Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Well I ended up going with the 10" Titanic kit at PE. Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys for the advice. The free shipping offer popped up, so I said what the hell and jumped on it. I know I could've saved some $$ going with seperate pieces, but I started thinking about the hassle of it all and decided to pay a little extra simply for the convenience. $358 is a nice price, and I trust you guys advice that this is gonna be an excellent sub.

So now I have a bunch of boxes on the way to the house that wifee doesn't know about. My surrounds should be here any day also. This should be fun......especially when I pull the I saved us some money by going with Audiogon and a sub kit(hey..women pull that all the time....Oh, I got these $300 worth of cloths, but honey, it was all on sale).

Is it possible that I'm turning to Pat P . What's next? Am I gonna start hiding amps and Verita's throughout the house? Maybe hook em up when no ones home and hope no one notices.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Let us know 2 things:

A: If you have any trouble putting it together.
    2: How it sounds when you're done.
    C: How your wife reacts.
    Hmm......what's wrong with this picture? GM, did you skip your coffee this morning

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well I ended up going with the 10" Titanic kit at PE. Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys for the advice. The free shipping offer popped up, so I said what the hell and jumped on it. I know I could've saved some $$ going with seperate pieces, but I started thinking about the hassle of it all and decided to pay a little extra simply for the convenience. $358 is a nice price, and I trust you guys advice that this is gonna be an excellent sub.

So now I have a bunch of boxes on the way to the house that wifee doesn't know about. My surrounds should be here any day also. This should be fun......especially when I pull the I saved us some money by going with Audiogon and a sub kit(hey..women pull that all the time....Oh, I got these $300 worth of cloths, but honey, it was all on sale).

Is it possible that I'm turning to Pat P . What's next? Am I gonna start hiding amps and Verita's throughout the house? Maybe hook em up when no ones home and hope no one notices.
    Let us know 2 things:

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hmm......what's wrong with this picture? GM, did you skip your coffee this morning
    Two: A, 2, C..

What's wrong with that? Don't you know your AB3's?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I only have 1 power amp,2 channel (300 watts at 4ohms) and 2 center channel in hidding

Let us know 2 things:

You know how is wife going to react ,he better vulunteer as we speak to do dishes ,laundry ,is manly duty for the next few months Got to admit he as guts,I would never bring sub in bedroom.Try to follow the beat while you doing itttttttttttt.Are you able to go down to 20 hz movement?

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    You know how is wife going to react ,he better vulunteer as we speak to do dishes ,laundry ,is manly duty for the next few months Got to admit he as guts,I would never bring sub in bedroom.Try to follow the beat while you doing itttttttttttt.Are you able to go down to 20 hz movement?
    Nuthin' wrong with a little extra thumpin'.

Nuthin' wrong with a little extra thumpin'.
    It surely going to leave a bruise

Actually, I do a little bit of housework already. Not much, just enough to keep the little lady happy. The little bit of effort toward housework goes a long way.

20hz!! Please!! I can go way lower than that

Actually, I do a little bit of housework already. Not much, just enough to keep the little lady happy. The little bit of effort toward housework goes a long way.

20hz!! Please!! I can go way lower than that
    Dont do much housework I do this for a living taking care of 2 church.When the wife complain in cleaning 2,000sq ft in a week I tell her to try cleaning 20,000sq ft each day .

Dont do much housework I do this for a living taking care of 2 church.When the wife complain in cleaning 2,000sq ft in a week I tell her to try cleaning 20,000sq ft each day .
    Wife does the cleaning, I do the cooking and take care of anything outside.
    I buy the stereo, she listens to it.
    I hook up the HT, we watch chick flicks.
    I run free on Saturdays while she goes to work. (heh heh heh.....)

Ok so here's the scoop. Instead of being a jerk and have 3 boxes show up at the door, starting today, I broke the news to wifee. I was like, hey can you keep an eye out, I got some boxes comig to the house. And she was like, let me guess speakers right?

Then she said: I hope you got those C-1's you were looking at. I agree that the surrounds should timbre match to give us that seamless transition from front to rear. Oh, you only got the 10" kit? Well why'd you do that? You should have got the 12" kit. Well hurry up and get it all calibrated, once it gets here. I can't wait to here the difference between this system and our main one up front. Well, since you've been working so hard on this, why don't you take a break. Here's a beer in your favorite chilled mug. Well the kids are sleep and we have some spare time, why dont we..............(LJ wakes up)

Ok so I was day dreaming. Where was I. Oh yeah, she was like, let me guess speakers right? Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would.

