Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dude! Speakers in, sub almost ready. Sounds like you are almost ready for lift-off.
    T-minus 25 and counting...........
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Glad it worked out...dude, that $140 I just saved you, we can split it

I know flush mounted amps look cool on the back of the sub, but I don't know why we go to all that trouble...they work just as well sticking out a 1/4 an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Glad it worked out...dude, that $140 I just saved you, we can split it

I know flush mounted amps look cool on the back of the sub, but I don't know why we go to all that trouble...they work just as well sticking out a 1/4 an inch.
    I think for most guys, being off by a 1/4 in looks more like being off by 6 in.

Quick question for anyone. What the heck are those little arrows on sub woofer cables for?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Quick question for anyone. What the heck are those little arrows on sub woofer cables for?
    They indicate the direction the electrons flow when in use.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    They indicate the direction the electrons flow when in use.
    Except you could you plug it in backwards and electrons will still flow against the direction of the arrow. My understanding is the arrows are pointing at the grounded RCA, the other one is lifted...theoretically it could reduce noise with some gear I guess, most gear won't exhibit any difference, but depending who you believe there are either very minor, or no benefits what so ever. Can't hurt, I guess. I had mine plugged in backwards for 2 years. Didn't sound any different when I corrected it.

I'm all done!!!

Finished the sub this morning. Pretty simple to put together. I still gotta tweak. I did give this baby a U57-1 test drive and BAM!!!!, this bad boy can hit hard. Plenty, and I mean plenty of bass. Room was filled nicely. This is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Can't hear it here yet. Can you turn it up a little?

Finished the sub this morning. Pretty simple to put together. I still gotta tweak. I did give this baby a U57-1 test drive and BAM!!!!, this bad boy can hit hard. Plenty, and I mean plenty of bass. Room was filled nicely. This is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Sounds like you're happy so far...I'm sure you'll love this sub. I foresee it being the first of many DIY projects...seriously, I haven't heard a sub for the price that comes close in output and sound quality other than competing kits. And I don't think there's many of those out there.
    Next up, a BFD to get you all eq'd...Enjoy.

Forum Regular

Can I Add A Question Here?

I am new here and have read this thread with interest. I also will be looking for a sub for my bedroom soon. About the same dimensions 11x13x9'ceiling. I currently have an Energy ES-8 which I like very much. However, I will be selling it with the whole Take 5 system (that's a diff. story).

This 10" Titanic sounds like a great buy (I read the Wes Philips review). However, I have a problem with arthritic hands and think I might have a problem with a kit. I was looking at the LFM-2 from Outlaw at $299 if anyone is familiar with it. I simply want to know if you guys think this might be in the same class as the Titanic? I would then pursue researching it further.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Maybe I should be asking my question in a new thread? Wasn't sure since this is sort of connected.

My apologies if I shouldn't be posting this question here. Thanks for any help or direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 846
    I am new here and have read this thread with interest. I also will be looking for a sub for my bedroom soon. About the same dimensions 11x13x9'ceiling. I currently have an Energy ES-8 which I like very much. However, I will be selling it with the whole Take 5 system (that's a diff. story).

This 10" Titanic sounds like a great buy (I read the Wes Philips review). However, I have a problem with arthritic hands and think I might have a problem with a kit. I was looking at the LFM-2 from Outlaw at $299 if anyone is familiar with it. I simply want to know if you guys think this might be in the same class as the Titanic? I would then pursue researching it further.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Maybe I should be asking my question in a new thread? Wasn't sure since this is sort of connected.

My apologies if I shouldn't be posting this question here. Thanks for any help or direction.
    Hi Alpha,

Welcome to AR.
    I don't know about the Outlaw. Never heard it. But for a few extra $$ you can get a pre-assembled kit from PE. Here are a few to choose from.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....up_ID=620&SO=2

Alpha

Hi Alpha,

Welcome to AR.
    I don't know about the Outlaw. Never heard it. But for a few extra $$ you can get a pre-assembled kit from PE. Here are a few to choose from.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....up_ID=620&SO=2
    Judging by the specs alone (which generally do tell the whole story when it comes to subs), I think there are better options for the money than Outlaw. Outlaw makes good amps and are very popular for HT solutions (receivers, preamp/processors), but those subs look rather mediocre. I think you could do better elsewhere.

