Speakers Range

Printable View

  • 12-25-2007, 06:54 PM
    SAPSEC
    Speakers Range
    I am about to purchase a pair of speakers having the range from 40Hz to 43KHz. Is this a good range to consider since I want to look for a clean, detail, and crisp sound ? The speakers I am considering are Monitor Audio GS-10 (gold series). Thanks for your advise.
  • 12-25-2007, 07:10 PM
    markw
    Personally, I think anything above 20 khz is moot since, no matter they spin it. it's inaudiable. except to man's best friends and perhaps bats and digital sources don't go above that.

    Crisp sound is generally in the below 6-12 khz range and that might even be pushing it.
  • 12-25-2007, 08:08 PM
    blackraven
    Really anything above 16k is close to being inaudible and it gets worse as you get older.
  • 12-26-2007, 02:07 AM
    Florian
    The human ear cannot interpret it, but like very low bass waves you do recognize them. Bones in your body also pick up the waves and use them for listening. Many people have written about this and even tough you dont hear it, youll miss it once its gone. Try using an EQ and going to a ribbon, electrostatic etc.. speaker and cut everything above 16KHz. Youll notice it immediatly.

    The punch is between 70Hz and 250Hz, thats your midrange slam. Most speakers cannot produce actual fullrange low bass sound anyways so i would focus on a speaker that can produce down to 30Hz with no drop off cleanly. And THAT, despite what all the tech sites tell ya, is very hard. A speaker which can do 45KHz with no stress or signal dergration will do 20 or 16KHz without breaking a sweat or sounding harsh. * But please measure this stuff, what most claim they do is not necesarily what you actually get.

    A good test is Pink Floyds - Dark Side of the Moon Album, Track 1. (forgot the name). On true fullrange system this should be a massive bass force, very low and move your stomach and floorboards.

    Good luck

    Flo
  • 12-26-2007, 02:29 AM
    basite
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    A good test is Pink Floyds - Dark Side of the Moon Album, Track 1. (forgot the name). On true fullrange system this should be a massive bass force, very low and move your stomach and floorboards.

    Good luck

    Flo


    ah, you mean 'Speak to me' on DSOTM, the heartbeat rising at the beginning? track 1 is divided in 2 'tracks', a) speak to me b)breath. B) has plenty of low in it too :p

    It does kinda 'hit me' and I definately feel it, and there is alot of energy, I don't have 'floorboards' (hard, stone floor here, with earth below it :))...
    although your 2 12" woofers will cause more energy :cornut:

    it's a great album though, there is plenty of low in there, just get speakers that'll reach low enough :)

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 12-26-2007, 02:39 AM
    Florian
    Hi Bastie,

    i am glad you like your new speakers, Thiel, when i heard them last, was one of my favorites. I meant the Heartbeat. If you wanna feel what its like on my system you can do that actually. Look for a dealer who has 2 Krell Master Reference Subwoofers in store and ask him to hook both of them up. * But go to the bathroom before, so you dont make a mess :)

    PS: Its 4x12's in two sealed acoustic suspension boxes (i have no clue what this means) surrounded by aluminium ;-)
  • 12-26-2007, 02:57 AM
    basite
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Hi Bastie,

    i am glad you like your new speakers, Thiel, when i heard them last, was one of my favorites. I meant the Heartbeat. If you wanna feel what its like on my system you can do that actually. Look for a dealer who has 2 Krell Master Reference Subwoofers in store and ask him to hook both of them up. * But go to the bathroom before, so you dont make a mess :)

    PS: Its 4x12's in two sealed acoustic suspension boxes (i have no clue what this means) surrounded by aluminium ;-)

    yeah, my dealer has a REL Studio III in the home cinema room, fantastic sub too :)


    btw,
    acoustic suspension = sealed cabinet, the air inside serves as a 'spring' to push the woofer back...

    more info here: http://www.humanspeakers.com/whatis/AS.htm

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 12-26-2007, 02:59 AM
    Florian
    Thanks for the info,

    you sure its a MRS? They cost aprox. 45000$ a piece and is only carried by the Elite dealers of Krell? Got a link to his Homepage?

    Cheers

    Flo
  • 12-26-2007, 03:05 AM
    basite
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Thanks for the info,

    you sure its a MRS? They cost aprox. 45000$ a piece and is only carried by the Elite dealers of Krell? Got a link to his Homepage?

