Forum Regular

Boston Acoustics A60

Does anyone know what size speakers these are and 2-way or 3-way system? 8" paper woofers? There's an ebay auction for these and the seller has no clue what they are made of and no specs on the web.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I used to own a pair of these. They're great. Old school. I'm pretty certain it has an 8 inch polymer woofer and a 1-inch dome tweeter. Totally enclosed so good for putting in a cabinet or aghainst a wall.

Chicago IL
    just google it. There is so much info about those speakers, I just checked

Forum Regular

Yup... decent speaker...

...I had the A70s (almost 30 years ago), the 150s not too long ago, and still have the A100s. Lotsa memories with that brand...

Yes, it's a SEAS 1" soft-dome tweeter, and an 8" woof. Poppa says it's a polymer woofer, but seems more like paper/pulp to me... not sure. The foam surrounds usually need attention, and the kits are a cheap fix. Boston STILL carries new woofers for the "A" line if necessary.

These are quite efficient (ca. 90 dB/1 watt/1 meter, IIRC) and easy on the ears. Decent dynamics for a relatively small speaker.

Heehee... I believe the "Boston Acoustics" logo spins around allowing sideways placement so the badge is parallel to the floor :*) That was the case on my 70s, anyway...

Good luck!

Forum Regular

Oh man, I loved my A60 series 2 speakers!!

Too bad the foam surrounds disintegrated on each of the woofers after about 5 years of ownership. As best as I can recall, the woofer's were 9" paper or pulp, and the tweeter was 1" dome.

I did not even think about refoaming them so I traded them in for some Yamaha floorstanders way back about 15-16 years ago.. I wish I would have kept the A-60's. I also liked the A-100's but never got around to buying them. This series 2 from BA is the only series I have ever liked from that company thus far and if you can get a pair with foam intact and with woofer and tweeter undamaged then you very likely would enjoy the heck of these speakers..

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Pulled my old (i.e. 1988) A60s from the basement and gave them a test run (in the basement) - didn't sound bad for having woofers that as everyone mentioned, had the foam surrounds half-gone (should they not be like that?! ). May have to buy replacement foam since I don't think KEF supports my reconditioning of my 103.2s.

Any advice on either set's reconditioning would be appreciated - KEFs still (1986) sound good at high volume but a bit fuzzy when quiet. I am a casual rock listener, not a classical audiophile but I can turn a Phillips screwdriver if I can find a woofer or two on the cheap.

I have a pair of the A60's Series II. As PoppaC said they have a dome tweeter, and a 8 inch poly woofer. The series 1 had a paper woofer I believe. Both are notorious for surround rot. I got mine at a garage sale, already refoamed for $35 last year.Not the best re-foaming job (cosmetically), but still sound great.
    Last edited by luvtolisten; 07-15-2010 at 05:28 PM.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The A series was very Polk-like to me...to me, a good thing. Love Polk Audio. But A buddy of mine had A100s w/ A60 as surround. T'was nice. Its easier than you think to source woofers for these.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information