• 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
    ychousa
    Speakers stored in a garage for a decade?
    Let's say if a set of speaker has been stored in a dry space for a decade(working condition when stored).. What are the chances that they are in working order?
  • 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
    markw
    In a dark, dry garage?
    If they weren't exposed to extreme temperatures, you should be fine.
  • 01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
    Florian
    Depends on the speaker system design. My Grands are a extreme example of this. They where stored for 4 years in their huge wooden crates in a Garage in Italy. Those 4 years where enough to destroy and dry out 36 relays and over 20 caps. Most speakers wont have that many parts but you can asume that you will have dry capacitors which may change the x.over frequenzy point. Other then that its fine :-)
  • 01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
    ychousa
    Thanks for your replies.
  • 01-22-2007, 10:30 PM
    StanleyMuso
    If the conditions in the garage were hot or humid,
    the surrounds may have rotted as well, especially if they are made from foam. At the very least you may have to re-foam them. The best storage conditions for speakers are at room temperature, without extremes of temp and humidity, and most definitely not in direct sunshine. I speak from experience.
  • 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian
    Depends on the speaker system design. My Grands are a extreme example of this. They where stored for 4 years in their huge wooden crates in a Garage in Italy. Those 4 years where enough to destroy and dry out 36 relays and over 20 caps. Most speakers wont have that many parts but you can asume that you will have dry capacitors which may change the x.over frequenzy point. Other then that its fine :-)

I'll bet you had lots of fun replacing those parts. Did you replace the caps with identicals or use higher quality?:)
  • 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
    emaidel
    My DQ-10's were stored in their original cartons in basements and garages from 1983, until 1993, when I took them out and used them in our bedroom, and rarely ever listened to them. Then, when we moved in 2002, I hooked them up in my new home and found that the surrounds had rotted. Strangely, they rotted while being used, rather than while in storage, though in 1993, we moved from relatively humid New York, to very, very dry Denver, Colorado. But they didn't rot until 26 years after I purchased them, so I'd say the 10 year period you're talking about should be pretty safe.
  • 01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I'll bet you had lots of fun replacing those parts. Did you replace the caps with identicals or use higher quality?:)

Its still at the master technician. Over 2500$ repair bill so far :-( Next are the computer displays. They didnt cheap out on the parts of the Grand, all is absolutly top grade so they are all identical....even down to the 4 intel processors :-) I even cloned the binary code.
  • 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
    audio_dude
    your speakers have computer displays and 4 procsessors??

what the hell year am I living in??

Flo, going to the future is one thing, but bringing something back? I WANT IN!!!

or...maybe its just the insane price you paid...
  • 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_dude
    your speakers have computer displays and 4 procsessors??

what the hell year am I living in??

Flo, going to the future is one thing, but bringing something back? I WANT IN!!!

or...maybe its just the insane price you paid...

You didnt know? They use several computers inside my speaker. Its fully active, 8 amps. the amps are connected directly to the drivers. No parts in between, you can adjust each drivers pahse, rake, volume and decent per the remote controll in the displays. :-)
  • 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
    spasticteapot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian
    You didnt know? They use several computers inside my speaker. Its fully active, 8 amps. the amps are connected directly to the drivers. No parts in between, you can adjust each drivers pahse, rake, volume and decent per the remote controll in the displays. :-)

How much did you pay for these monsters?
  • 01-25-2007, 11:40 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spasticteapot
    How much did you pay for these monsters?

Trading secret ;-) Altough i think i wrote it somewhere. The retail price in 93 was 85K and only 20 pair where ever built. Todays resell value is upwards of 80K used. :) But i paid considerbly less then that.