Thread: Speaker kits

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Speaker kits

I have been thinking about building a pair of speakers for a few months now. I have not built speakers since Speakerlab in Washington used to sell kits. I do want a predesigned kit with everything I will need. Here are the kits under consideration.

Dayton Audio UA701BK Usher Speaker Kit Gloss Black 302-950

Madisound Speaker Store

Idunn

Madisound Speaker Store

Hey what is another pair of speakers in the walk-in closet. I thought it might be fun and if I do not like them I have nephews to pass them on along with a pair of Ascends. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 08-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I have been thinking about building a pair of speakers for a few months now. I have not built speakers since Speakerlab in Washington used to sell kits. I do want a predesigned kit with everything I will need. Here are the kits under consideration.

Dayton Audio UA701BK Usher Speaker Kit Gloss Black 302-950

Madisound Speaker Store

Idunn

Madisound Speaker Store
    I have no experience with any of them, but I'll comment that the Idunn's DTX tweeter concept seems very sound. Controlled dispersion isn't a new concept but tends to be seen in professional monitors more than consumer speakers. 3-way speakers's drivers can be selected to have similar dispersion over full range, but it can be difficult in 2-way speakers.

The coaxial Seas will provide somewhat controlled dispersion too, and also eliminate "lobing", i.e. interference between drivers at certain angles in the crossover region.

Speakers with 8" mid/bass and 2.5 kHz crossovers to wide dispersion tweeters, (such as Audio Note), will have very uneven dispersion with a lot of beaming between 800 Hz or so, and the crossover point. I think the same would very much apply to Fostex and other full-range drivers; (prove me wrong if you can).

Bill, I was thinking controlled directivity might be a good thing in my room which is on the small side. I think this will be a good thing in the crossover range with the closeness to the side walls.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    With the Fostex it's called point source imaging.

Charm Thai™
    Ooooo I like that Dayton kit.

Bill, I was thinking controlled directivity might be a good thing in my room which is on the small side. I think this will be a good thing in the crossover range with the closeness to the side walls.
    I think so too. I'm not sure how a person could argue that wide dispersion is better while they are, at the same time, using extensive sound absorption on the walls, and maybe floor and ceiling.

My guess is that for HT and multi-channel it is even more important to limit dispersion, i.e. reflections, in order to achieve the effect that the producer/sound engineer envisioned.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    SEAS makes a great product, I've never heard those kits but I have heard other designs with those drivers. The Ushers are an ok kit, they sound very nice and will surprise you for what you spend. But if you're buying from Parts Express their Dayton Reference kits are a much better buy IMO. I believe Usher makes them, but they're more affordable and there's more than a few tested and proven designs.

I recently built a co-worker a pair of these:
    Madisound Speaker Store

Scary good sound for the money. I'm thinking of redoing my home theater with 7 of them.

Let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
    SEAS makes a great product, I've never heard those kits but I have heard other designs with those drivers. The Ushers are an ok kit, they sound very nice and will surprise you for what you spend. But if you're buying from Parts Express their Dayton Reference kits are a much better buy IMO. I believe Usher makes them, but they're more affordable and there's more than a few tested and proven designs.

Madisound Speaker Store

Scary good sound for the money. I'm thinking of redoing my home theater with 7 of them.

Let us know how you make out.

That kit looks good Kex, thanks. Oh and I will keep you posted if I build them. Nothing new until my Krell S-300i is back.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks, Kex. It was kind of my thought that the Dayton Reference kits would be better value; I suspect you're paying something for the 'Usher' brand.

Madisound Speaker Store

Scary good sound for the money. I'm thinking of redoing my home theater with 7 of them. ...
    Wow, that's good info. I was looking at the Zaph designs a few months ago. Particularly appealing was THIS 2.5 way. This might seem a little pricey but bear in mind that the drivers are ScanSpeak -- I suspect that made, brand name speakers with these drivers would be 2-4x the price. IMO, 2.5 way designs are a better concept than 2 way, dual woofer designs.

Zaph Audio website is very interesting too: www.zaphaudio.com/

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post

Nice looking kits, thanks for the link. I am waiting until the Krell is returned so I have time yet to decide. I am leaning toward the Idunn and the controlled dispersion of the tweeter at the crossover.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Idunn does not come with everything you need. It states that you need to build your own cabinet or have your dealer find one for you.

I'm actually planning on buying a kit myself this fall/winter. Either the SEAS coaxial speaker offered by Madisound, or the Usher kit from Parts Express. I am leaning towards the latter. I like the curved cabinet. My Wharfedales have a curved cabinet and I believe it's effective at reducing boxiness.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Quote Originally Posted by YBArcam View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Idunn does not come with everything you need. It states that you need to build your own cabinet or have your dealer find one for you.

I'm actually planning on buying a kit myself this fall/winter. Either the SEAS coaxial speaker offered by Madisound, or the Usher kit from Parts Express. I am leaning towards the latter. I like the curved cabinet. My Wharfedales have a curved cabinet and I believe it's effective at reducing boxiness.

The Madisound kit comes with a cabinet but it suggests you build your own brace to reduce cabinet vibrations.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Madisound kit comes with a cabinet but it suggests you build your own brace to reduce cabinet vibrations.
    It's easy to add some bracing.

Usually a couple of struts between the widest panels, say the sides, will work very well. Place these struts irregularly, i.e. not exactly half way front to back and not exactly 1/3 top to bottom. Use 1x2" or 2x2" lumber. Cut each piece just a little too long, say 1/16", then fit them very snugly by filing or sanding but keeping the ends square. Put some white glue on the ends; use a mallet (or whatever) to drive them into position, ensuring they are square side to side and and front to back

Forum Regular
    Several of these kits come with pre-assembled crossovers and cabs. This means you can complete the entire build in a couple of hours without even breaking out a soldering iron. I always look at the educational value of kits and unfortunately there's not much to learn with such complete kits. The kit below gives an opportunity to develop one's soldering skills in the crossover assembly and has easy to follow written and video instructions.

Dayton BR-1 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Monitor Speaker Kit Pair 300-640

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    It's easy to add some bracing.

Usually a couple of struts between the widest panels, say the sides, will work very well. Place these struts irregularly, i.e. not exactly half way front to back and not exactly 1/3 top to bottom. Use 1x2" or 2x2" lumber. Cut each piece just a little too long, say 1/16", then fit them very snugly by filing or sanding but keeping the ends square. Put some white glue on the ends; use a mallet (or whatever) to drive them into position, ensuring they are square side to side and and front to back

I would make a figure 8 brace for the cabinet. I then might do a simpler brace for another area.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Madisound 2.5 way kit with the Scan Speak drivers was one of the kits I looked at real hard before finding my Dyns at a good price but I do like the looks of the usher kit from parts express as well but I think it would be cool to build one of the scan speak madisound kits since they seem to get a real good rating from the DIY crowd or at least the ones I have read but the kit is also one of the most expensive of the bunch and it would be hard to put that kind of money into a first kit but I have experience in wood working and speaker building and crossover design so I think that would be the one for me.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information