Ok so here's the scoop. Instead of being a jerk and have 3 boxes show up at the door, starting today, I broke the news to wifee. I was like, hey can you keep an eye out, I got some boxes comig to the house. And she was like, let me guess speakers right?

Then she said: I hope you got those C-1's you were looking at. I agree that the surrounds should timbre match to give us that seamless transition from front to rear. Oh, you only got the 10" kit? Well why'd you do that? You should have got the 12" kit. Well hurry up and get it all calibrated, once it gets here. I can't wait to here the difference between this system and our main one up front. Well, since you've been working so hard on this, why don't you take a break. Here's a beer in your favorite chilled mug. Well the kids are sleep and we have some spare time, why dont we..............(LJ wakes up)

Ok so I was day dreaming. Where was I. Oh yeah, she was like, let me guess speakers right? Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would.
    Oh my G.d dude! How could you do that to me? My heart was thumping and I had this warm feeling all over. Then you dropped my heart like a brick, and I felt icy cold.

OH IT HURTS SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The" LOOK "is not a good thing!You really think it went better than you thought? Your toast ,its been nice knowing you Sleep with one eye open ,make sure you have house key when you go out.Make an escape plan,if you see a shadow with knife when your in the shower .If a registered letter comes to the door with lawyer label on top ,dont even sign for it

The" LOOK "is not a good thing!You really think it went better than you thought? Your toast ,its been nice knowing you Sleep with one eye open ,make sure you have house key when you go out.Make an escape plan,if you see a shadow with knife when your in the shower .If a registered letter comes to the door with lawyer label on top ,dont even sign for it
    Oh it won't be THAT bad. But don't count on it being done LJ. You will have to pay something, somehow or somewhere. She may come home one day with a boat-load of worthless crap. If you ask her what's up, you'll get another look, and then a remember when speech. Or she'll start bugging you for a new diamond or other jewlery. Oh yeah, it's not over yet. Not by a long shot.

Serves you right for getting my hopes up like that. My heart still hurts.

Does GM know women or what! Odds are, she's gonna go on a little shopping spree soon and I can't say nothing about it. Not that I usually do, but this time she may have a few more bags than normal. As long as one of those bags say Victoria Secrets, I could care less how much she spent. That's a house rule . Anymore tips and I'm gonna have to charge.....

My C-1's should be coming today. I will try not to as I open the box and just play it .

Does GM know women or what!
    Unfortunately, I know that no matter how cute and cuddly they seem to be, they always have a dark side. When my wife first saw it snow (she's from the Philippines) she asked me how the wild animals would survive. What will the squirrels & birds eat? She even asked if we could leave the downstairs door open for them to come in and get warm. Now that's adorable. But I would put money on, that if we were walking in the woods, and I got my leg caught in a bear trap, that she'd laugh till she couldn't walk. And after she wiped the tears from her eyes she's tell me what an idiot I was. "That trap has probably been there for weeks. All the bears were smart enough to walk around it. But you? No, you have to step right in it. How stupid are you anyhow?" Then she'd tell me that I probably expect her to go for help now. She was all ready for a nice walk and now she has to drop everything and go get her idiot husband help. This will cost me. Now I owe her.

Odds are, she's gonna go on a little shopping spree soon and I can't say nothing about it. Not that I usually do, but this time she may have a few more bags than normal. As long as one of those bags say Victoria Secrets, I could care less how much she spent.
    Vicky S huh? Go shopping babe. I'll even go with her (my wife, not yours). There are always a few hot babes there checking out something. But there may also be one of those 400 pounders holding up a G-string that looks like a bull whip. No honey! Put that down! Now back away from the table. Slowly turn and leave the store. Why do they make those in that size anyhow?

My C-1's should be coming today. I will try not to as I open the box and just play it .

Good luck. Keep your head down. But keep an eye out for what's to come.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    "Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would."

Think of that "look" as a display mode.....
    Inside the brain is calculating the appropriate measured response at a time and date to be determined.
    Upon detonation ( if you are able to survive the initial blast wave ) you will have 30 seconds to take action. Choose carefully your action or those will become very expensive speakers that you will be paying for for years to come.....

