Big Fresh

Anybody know about the PSB Century 300i

Hey everybody,

I'm in the market for a 2 channel speaker system for my study office. I've been thinking about doing something nice and compact like the Athena LS-50 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS50). I could add a small sub like the $100 Energy sub being sold at Costco to round things off. However, as I was perusing my local Craigslist, I noticed someone was selling some PSB Century 300i speakers for $75. They seem to be in good shape, although I haven't gone to check them out yet. The PSBs would take up a lot more desk space, although I could still fit them in reasonably well, or just get some stands. I've always wanted to try some PSB speakers, and although the 300i is from the mid/late 90's, they might be worth a look.

Does anybody have any experience with the PSB Century 300i's? Or the little Athenas for that matter? I'm thinking about getting a nice compact T-amp to power whichever I choose, as they seem to be fairly well regarded, cost little, and won't take up much desk space. Anyway, just another project to waste time on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Receiver: H/K AVR 325
    Mains: Polk RTi-38
    Center: Polk CSi-30
    Surrounds: Polk FXi-30
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-isd
    TV: Panasonic TH-C46FD18

Chicago IL
    I have no experience with PSB speakers but I saw a picture of the 300i and they are nice bookshelf speakers! They look nice but I don't know how the sound!

Big Fresh
    So nobody's heard the PSB Century 300i's? Not too surprising, really. They are over 10 years old.
    Receiver: H/K AVR 325
    Mains: Polk RTi-38
    Center: Polk CSi-30
    Surrounds: Polk FXi-30
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-isd
    TV: Panasonic TH-C46FD18

Chicago IL
    I don't know many, doesn't matter if they are old or not! If they are good people will know them!

AR Newbie Registered Member

PSB Century 300i

Quote Originally Posted by natronforever
    So nobody's heard the PSB Century 300i's? Not too surprising, really. They are over 10 years old.
    I bought these speakers in the late 90's and they are still by far the best speakers I have ever owned. I think I paid around $300 for them and they sound as good today as the day I first hooked them up. If you ever can get your hands on a pair, I would strongly recommend them!!

Suspended
    I have a pair of Athena AS-06 indoor outdoor speakers that are very good sounding so I would venture to say that if driven with the right gear, their normal indoor speakers will sound just fine.

Thread Information