Forum Regular

Which subs you can use

I was under the impression that any sub can be used with any system. I was told that a PDR 10 or 12 would not work right with a Studio 20 setup. He said i would need to go with a seismic 10 if i wanted to stay with paradigm. Is this true or is he just trying to make a larger sale.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    You can use ANY sub with any system. It might not be a very good match, however...in your case the PDR-12 is a significant drop in performance from Studio 20's, IMO.

I'd recommend the PW-2100 or PW-2200 if you must stick with Paradigm, those represent the best bang for the buck IMO.

But for subs, Paradigm is behind the ball, IMO. Check out HSU, SVS, or better yet, build your own from a kit. For example:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-762

Or
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-770

Don't be fooled by the low price on the last one. Not the flashiest looking unit, but it'll whoop the PDR-12. I've built a few of these for friends now using the woofer/amp combo. Scary good performance.

I built the 12" Titanic for my parents a few years back - it completely outclassed my Paradigm PW-2200. And it's cheaper. Easy to assemble, far superior sound. The 15 inch actually sounds bit better, though doesn't play quite as loud, IMO...better for music use than home theater by a bit, though well suited for both. But it's big.

Parts Express has other great options too, depending on your budget.

While I think your sales dude may be a bit deceptive saying you can't use the PDR-10, he's not completely off his rocker trying to keep you from doing so.

Forum Regular
    okay i really wanted to go with SVS anyway. Thanks for the quick reply

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    [snip], or better yet, build your own from a kit. For example:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-762

Or
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-770

Don't be fooled by the low price on the last one. Not the flashiest looking unit, but it'll whoop the PDR-12. I've built a few of these for friends now using the woofer/amp combo. Scary good performance.
    ^Whata great link! I plan to buy the 15" Dayton and will give the plans to my dad (the cabinet maker - not me!) to build the box.

sweeet.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Paradigm used to have the best subs out there. But when they changed the Servo 15 and doubled the price things started going downhill. The Servo 15 is still a great sub...but not $2000 great.

spf
    Canuck AV Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Paradigm used to have the best subs out there. But when they changed the Servo 15 and doubled the price things started going downhill. The Servo 15 is still a great sub...but not $2000 great.
    Yeah, the 400 watt amp they had in it before was perfectly fine and it hit low and clean. This new amp (which I think is borrowed from their Seismic line) couldn't be all that much better or else it would have been in the Servo first. Just my two cents.

Shane

Thread Information