AR Newbie Registered Member

Best Speakers for Vinyl with a Budget

Hello, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. I recently purchased an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 and need some good speakers in order to make this purchase worth while. I am looking to get the best speakers while still staying at around or blow $100. I will be living in the dorms next year so I need speakers that are semi-compact but still produce awesome sound. Any direction or help is appreciated!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You will need a pair of powered speakers if you have no amp or receiver. I doubt if you find the sound quality you are hoping to find. I would go to electronic or computer stores and listen to powered speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

"Best","Awesone", and "below $100" is a pretty stiff order

Quote Originally Posted by mphillips5 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. I recently purchased an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 and need some good speakers in order to make this purchase worth while. I am looking to get the best speakers while still staying at around or blow $100. I will be living in the dorms next year so I need speakers that are semi-compact but still produce awesome sound. Any direction or help is appreciated!
    I'll assume you already have a receiver/amp because without that, speakers won't work. You need a receiver/amp.

Now, there is no absolute "best" and "awesome". Both are very relative terms, but you also gotta keep in mind that $100 only buys so much "awesome".

That being said, you say dorm. That usuallty means abuse. These Cerwin Vega or JBL speakers would be a typical candidate for that usage.

If you want more refinement, these Pioneer Andrew Jones designed speakers are getting great reviews. I heard their predecesor and they were great. I expect nothing less from these. FWIW, these would be my choice.

As for a dark horse, I'd consider these BIC bookshelves. This company offers a lot of bang for the buck.

All of these use fairly small drivers. Don't expect deep, extended bass but for a small room, they should do the trick.

The unit has a built in pre-amp so do I still need powered speakers? Also, I'm not necessarily looking for brand new speakers. Used and/or vintage also work.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The unit has a built in pre-amp so do I still need powered speakers? Also, I'm not necessarily looking for brand new speakers. Used and/or vintage also work.
    I looked up your table and if you do not want to buy a receiver you will need powered speakers. The preamp in your table will raise the voltage to work with the amps in the speakers. The preamp does not create enough voltage to drive speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

The unit has a built in pre-amp so do I still need powered speakers?
    Yes, you can use powered speakers. Your preamp won;t drive "regular" speakers. Go onto Amazon and so a search on "powered speakers" to get an idea of what's out there, and their prices.

It's either that or an receiver/amp. Your est bet would be to check gaarage sales for a used receiver.

Also, I'm not necessarily looking for brand new speakers. Used and/or vintage also work.
    with all the speakers that have been maufacturered since the beginning of this hobby, you can't serously expect us to list all that'a available, much less what's available in your area, do you?

Search Ebay or Craigslist and post your findings. We'll advise from that,

Good luck finding used powered speakers.

[QUOTE=markw;395050]Yes, you can use powered speakers. Your preamp won;t drive "regular" speakers.

Good to know! I just found a powered amp in my basement not being used. Im assuming that broadens my options a bit, from powered to regular.

In terms of sound quality, is it better to go with active or passive speakers?

Sound quality must be taken on a case by case basis but your choices are much wider with passive speakers, and you get more bang for the buck with passives.

Did you search for powered speakers like I suggested?

I did search for the powered. I didn't find anything on craigslist and its hard to know what to look for on ebay due to the wide selections. I think I'm going to try going with passive speakers because it seems like I will be able to get much better speakers for less money.

Thread Information