Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am biased, so what ??
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I think it would be cool for B&W to take some models out of their program since they are to similar. For Magnepan i wish that they would add a model between the 1.6 and 3.6 since the difference in sound is very large and also on the pocket book.

-Flo
    Which models should they take of the program?

Leisure Monitore --- pretty much the same as the Theater ones

CM-Serie ----600 and 700 series is a good enough gap

803 Series ---804 and 803 is pretty much the same thing...

-Flo

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Leisure Monitore --- pretty much the same as the Theater ones

CM-Serie ----600 and 700 series is a good enough gap

803 Series ---804 and 803 is pretty much the same thing...

-Flo
    Cannot comment on the CM Series because it is an old model series, but the 803 is there because of demand and it is closer to the 802 than the 804, but with a more conventional box, when you are large manufacturer you can cater for different market segments.

I think that they have too many models. there are tons of options, but they dont really differ to much.

-Flo

Forum Regular
    RGA,

Likely the best and most brutally correct review I've heard on the Maggies 1.6's.

While I'm not a die hard B&W fan, I would hazard a guess the 802's weren't quite broken in yet. Bass extension is the last thing I'll attribute to a B&W speaker, but every 802 I've heard that's broken in and running with properly matched equipment has 'open' and 'liquid' treble and is hardly bright at all. I give B&W credit for doing a good job getting away from the 'boxy' sound with their tweeter designs, and wish other speaker manufacturers would follow suit.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by abstracta
    RGA,

Likely the best and most brutally correct review I've heard on the Maggies 1.6's.
    Brutally correct, hmmm., you do not like Maggies..I presume.

RGA,

While I'm not a die hard B&W fan, I would hazard a guess the 802's weren't quite broken in yet....
    but the B&W oh no... ,

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Sound: 5/10
    Build: 10/10
    Value for Money: 0/10 edit(N/A as not enough time to fully determine sound as yet)
    So you rate sound 5/10 but then say "N/A as not enough time to fully determine sound as yet" under Value for money. Huh?

If you have not heard them long enough to make a judgment on sound why comment on sound and give it 5/10 at that? I guess your bias is more of a subconscious thing now. You don't even know when your slamming something. LOL! Here's what a valid truthfull review should have been from you.

"I just listened briefly to the B&W's that were not set up correctly yet so I will hold off on my review of their sound and value until further listening. However, they seem to be made very well."

Thanks for the latest of edition of A/N Shill Monthly.

One day you will realize that your bias (conscious or not) lends zero credibility to your reviews.

JSE

Lol, but then noone can say there is a perfect setup.

I am biased... !! thats why i dont write reviews. Exept when i say that ,VMPS and Apogee's are the best speakers in the world. Period.... muhahah ..

j/k

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    So you rate sound 5/10 but then say "N/A as not enough time to fully determine sound as yet" under Value for money. Huh?

If you have not heard them long enough to make a judgment on sound why comment on sound and give it 5/10 at that? I guess your bias is more of a subconscious thing now. You don't even know when your slamming something. LOL! Here's what a valid truthfull review should have been from you.

"I just listened briefly to the B&W's that were not set up correctly yet so I will hold off on my review of their sound and value until further listening. However, they seem to be made very well."

Thanks for the latest of edition of A/N Shill Monthly.

One day you will realize that your bias (conscious or not) lends zero credibility to your reviews.

JSE

Set-up was not having the best amp for the job -- which is part of the set-up...I stated at the outset that it was a very initial listen -- but I've heard other speakers that impressed me a lot in under 1/2 an hour and still impress.Not too many people here have heard production Audio Note J or E speakers -- so before I'm a shill wait and directly listen to them against comparably priced B&W's. Some people though have attacked their sound so much without hearing them first.

I never tell people to order a set -- I recommend they audition a system -- if that;s a shill well every company who sends anything to be shilled by Stereophile is no different.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Set-up was not having the best amp for the job -- which is part of the set-up...I stated at the outset that it was a very initial listen -- but I've heard other speakers that impressed me a lot in under 1/2 an hour and still impress.Not too many people here have heard production Audio Note J or E speakers -- so before I'm a shill wait and directly listen to them against comparably priced B&W's. Some people though have attacked their sound so much without hearing them first.

I never tell people to order a set -- I recommend they audition a system -- if that;s a shill well every company who sends anything to be shilled by Stereophile is no different.

I guess you are just to blinded by your obsession or love for Peter to realize why the rating you gave the B&W is based on your own faulty logic. You mentioned that Sound Dogs was looking for an amp to make them sound good and you only listened for a little while. Why then give them a low rating based on these less than adequate listening conditions? Is that what reviewers do? They get a small and limited amount of information based on limted experience with an amp that apparently does not make the B&W's sound good and then say what the hell, I'll rate them. Give me a freaking break.

And, the reason I called you a shill is because everytime you create or respond to a post you always fall into a testimonial about AN and your beloved Peter. Peter this, Peter that, Peter knows more than anyone and everyone else is clueless, blah, blah, blah. AN is the best, Give me a A, Give me a N, What does it spell?

Click on your name and read your post history, I'm guessing at least 80% of your post refer yo your Audio Notes. Maybe 90%.

JSE

Yes, an insightful review from RGA

RGA,

I say this as an MG 1.6 owner and enthusiast. RGA has done an exceptional amount of comparative listening so I always consider his opinions. However I take issue with some of his comments:
    1. "... I'd say at least 10 feet from any side wall." No: two - three feet is adequate, (unless toe-in is extreme in which case another foot or two more is better).
    2. "... Once you rule out using the desired SETs they carried then it all just becomes a tier down. ... This store told me bryston was a terrible match". A matter of taste. My Bel Canto too might seem a dry and "sterile" to a SET user but ... who cares: if it matters to you, use a Musical Fidelity, Plinius, tubes or whatever.
    3. "... it isn't particularly a relaxing speaker either ... ". No, it tells it like it is. That's a good thing, not a bad thing; (beauty? or truth?).
    4. "The other thing is the speaker is more about the pomps and pipes of hi-fi (show off select recordings to firends) than it is about the music it seems." Now this egregious; totally the opposite of the truth, IMO!
    5. "I felt the speakers ultimately present a 2d image with a forced sense of 3d. As if the surface of the music was presented without the depth or insight of the music that I've heard from these musicians." I can't say I agree, but there is some basis for this sort of remark due to the nature of dipole speakers. Basically there is a trade-off between the best possible imaging and spatial precision, on the one hand, and the "air" and "in the room with you" sense on the other hand. This trade-off can largely be controlled by the user, viz. more than 5 feet from the wall and/or a sound absorbing or defusing wall treatment will tend to the former effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information