Those small Parts Express subs are comparable, and a lot cheaper, too. A Titanic would be a whole other ball game.

Sounds like you're happy so far...I'm sure you'll love this sub. I foresee it being the first of many DIY projects...seriously, I haven't heard a sub for the price that comes close in output and sound quality other than competing kits. And I don't think there's many of those out there.
    Next up, a BFD to get you all eq'd...Enjoy.
    Kex, your already trying to pressure me into spending more $$$$. I'm telling wifee on you

Kex, your already trying to pressure me into spending more $$$$. I'm telling wifee on you
    Kex get your hands out of his pockets

Forum Regular
    Thanks much for your replies.

The bad luck continues!

First I was screwed by UPS, then I have to do surgery to my PE subwoofer cabinent.

Well last night i ran my auto setup on my Onkyo and the dang mic decided it couldn't hear the surround speakers. I ran it maybe 5 or 6 times and it kept putting the surrounds as none although there were test tones coming from them. I will try it again tonight to see if I can get it going. Not sure if the problem would be the mic or the Onkyo.

Anybody else have problems with their auto setup?

I find them all pretty fussy, but never had that happen before. Is there a setting that has to be switched on, perhaps?

I find them all pretty fussy, but never had that happen before. Is there a setting that has to be switched on, perhaps?
    No. You put the setup mic in and the AVR recognizes it and starts the setup process after you click enter on the remote. It worked fine the first time I tried it but I didn't like the results so I ran it again. Test tones went through each channel as normal but the results came back as no surrounds. I ran it a few more times and then turned it off and tried a half hour later with the same outcome.

Hmm....I just gave it another test run and it worked fine this time, go figure. I just don't trust these things. Measurements seem ok but I'm gonna triple check. It would be nice if it got it right the first time and had the same results each time. I still gotta lot of tweaking to do.

No. You put the setup mic in and the AVR recognizes it and starts the setup process after you click enter on the remote. It worked fine the first time I tried it but I didn't like the results so I ran it again. Test tones went through each channel as normal but the results came back as no surrounds. I ran it a few more times and then turned it off and tried a half hour later with the same outcome.
    My Yammie was a little tempra-'mentle' last time I ran the auto-setup. It left out the rears even though tones were coming from them. I ran it again with the same results. Tried a 3rd time and everything was fine. Didn't press my luck, and just sent the settings to memory. Tweeked them after that.

My Yammie was a little tempra-'mentle' last time I ran the auto-setup. It left out the rears even though tones were coming from them. I ran it again with the same results. Tried a 3rd time and everything was fine. Didn't press my luck, and just sent the settings to memory. Tweeked them after that.
    So I guess this is normal then. I've never had any problems with my Denon's mic. it does seem to be built better than the Onkyo's though. Don't know if that makes a diff. My Denon always gives accurate results.

Don't see how it could be the mics fault. But then again, something is going on. I just figured that the computer was having a bad day & needed a hug. Or a fresh cup of really hot tea.

Don't see how it could be the mics fault. But then again, something is going on. I just figured that the computer was having a bad day & needed a hug. Or a fresh cup of really hot tea.
    Have you calibrated the old fashioned way and compared with the auto setup on your yammie? Were the results right on?

Have you calibrated the old fashioned way and compared with the auto setup on your yammie? Were the results right on?
    No, I never did make it to Radio Shack. But it came out so well that I just took it for granted.

Almost done!

I picked up stands and set everything up this weekend. Got the C-1's in place and man do they sound nice. I don't think I could ever get used to a unmatched system after knowing what matched system sounds like. I used the auto setup but haven't had a chance to double anything yet. Everything sounds great, but I haven't had a chance to give my bedroom system a proper breakin yet. You know, something like U-571 or Jurassic Park III. I watched Rocky II last night and it sounded pretty good, but I want let this baby rip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information