AR Newbie Registered Member

the best 500$ speakers

Im in the search for a good pair of 500$ speakers.I know thats not a lot money but thats a good starting point.I will be using them for two channel music like R&B,jazz.Thanks for any help.

Forum Regular
    polk tsi 500 get them from polk direct referbs with 2 year warranty.very large tower.

Try to audition some speakers at your local hi-fi shop.
    Some brands you should consider are Bowers & Wilkins, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio & PSB. This is not an exhaustive list as there are many other brands you could look at but these are the popular ones that offer speakers in that price territory. Tell us what you come up with and ask more questions if you have any.

Do you want Bookshelfs or floor standers? What amp and Cd player do you have and what is your room size?
    I would consider some of these PSB's- http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...07-29-2009.htm

Possibly the Magnepan MMG's depending upon your equipment and room size. You would need a decent sub with these but for the price the sound would be unmatched. These are excellent for Jazz.

http://magnepan.com/model_MMG
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    You can find Era Design D4's used on audiogon for $400 - $500.. they are a great value and would sound excellent with jazz/r&b.

Here's an example.. i'm sure this will be sold within 24 hours

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....30&/ERA-D4%27s

nightflier
    If you don't want floor-standers, also consider the MMG-Ws. You could also find used MC1s for under $500, I think.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    For great detail ie. jazz, look at Tekton. They are priced nicely and styled the same. With your budget, you could afford the Model 8.1, very revealing speaker.

http://www.tektondesign.com/model81.htm

Forum Regular
    Yes, the Tekton is a excellent choice for the music you like. Sounds great with a T amp, small tube amp or even a powerful solid state. One can listen to that Fostex driver all day without the slightest bit of listener fatigue and it goes low enough that a sub is not missed. Eric Alexander is a true craftsman, very personable and you can call him directly and ask questions. His cabinet work is just gorgeous. The basic black in the picture is even nicer in person. This Tektons will shame speakers at double their price.

Those Tektons sure are tempting. I do wonder though if there's anything in the way of the Fostex, i.e any filtering etc.. If not they would be super easy to make...

nightflier
    If you're looking for speakers that sound good and look good, here's an off-the-beaten-track suggestion: the nOrh 5.1 wood:

which I think are still around your price range, although shipping will push that a tad higher. But that's one unique speaker, sounds very good, is well reviewed, and will certainly be a point of conversation in your living room.

Here's a few other speakers I've heard that sounded pretty good. They don't look as exotic as the nOhrs, but they certainly don't look like your typical box speaker either.

Focal Chorus 705V, $450 (for the high-tech look...)

Vincent Audio - LS208, $750 (I know, a bit over your budget, but...)

Quad 11L, $550 (boxy, but look at that hi-gloss finish...)

There's others, I'm sure, but these were the first I could think of. Anyhow, it beats the generic Athena looking speakers at Best Buy (which are, ironically, still a good value at their price point).

Thanks guy those focal look quite nice I will reserch them and let you guys know what i picked. again thanks

I had a pair of the Paradigm Mini Monitors and loved them. If I hadn't came across the deal I got for my Sonus Faber's ($875), I would have kept the Paradigms and been very happy. Although they are a bookshelf, they aren't as small as the name implies. Would still benefit from a nice sub though.

Forum Regular

One more to consider

Silverline Minuet. Bought a pair a few months ago. I listen to alot of Jazz, Fusion and classic rock. They sound much bigger than their diminutive size. Right around your pricepoint.

Man, all those speakers suggestions are fantastic, especially the Tektons and Quads. I just picked up some Paradigm Mini Monitors V.6's for $450. They are great for jazz (especially 70's soul stuff that has more bass and electric) and new R&B. I heard that B&W 650's are a little better for classic jazz and vocals, they are $650. I auditioned both and found the Mini Monitors more versatile, especially for electronic and rock. The B&W does vocals and classical better, but only slightly. I thought the Mini's did better with jazz brass instruments and acoustic guitars.

Also, consider Axiom, PSB or Epo's (which sellers are giving great deals on).

Sorry for the long reply and good hunting, your speakers are the most important choice.

Oh yeah, also all those speakers are very efficient and do not take a lot to drive them, so low wattage receivers and amps (vintage in particular) are not a problem. New speaker design is really amazing, one of the few component's that are improving rather than degrading quality for modern bells and whistle compatibility.

Thread Information