Forum Regular

Special AR3 Discovery

Good day to all. I had an interesting experience yesterday. I purchased a pair of AR3s at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store. What made these unusual is that they were incased in a custom modular set up circa 1950's with the obligatory blond wood. The setup was very professionally constructed. It almost looked like it was made by Acoustic Research themselves because of the build quality. The exteriors had been knocked around a bit and I believe that is why they were passed on for several hours until I arrived. I noticed the paper tag on back announcing these as AR3s and I became VERY interested. They wanted $20 for the pair along with the housing and I paid it gladly. I lugged the setup home and carefully removed the speakers from their housing. To my delight and surprise, I found two near mint AR3s. It was as if they were in a time capsule and had been preserved by the cabinetry. All but one side had a very light pinkish paint. The grills were mint with both badges and the numeral 3. I connected them up last night and OMG...what sweet music! My question is: Is it possible that the blonde cabinetry was custom made for these speakers by Acoustic Research? Any insight would be appreciated. I took step-by-step photos of the removal should someone like to see them.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Please post them and someone may be able to help. Welcome to AudioReview.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Would love to see pics of those AR-3's.

BTW: Welcome to AR.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Just posted in Gallery. If you need to see more just let me know. Thank you!

Hot damn! They sure do look good. My first real pair of speakers were AR2's. I've been infected ever since.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information