AR Newbie Registered Member

Speakers choice - help me please!

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a pair of speakers for my PC. I don't really consider myself an audiophile mainly because I do not have the budget to become one. So what I am really looking for is a good value. Can anyone help me chose good monitor for a 400$ (max) budget? Here is a small description of my system :

Sound card : M-audio Audiophile 2496
    Amplifier : Samson Servo 300 (100W/channel @ 4 Ohms, 150W/channel @ 8 Ohms)
    Applications : Stereo, without a subwoofer (I don't like to mix with a sub). Mainly for composing/recording music (as a hobby of course). I am not a loud listener.

I had two specific models in mind : the polk audio TSi 200 and the Axiom M2 V2. However, I read that the M2 V2 don't reproduce low end frequencies so well and the TSi 200 well... There's not a single review available anywhere (as pointed out in another thread in this forum). I agree that the best way to choose would be to review them myself but unfortunately in the (stupid) country where I live, choice is scarce and customers aren't expected to be difficult/critical/technical. Actually in 90% of the cases I know better than the shop assistant (and I'm no expert!).

So if anyone wants to help, I would be very grateful!

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.2's are a nice speaker.

Monitor Audio S1's, PSB Image B25's, Monitor Audio B2's at www.saturdayaudio.com

I have a pair of Monitor Audio S1's and they have very good bass for a bookshelf. The Wharfedales also are very good.

Also consider the NHT Classic 2's which would be my favorite. They may run about $450pr. They have a warmer sound and good bass for a small speaker.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks a ot for the answer! I am looking it up right now. Sorry for the late reply, I was away without internet access.

Thread Information