Thread: Antenna HELP!

Forum Regular

Antenna HELP!

Hey audiogods... T-Bone here.

I have a good sony tuner (although I am not sure how good), and I am wanting to know where I go to purchase an antenna. Are there specific types of antenna? Are there manufacturers out there to look for?

ANY information is better than where I am. Thanks... T-Bone

Talking Unnh what kind of antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Hey audiogods... T-Bone here.

I have a good sony tuner (although I am not sure how good), and I am wanting to know where I go to purchase an antenna. Are there specific types of antenna? Are there manufacturers out there to look for?

ANY information is better than where I am. Thanks... T-Bone
    Are we talking AM, FM, over the air HDTV? Are you in a home, apartment, rurual or urban? What has worked for you before?

Can't help without this information..

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Bit more info

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry about the lack of information... since I know little about it, I suppose I overlooked those details. I live in a medium sized city in Canada, in the top floor of a house. I am looking primarily for an FM antenna, although an AM antenna would be nice as well (If it is one or the other FM for sure). I have not used an antenna before so I am wondering what my options are.

Hope this clarifies things a bit... T-Bone

Radio Shack makes a nifty little ($20) FM yagi. With that and some mounting hardware, you should get off for < 60 or so. Ifyou live closer to stations and they are all around you (say < 30 miles or so), then they have an omnidirectional for around the same price.

In either case, you'll need a mast, some way to mount it on the structure and some lead in cable. Once that's done, you can mount any antenna on it.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Are we talking AM, FM, over the air HDTV? Are you in a home, apartment, rurual or urban? What has worked for you before?

Can't help without this information..

Da Worfster
    I am in a house in the burbs where the reception is ok near windows for Onkyo and Sony late model HT receivers. However, my denon TU-280 only receives FM on rainy days from an interior wall. Can I use my digital cable as an FM antenna?
    Should I run an external antenna from the roof? I am trying the Magnum Ribbon internal, but it won't work on sunny days. Thanks for your help.

I'm using....

I'm getting great results near the window in my metal + brick apartment building with a Terk FM Pro indoor/outdoor amplified antenna. No other antenna I tried worked acceptably in this building. (tried small amplified and wire antennas) Downside is that the antenna is about 4 feet long and was designed so that the antenna cable attaches at the center of the antenna, making it very difficult to hide in some places.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Cool

Thanks for your reply. It's my roof, but I have the wire across the room in front of the door problem which I can only avoid by drilling through the outside wall. The cable installer has already done that, so I was hoping to tap into the cable antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    I'm getting great results near the window in my metal + brick apartment building with a Terk FM Pro indoor/outdoor amplified antenna. No other antenna I tried worked acceptably in this building. (tried small amplified and wire antennas) Downside is that the antenna is about 4 feet long and was designed so that the antenna cable attaches at the center of the antenna, making it very difficult to hide in some places.

Thread Information