do you take sound out of a speaker". Was that supposed to be 'sand' instead of 'sound?
  • 11-01-2004, 02:16 AM
    Garrardman
    I think it was supposed to be "sand" and not "sound".
    However, just in case i'm wrong, the best way to take the sound out of a speaker is to open them up and disconnect the drive units.

:D

Adam.
  • 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM
    lumiere
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The part that confused me was the "how do you take sound out of a speaker". Was that supposed to be 'sand' instead of 'sound?

Ooops!! Just noticed that sounding mistake now. :p That explains a lot.
    Anyway, i like the sound better now with the sand.
    Cheers
  • 11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
    HokieVT
    How do you take sound out of a speaker?
  • 11-01-2004, 03:10 PM
    cashlz
    With a sledgehammer.
  • 11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
    jeffrodesiac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lumiere
    Hi.
    Does anybody know what's the best way to take the sound out of a speaker? Just trying to find out before I fill mine with sand.
    Cheers

Ive heard of ppl using lead shot balls but sand?