Speaker Question.......

Printable View

• 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM
    Mark111867
    Speaker Question.......
    Recently, I brought my "living room" speakers in from my living room to my den to use as main speakers. One speaker is about 3 feet to the right of the TV. The other speaker is about 8 feet to the right of the TV. Here is my problem: Recently, I am getting some orange tint in the upper LEFT hand corner of the tv screen. The orange is much more noticeable when the tv has a blue background. The tint does not appear to be on the screen all of the time. My question is, if I am getting this type of "interference" on the upper left hand side of my tv and the closest speaker is 3 feet to the right of the tv, can the interference possibly be coming from the speakers? I would think that if it were the speakers, the interference would be on the right side of the tv, not the left. Let me know what you think. Thanks. By the way, the speakers are magnetically shielded.
  • 03-01-2005, 09:10 AM
    markw
    All theoretical questions aside for now.
    While I agree that it makes no sense, sometimes we gotta start eliminating possibilities.

Was that orange tint there before you moved the speakers near the TV?

Does that orange tint go away when that speaker is moved away from the TV and the TV is turned off and on?

Could there be anything else magnetic in nature recently placed near the TV itself?
  • 03-01-2005, 09:39 AM
    Mark111867
    Thanks for your reply Mark. I don't recall noticing the tint before I moved the new set of speakers in the den, although I suppose this could be coincidental. I moved the speakers to another part of the house, and the tint is still there. Also tried turning on and off without speakers in the room. Still, the tint is there. As far as anything else magnetic around the tv, my first thought was a small camcorder that was left on the same shelf as the tv, but when I moved it, no dice.
  • 03-01-2005, 09:55 AM
    markw
    Well, the good news is that that narrows it down quite a bit.
    But, the bad news is that it points to a problem with the TV itself. Generally, the effects of stray magnetic fields on picture tubes are corrected on power up by automatic degaussing circuits built in virtually any modern set. The fact that your set refuses to clear up makes me think it might be time for a service call or, if it's old enough to warrant it, replacemen.
  • 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
    Mark111867
    Thanks Mark. I appreciate your help.
  • 03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
    RGA
    if your tv is newer it may have a self degausing switch or feature you can access. A magnetic shield should shield the speaker from affecting the tv and even non shielded speakers three feet away is plenty far enough NOT to affect a tv. My wharfedales use massive 20plus ound woofer magnets and are not shielded and can be put about a foot from the tv.
  • 03-02-2005, 05:36 AM
    Mark111867
    Thanks RGA.