Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Is there a reason that a thread that ended in 2004 is being dug up? Joe I can afford almost any panel going past or present -- I disagree with your conclusion -- generally speking the ESL needs to be gigantic -- and few rooms can support them adequately. Which is one reason I have avoided them. Most of the smaller ones like Martin Logan realize the problem and have put conventional woofers in to try and compensate for the big problems that stats have in the bass and dynamics region. But in my listening ML has created more problems than they have solved and I would still prefer to listen to the Quads. The 989 is the smallest best panel I have heard. And a number of boxed speakers I have heard still do dynamics, bass drive and pressure better. Quads do the holographic imaging and some of the unrelated to music but "audiophile" stuff much better than most. The 989 is the only one I have heard that I think I could live with long term -- but it isn't my first choice.
    Ok RGA better late than never, the king of kings dollar for dollar, very very hard to beat.

Acoustat Spectra 6600 Modified by J.J. Quebec. Canada

Chord CPM-2600 Amplifier
    Chord One Cd player
    Acoustat 1+1s Speakers

Acoustat Heaven On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Is there a reason that a thread that ended in 2004 is being dug up? Joe I can afford almost any panel going past or present -- I disagree with your conclusion -- generally speking the ESL needs to be gigantic -- and few rooms can support them adequately. Which is one reason I have avoided them. Most of the smaller ones like Martin Logan realize the problem and have put conventional woofers in to try and compensate for the big problems that stats have in the bass and dynamics region. But in my listening ML has created more problems than they have solved and I would still prefer to listen to the Quads. The 989 is the smallest best panel I have heard. And a number of boxed speakers I have heard still do dynamics, bass drive and pressure better. Quads do the holographic imaging and some of the unrelated to music but "audiophile" stuff much better than most. The 989 is the only one I have heard that I think I could live with long term -- but it isn't my first choice.
    Come on RGA. Every regular poster including me knows by now what you like. You weren't supposed to take that seriously.

As for ML's; all of the current line (except the TOL) have ESL panels that IMO are way to small and a crossover point to the woofer way too high. With that said, a pair of CLS2Z's and a pair of very decent subs could work for me.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

i'm sorry - those speakers are just too damn big.

Lovely speaker, makes my Apogee GRAND look small. How tall are they? My Grands are 7.5ft tall. These look like 13feet or something.

:-) Enjoy it...
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    i'm sorry - those speakers are just too damn big.
    No worries, with the optional brackets they can be wall mounted.......

AFAIK, Spectra 66/6600 are 7'10". Those appear to be in custom stands/cabinets.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat
    HOLY MAMA!!!

Forum Regular
    The AR 3a did NOT have a rear firing tweeter. Mine sounded wonderful driven by Dynaco MarkIII tube amps. They were FULL range, and could play ANY music accurately, from rock, to jazz, to classical. It wasn't until I heard the Fulton Js that I was forced to sell my AR 3a speakers. The Fultons are also full range, with a HUGE bass unit and electrostatic mid/high units. Without deep bass, the sound shrinks, and lacks foundation. Many instruments go into the lower 40hz, with great power. If your system cannot go at least to a true 35 hz, your sound will be compromised. When I went to the recent CAS, I was shocked at how small the speakers were. Yes, I was NOT shocked, given the small speakers, that most had little deep bass.

Forum Regular
    BTW, AR introduced both the acoustic suspension woofer AND the dome tweeter!!!

Forum Regular
    Wikipedia:

"Acoustic Research was well known for the AR-3 series of speaker systems. which used the 12 inch acoustic suspension woofer of the AR-1 with the newly designed dome mid-range and high-frequency drivers, which were the first of their kind. AR's line of acoustic suspension speakers were extraordinary for their time, as they were the first loudspeakers with flat response, extended bass, wide dispersion, small size, and reasonable cost."!!!

This thread apparently has nine lives.

Forum Regular

Red face

THIS LIST IS FLAWED! HOW ABOUT JBLs. THEY WERE STILL GOOD PRODUCT TILL HARMON RUINED THE BRAND. THE ADS SPEAKERS AND INFINITYS WERE NICE TOO. NEVER TO FORGET THE ORIGINAL MAGNEPAN MG 1.

First, enough with all capitol letters!!!!! No one will pay attention to you and the moderators may delete your posts.

No, the list isn't flawed. You seem to have forgotten the list is from Stereophile. JBL have never been very popular with the high end. If you are a reader of Stereophile or The Absolute Sound you wouldn't be asking why they left "insert name" off their list.

FWIW: I bought a new pair of MG-1's in 1976.

Lay off the capitol letters!!!!!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    so what's wrong with re-entering an OLD post. the subject is still relevant and ripe for new thoughts.

one of mine is that $5k is no guarantee of low bass, quite the opposite sometimes. and yet, one can get decent overall sound for much less than $5k with decent bass too.
    ...regards...tr

NINJA TURTLE

Talking speakers

I find DIY speaker project using linesource multiple drivers or modifying existing systems with multiple arrays which uses better drivers is much better for the hobbyist if they know what they are doing. Ohm acoustics with Ohm F or the ESS HEIL Transar or rock monitor should be in the list. Allison threes should be in the list as well Beveridge and KLH 9's. Too many great loudspeakers made in the past and present. Lot of defunct companies made great designs in the past like Polk SDA series and Infinity rs series and RTR and Janszen electrostats!

Forum Regular
    So if you're lucky enough to have a large house or apartment, don't skimp on speakers: look for large towers, with 8-inch (203mm) or larger woofers. Take the opposite course with small rooms, and go for bookshelf or tower speakers with 5-inch (127mm) or smaller woofers.
    Moose Jaw snow removal companies

Forum Regular
    Water easily seeps through openings around pipes and vents, putting your home at risk for bacteria and rot. In other words, your home will be at risk for costly damage.
    Saskatoon wall insulation

Forum Regular
    Tree planting programs implemented by a growing number of cities, local councils and organizations is mitigating the losses and in most cases increasing the number of trees in suburbia.
    https://www.patreeremoval.com/

Forum Regular
    Isn't that speakers are big? I am using a portable sony speaker mostly in my work from window screen repair bend Oregon, doing my job with music is more fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information