Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6

    Speaker Recommendations for Bryston 2B-LP with Bryston 0.4 preamp

    Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!

  2. #2
    Tyler Acoustics Fan drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by brystonboy
    Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!
    Your budget, room size, music preferences and speaker characteristic preferences would be helpful in getting you the best (and meaningful) answers... Also, do you want to stick to audio retail store brands, or are Internet only brands OK?

    Once we have all of these parameters, I am sure someone here can help.

    Thanks,

    ---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

    Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Your budget, room size, music preferences and speaker characteristic preferences would be helpful in getting you the best (and meaningful) answers... Also, do you want to stick to audio retail store brands, or are Internet only brands OK?

    Once we have all of these parameters, I am sure someone here can help.

    Thanks,

    ---Dave
    For now lets say budget is not really a consideration. I want value for my money, and don't necessarily want to buy the best thing out there, but I am not really concerned about money. I also don't want to "out-class" my amp. Room size is also not really a consideration because I am not planning around my existing room. Music preference is mostly rock, but I have a variety of tastes from country to classical. As far as the characteristics of the speakers, I would like them to be relatively flat and revealing. I do some home recording and I'd like to use these as another reference source for my mixes. Also, being a bit of a studio guy I like to hear recordings the way the producer meant it to sound, so I would like as little "colouring" of the sound as possible.

    Thanks!!

  4. #4
    Tyler Acoustics Fan drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by brystonboy
    For now lets say budget is not really a consideration. I want value for my money, and don't necessarily want to buy the best thing out there, but I am not really concerned about money. I also don't want to "out-class" my amp. Room size is also not really a consideration because I am not planning around my existing room. Music preference is mostly rock, but I have a variety of tastes from country to classical. As far as the characteristics of the speakers, I would like them to be relatively flat and revealing. I do some home recording and I'd like to use these as another reference source for my mixes. Also, being a bit of a studio guy I like to hear recordings the way the producer meant it to sound, so I would like as little "colouring" of the sound as possible.

    Thanks!!
    OK, Well then the Merlin VSM MXs should fit those requirements nicely... They go new for about 10K a pair, and are very neutral. Nice overall sound down to about 30hz. They are extremely revealing as well, and can be tweaked by Bobby to match solid state electronics when they are built (no charge for this, BTW).

    ---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

    Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

  5. #5
    Forum Regular psonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by brystonboy
    Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!

    Sure, Sonus Faber Grand Piano ($3000) - sounds breathtaking on solid state electronics. Highly recommed a listen to these (or Concertos for around $1900)



    Hand made in Italy, phenomenal quality of build, like going from a Honda to a Ferrari. I have not seen many speakers match them in sound or build in the price range...
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

    "hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

  6. #6
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,813
    Hi,
    Over here PMC Speakers are often recommended for Bryston amps.As for Italien Speakers, now you're talking. But then I am biased, ever since I got mine.
    Good luck and have fun.

    Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by brystonboy
    Anyone have any recommendation for speakers that match nicely with this amp and preamp? I have just picked these up and now begins the speaker shopping!!
    Since your amp is not too large, you should probably look for medium or high sensitivity speakers. The most neutral speakers I have heard lately are the Paradigm Signature S2 and the Thiel PCS. The Thiel is reasonably sensitive but is a bit low in impedance, though that should not bother a Bryston. These speakers are rather differently balanced but both have a lot going for them.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook