Forum Regular

Question Stands for my Paradigm Reference Studio 20!

Since i have almost got everything ready to hook on to some serious hi fidelity for the first time, i would like to be enlightened whether speaker stands really give a great boost to the speakers? Basically, i have the mission stancette and a few other locally made stands in my budget... Things such as, height, can it hold the speaker safely, and other factors are my doubt since i have just used the studio 20's on a bookshelf in the living room. So what is best? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Since i have almost got everything ready to hook on to some serious hi fidelity for the first time, i would like to be enlightened whether speaker stands really give a great boost to the speakers? Basically, i have the mission stancette and a few other locally made stands in my budget... Things such as, height, can it hold the speaker safely, and other factors are my doubt since i have just used the studio 20's on a bookshelf in the living room. So what is best? Thanks!
    http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm

Put the SKY-28D's at the top of your list for those speakers. Stands make a HUGE difference.

you will defo need stands for them speakers Two important factors are solidity, a single thin leg is unlikely to offer such, and affect sound quality. I, personally, prefer multi-leg designs, but they are not necessary for solidity. The other point is height, in other words use stands that allow the speaker's tweeter to be at ear height.
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

Forum Regular
    Nice to hear from you N. Absentia! Really appreciate both of your inputs... The thing is that the Sky 28D is not selling here in Singapore, and it is pricey!! I'm having some other options such as Mission and Atacama. Are they any good? Since i have spent all my cash for this, and i can only maybe go for around USD150 MAX! There is also the Wharfedale Glass 24 in stands, well within my budget, and so is the mission stancette...

Forum Regular
    The proper height of the stands depends on a couple of things. The first is how high your ears are when you sit down to listen. The second is the vertical dispersion of the speaker, which I don't know, though a previous version the Studio 20 was reviewed by Stereophile in 1998. John Atkinson wrote:

"Vertically (fig.5), the speaker offers pretty much the same balance as long as the listener's ear is between the top of the cabinet and the center of the woofer, meaning that tall stands are better than short stands."

http://stereophile.com/standloudspea...28/index3.html

I presume the vertical dispersion for the current models is similar.

I have the Paradigm Signature S2 speakers, which are also 2 way monitor speakers, placed on 29 inch stands. I wouldn't recommend anything much shorter. I find it best if my ears are a bit below the tweeter, and since my usual overstuffed chair is a little higher than usual, I have placed a couple of those little felt sticky furniture pads underneath the front of the stands to tilt the speakers back a little.

The construction of the stands is not very critical. They should be sturdy and not likely to fall over. Really. There's no good evidence that expensive stands make the speakers sound different.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    Thank you very much Pat! Appreciate a veteran opinion... The thing is that, stands are quite expensive here in Singapore! So the only options i have in my budget are the mission stancette and the wharfedale glass stands... These are both 24inch stands. So i would like all the opinions i can get, since i need to know if these are worthy enough for the speakers i have...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Thank you very much Pat! Appreciate a veteran opinion... The thing is that, stands are quite expensive here in Singapore! So the only options i have in my budget are the mission stancette and the wharfedale glass stands... These are both 24inch stands. So i would like all the opinions i can get, since i need to know if these are worthy enough for the speakers i have...
    I am not familiar with either stand. The picture on the Mission site looks OK. My speakers can be bolted to the stands and if possible, I highly recommend this as it makes it very easy to move the speakers around. Some people use two sided sticky tape or blu-tack but it wouldn't be as secure but would be a lot better than nothing and make it easier to move them around, I guess. I would think 24-25 inches is the minimum for best results, but slight upward tilt (you don't want to upset the balance and make the speaker easier to knock over backwards) may have the same result at the listening position. The vertical height isn't all that critical with most music.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information