Forum Regular

Subs... two 10 inches or just one 12 inch??

The room is around 30sqm... I'm using the old PSB Subsonic5 (10in) and it's not enough...

It would definitely be cheaper if i were to purchase the new Subsonic5(10in) and have it paired with the old one.... Would having both subs sound better,stronger and deeper compared to just one 12 inch, the more expensive B&W ASW650??

The Onkyo TX-SR602 is my receiver... tnx

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The dual 10" subs won't play any lower, you will however gain some output. It becomes increasingly complicated to place 2 subs in a room though.

I'm about to try for the 3rd time adding a 2nd sub to my system. I've been unable to get worthwhile results so far, but I think this time it might be a go. I'm using 15" subs with response below 20 Hz though so playing deeper isn't a concern for me.

It's quite likely that you could find a 12" sub that is stronger than 2 10" subs in terms of output, has better sound quality, and also plays lower or deeper.

Selling the old sub should free up enough cash to cover the difference. For you, I think an improvement in subs would give more satisfaction than adding more of what you have already.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bngsdad
    The room is around 30sqm... I'm using the old PSB Subsonic5 (10in) and it's not enough...

It would definitely be cheaper if i were to purchase the new Subsonic5(10in) and have it paired with the old one.... Would having both subs sound better,stronger and deeper compared to just one 12 inch, the more expensive B&W ASW650??

The Onkyo TX-SR602 is my receiver... tnx
    You do have a fair sized room.

Putting another of the same sub on top of the other should result in a 6 dB increase in output capability. You should ask Richard Greene.

The most efficient place to put a sub is in a corner, where it will play louder, deeper, and also have a flatter response. This presupposes a crossover below 80 hz and a reasonably steep low pass filter.

You can't simply go by the diameter of the woofer as the maximum output and low frequency extension also depend on the overall design.

For approximately the same price as the B & W sub you could get the Hsu STF-3 or one of the SVS models.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    An SVS 25-31 or a 20-39 shouldnt have a problem filling your room with more then enough bass. Both 12 inchers.
    Look & Listen

Have you looked at the Sunfire line of subs? I know they are a little more expensive, but I prefer the sealed sound to ported.

http://www.sunfire.com/SuperJrPR.htm
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Good follow-up points. There are some 10" subs that are better than 12" subs, a 12" sub of the same quality should be better than a 10".

I wouldn't mix and match subs, two of the same or only one sub.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The dual 10" subs won't play any lower, you will however gain some output. It becomes increasingly complicated to place 2 subs in a room though.

I'm about to try for the 3rd time adding a 2nd sub to my system. I've been unable to get worthwhile results so far, but I think this time it might be a go. I'm using 15" subs with response below 20 Hz though so playing deeper isn't a concern for me.

It's quite likely that you could find a 12" sub that is stronger than 2 10" subs in terms of output, has better sound quality, and also plays lower or deeper.

Selling the old sub should free up enough cash to cover the difference. For you, I think an improvement in subs would give more satisfaction than adding more of what you have already.
    Well said, and my recommendation for a 12" sub would be this one.
    Klipsch 12" RSW Reference sub.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Two 15" subs? Do Like I do

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'm using 15" subs with response below 20 Hz though so playing deeper isn't a concern for me.
    One directly in the corner, another 1/3 out from the opposite side wall, sitting between the mains but slighty off to one side. The corner one volume is set about ~3-5db DOWN.

It's not the absolute best for one person (which would be everthing set to Cardas rules), but for multiple seating the nodes are not nearly as pronounced.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information