Will my receiver handle two Polk Audio Monitor 70's?

I have this receiver:VSX-821-K - NEW 5.1-Channel 3D Ready AV Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

I'm referring to these speakers: Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry) Each

Will this receiver power the speakers effectively, or will they not sound too good due to lack of power?

I assume bi-wiring would have no effect(benefit)?

Thanks,

Connor

PS- This community has been invaluable to me over the past week or so. I've got the audio bug!!!
    Last edited by shermanator; 12-28-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Neither link appears to work.

Fixed links.

I'm "assuming" you mean as A and B speakers.

Click here for a copy of your owner's manual.

See on page 11, "Connect the Speakers". Since these speakers are 8 ohms, the manual recommends against running them both simultaneously. Plus, I think you would be somewhat underpowered to do two pair justice.

Of course, if you're looking to run the second pair as your surrounds, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Click here for a copy of your owner's manual.

See on page 11, "Connect the Speakers". Since these speakers are 8 ohms, the manual recommends against running them both simultaneously. Plus, I think you would be somewhat underpowered to do two pair justice.

Of course, if you're looking to run the second pair as your surrounds, you'll be fine.
    Maybe I am misreading your post, but it seems like you're referring to two pairs(4 speakers total).

I am only looking for one pair.

Does your statement still stand?

Quote Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
    I have this receiver:VSX-821-K - NEW 5.1-Channel 3D Ready AV Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

I'm referring to these speakers: Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry) Each

Will this receiver power the speakers effectively, or will they not sound too good due to lack of power?

I assume bi-wiring would have no effect(benefit)?

Thanks,

Connor

PS- This community has been invaluable to me over the past week or so. I've got the audio bug!!!
    The speakers are 8 ohm, 90db sensitivity, can handle anything from 20 - 275 watts. The Pioneer indicates 80 watts per channel (hereafter, abbreviated "wpc") and should power them just fine, given the dimensions of your room.

That said, my experience is that human nature plays a much larger role than any metrics. This hobby gets very subjective, very quickly! So the real answer here is "Know thyself."

Audibly, there isn't much difference between an 80 wpc receiver and a 125 wpc receiver based on those stats alone. (I won't bore/trouble/confuse you with the constant refrain that most receivers overstate their true wpc output anyway.) In fact, you'd have to go up to 160 wpc before you noticed a significantly noticeable difference in sound output.

As such, if you're of a mind to shoot for the stars based on a spec sheet, my telling you that the Pio is "good enough" won't do you any good. You'll go looking for a receiver with a higher power rating (at which point, I'd advise that you check to make sure that it has the features that you want) or you'll look to add a separate amplifier (at which point I'd advise that you make sure that your receiver has pre-amp out connections...some do, some don't).

Either way, good luck and welcome to the madly satisfying quest of home theater.

PS: Bi-wiring...some say that they can hear a significant difference, others say that they can't. Again, it all goes back to subjectivity.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

One pair is fine.

From your subject line ("Will my receiver handle two Polk Audio Monitor 70's?
    ") I got the impression that you were referring to two pair.

Rarely has anyone asked about a single speaker. Generally they refer to them in pairs.

After talking to some well informed people, I have decided to go another route with my A/V setup.

It looks like i'm going to be keeping the Polk RTi4's (I may pick up the RTi6's), but replace the Pioneer receiver.

I think I need at least a 7.1 receiver(as they typically allow bi-amping) to bi-amp my Polk RTi4's and future speaker upgrades. I also need to be able to plug my iPod right into the front.

The Yamaha RX-V571 and RX-V671 seem to fit the bill, but they are on the pricier side for my budget.

What other receivers would you suggest for me, keeping the receiver under $400?- I'm not afraid to go refurbished.

I guess the real question was missed in this thread. What is the main or most projected use of the system. What other inputs will be used and future plans/upgrades. from the brief info given this unit fits the bill:

iPhone/iPod front connector
    all the latest AV surround formats
    4 HDMI inputs/ 1 out
    Bluetooth ready (I have used it on my 520k and its a nice feature if your a non iPhone/iPod user)
    Bonus:
    Mic EQ setup system (not common in this price range)
    Last edited by recoveryone; 12-29-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    I guess the real question was missed in this thread. What is the main or most projected use of the system. What other inputs will be used and future plans/upgrades. from the brief info given this unit fits the bill:

iPhone/iPod front connector
    all the latest AV surround formats
    4 HDMI inputs/ 1 out
    Bluetooth ready (I have used it on my 520k and its a nice feature if your a non iPhone/iPod user)
    Bonus:
    Mic EQ setup system (not common in this price range)
    To start, it's just going to be a 2.1 system for music only.

Once I graduate from college, and move into my own place, it will be a 5.1 or 7.1 HT system.

I am looking for bi-ampable capability, as my current speakers allow it, and i'll look for the same thing for future speaker purchases.

What unit is that one above?

This unit may be the winner:Newegg.com - Recertified: YAMAHA RX-V667 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

It doesn't have a direct iPod connection, but from my own experiments, that does not aid in sound quality. It is nice for charging and controlling on the receiver though.

Thoughts?

To start, it's just going to be a 2.1 system for music only.

Once I graduate from college, and move into my own place, it will be a 5.1 or 7.1 HT system.

I am looking for bi-ampable capability, as my current speakers allow it, and i'll look for the same thing for future speaker purchases.

What unit is that one above?

This unit may be the winner:Newegg.com - Recertified: YAMAHA RX-V667 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

It doesn't have a direct iPod connection, but from my own experiments, that does not aid in sound quality. It is nice for charging and controlling on the receiver though.

Thoughts?
    the info above is from the Pioneer site on the 821K
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    the info above is from the Pioneer site on the 821K
    Ah, gotcha.

It doesn't allow bi-amping, and I keep hearing Yamaha is superior to Pioneer in terms of sound quality....

Whether that is true or not, I have no idea.

Care to chime in?
    Last edited by shermanator; 12-29-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Ah, gotcha.

It doesn't allow bi-amping, and I keep hearing Yamaha is superior to Pioneer in terms of sound quality....

Whether that is true or not, I have no idea.

Care to chime in?
    Now we are back to what Jazz said, there are several factors and personal taste that come in to what people would say sound better. The Yammie may sound better with one set of speakers or the Pioneer may. Your personal taste come into play also, some people like warm sound (smooth tones) and others like very clear detail sound and both can vary on the speakers or unit. That is why many will say do as much sound sampling as you can in store or home with a good return policy. but make sure you are listening to music that reflect your taste.

I only own one Polk speaker (RTM series CSR Center channel) and it has a very mellow tone, and that may be due to it being a center channel, but compare to my Jensen (main system) or the Optimus (bedroom setup) the dialog is dull sounding and not as spacious as the others. And again that could be the AVR it is connected to Pioneer VSX 510.
    Last edited by recoveryone; 12-29-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information