You guys are funny! I'll have to have my wife read this for kicks.....well after I get my speakers of course.

Dang UPS!!! Never showed up with m C-1's yesterday.

Kex, I started on my sub kit but when I got to the amp mounting part, I discovered that the amp does not sit flush inside the precut amp cutout. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the left side is flush but the right is out about a 1/4". This couldn't be right. Whaddaya think? I can't call PE until the morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sub for my bedroom?-amp.jpg  

Kex, I started on my sub kit but when I got to the amp mounting part, I discovered that the amp does not sit flush inside the precut amp cutout. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the left side is flush but the right is out about a 1/4". This couldn't be right. Whaddaya think? I can't call PE until the morning.
    LJ did you measure the amp plate to see if its bigger ,if not might need a bit of pressure to push it in.Dont screw it until its flush all around.Looks at an angle from here.Good luck

LJ did you measure the amp plate to see if its bigger ,if not might need a bit of pressure to push it in.Dont screw it until its flush all around.Looks at an angle from here.Good luck
    I tried to push it down with no luck. I may pick up a router at Home Depot tomorrow so I can smooth out the edges on the precut. I don't wanna ship this back to PE and have to go through another UPS fiasco again. I'll call PE tomorrow to see what they say.

I tried to push it down with no luck. I may pick up a router at Home Depot tomorrow so I can smooth out the edges on the precut. I don't wanna ship this back to PE and have to go through another UPS fiasco again. I'll call PE tomorrow to see what they say.
    Good luck! Any of your friend have one?A Router Zip would work fine too.Make a template(patern of amp plate) on carboard and center it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    LJ, you've been having some bad luck this week.
    These are made for PE by some machine shop as I understand it. I've never heard of anything not fitting (you'd see complaints on PE's forum if it were common), and mine certainly fit perfectly.

I think I'd be more inclined to use a Dremel tool and sand it down, but a router would work. Just be carefull.

When I flush mount my plate amps, I almost always spend 30 minutes of minor surgery. I take a utility knife or chisel to the cutout for the plate amp and remove just enough MDF for it to fit, then sand it flush. Depends how far off the cutout it is. I can't really tell by the picture. I find the countersunk amp cutout to be the toughest cut on a sub. Lots of DIYers don't bother.

What bit would use on the router? Is the cutout big enough? A bearing flush trim bit won't be any good to you if it's too small, and flush trim bit could end up taking too much off. That might be worse.

This should be very easy to fix without a router, but might take a bit of time and frustration...that's the fun part of DIY...You should see how many speaker cabinets I've launched out my shop in frustration

You could call PE. I'm very certain they'd do what it takes to make things right. Downside is the wait time, and extra cost for a shipping upgrade. Fixing this yourself might be easier. Your call.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 03-09-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    LJ, you've been having some bad luck this week.
    These are made for PE by some machine shop as I understand it. I've never heard of anything not fitting (you'd see complaints on PE's forum if it were common), and mine certainly fit perfectly.

I think I'd be more inclined to use a Dremel tool and sand it down, but a router would work. Just be carefull.

When I flush mount my plate amps, I almost always spend 30 minutes of minor surgery. I take a utility knife or chisel to the cutout for the plate amp and remove just enough MDF for it to fit, then sand it flush. Depends how far off the cutout it is. I can't really tell by the picture. I find the countersunk amp cutout to be the toughest cut on a sub. Lots of DIYers don't bother.

What bit would use on the router? Is the cutout big enough? A bearing flush trim bit won't be any good to you if it's too small, and flush trim bit could end up taking too much off. That might be worse.

This should be very easy to fix without a router, but might take a bit of time and frustration...that's the fun part of DIY...You should see how many speaker cabinets I've launched out my shop in frustration

You could call PE. I'm very certain they'd do what it takes to make things right. Downside is the wait time, and extra cost for a shipping upgrade. Fixing this yourself might be easier. Your call.
    Kex, your post got me thinking so I said the hell with the router. I pulled out a utility knife and some precision cutting tools and after about 30 mins of labor it finally fit snuggly into place. Seems that two of the corners were not properly cut out so I had to go over those corners a few times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information