    Cheers

    Flo


    sorry, misread
    it was a REL studio III

    anyway, here's a link to the dealer's site...

    www.alphahighend.be

    I don't know if he's an Elite dealer, he doesn't have much Krell gear I think, he does have quite alot of Mcintosh, Pass labs, Mark Levinson, accuphase, ... all the other big names...

    The bass that came out of the Wilson audio Maxx speakers (also at the dealer) was great too :p

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 12-26-2007, 03:11 AM
    Florian
    Hi Bert,

    yep, we are talking about different beasts here ;-)

    I have to make a correction, the price for one MRS is actually 28k acording to Sound by Singer in NY. Its made out of 1.5" solid Aluminium, contrains a 1200watt Krell Class A amplifier with digital crossover network and capable of 120db at 20Hz ;-) Check that one out, if you can find one in your area. Before that subwoofer was sold by Krell, they made a bigger brother which is the Apogee Grand subwoofer (was designed by Dan D'Agostino <- owner of Krell). He actually has a pair of Grand himself in piano black. Tasty!

    Cheers bud

    Flo
  • 12-26-2007, 03:14 AM
    basite
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Hi Bert,

    yep, we are talking about different beasts here ;-)

    I have to make a correction, the price for one MRS is actually 28k acording to Sound by Singer in NY. Its made out of 1.5" solid Aluminium, contrains a 1200watt Krell Class A amplifier with digital crossover network and capable of 120db at 20Hz ;-) Check that one out, if you can find one in your area. Before that subwoofer was sold by Krell, they made a bigger brother which is the Apogee Grand subwoofer (was designed by Dan D'Agostino <- owner of Krell). He actually has a pair of Grand himself in piano black. Tasty!

    Cheers bud

    Flo

    that sub would probably tear my house apart :p

    btw, the pictures on the dealer's site are a little outdated, the small picture you see at the bottom right with the thiels in them: that system is now replaced by a pair of Wilson audio Maxx speakers, driven by Mcintosh gear...

    Great dealer :)
  • 12-26-2007, 03:17 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by basite
    that sub would probably tear my house apart :p

    Hehe, only on the right material. :-) What did ya get for Christmas?
  • 12-26-2007, 03:22 AM
    basite
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Hehe, only on the right material. :-) What did ya get for Christmas?

    money :p

    probably gonna get a new interconnect...
  • 12-26-2007, 03:28 AM
    Florian
    I hope you got it in euros and not canadian dollars ;-)

    What interconnects are you looking at? I can recommend you look at the ones from Vacumstate Electronics, the owner is a Apogee friend of mine. Let me know, and maybe i can help.

    Cheers

    Flo
  • 12-26-2007, 03:39 AM
    basite
    I'm looking at lots of brands:

    crystal cable (picollo), Nordost (blue heaven), Siltech (New york), Kimber (silver streak), Audioquest (king cobra or columbia) (although I don't know about AQ), ...

    I'll try them out first though...

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 12-26-2007, 06:31 AM
    sgt bass08
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    I am about to purchase a pair of speakers having the range from 40Hz to 43KHz. Is this a good range to consider since I want to look for a clean, detail, and crisp sound ? The speakers I am considering are Monitor Audio GS-10 (gold series). Thanks for your advise.

    hi that range is alright nothing speacial if you are talking about the woofer are midrange are you going to use subs?? i would use 40 Hz-25 kHz you cant really go wrong with them ranges but if you got a subwoofer i would try to look at your tweeter range and go for something like 10 kHz to 40 kHz for incredible detail
  • 12-26-2007, 07:20 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    I am about to purchase a pair of speakers having the range from 40Hz to 43KHz. Is this a good range to consider since I want to look for a clean, detail, and crisp sound ? The speakers I am considering are Monitor Audio GS-10 (gold series). Thanks for your advise.

    First of all, frequency response claims are meaningless without a tolerance. What is the average variation to achieve that range? While those speakers can reproduce ultrasonics, their response is anything but linear. Look at the Stereophile test. This speaker is gonna sound bright if that's what you like. If you listen to CDs at all, remember that the redbook sampling rate has an absolute brick wall filter at 22 khz. Anything above that would be pure noise. Having said that, most recordings have little, if anything above 14 khz.

    Response at 40 hz is down about 4 db even with the room response which picks up some gain. This reminds me of the Polks I use in the HT. You'll need subs to get anything close to neutral response in that region. A 6.5" driver cannot do real bass.

    You can likely find a more neutral sounding speaker.

    rw