snell type q

Printable View

• 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
    Enochrome
    snell type q
    does anyone have any info or opinions on these? they have the interesting concept of the rear tweeter. Also, if agreeable to my ear, is $140 a good price for mint condition?
  • 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    does anyone have any info or opinions on these? they have the interesting concept of the rear tweeter. Also, if agreeable to my ear, is $140 a good price for mint condition?

Dont know about that model, but Snell Acoustics in general area very good speakers company.
  • 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
    RGA
    The ones you want are the original models made by Peter Snell - not the ones made by Voecks or D'agostino

So the models made in the late 70s to about 1983. Type EII, J, JII and K.

These speakers can all be had for under $300 and at worst may need a cap replacement or refoaming - which you can buy kits and do yourself for dirt cheap.

Here is a pair of J's selling now http://cgi.ebay.com/Snell-Type-J-II-...-/200619156299

They note the grill on one is broken but that's good since they sound better without the grill cloths. You're getting in the ballpark of the Audio Note J which sells for $5000. Art Dudley of Stereophile owned the original J speakers and regrets having sold them - he now owns Audio Note E speakers which are based off of the original Snell models.

So try for original K, J and E models or EII I believe. Avoid the rest of them. Double check which were designed by Snell and which were not.
  • 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
    Enochrome
    Thanks for the info!!!!

I picked them up last night and they are in absolute mint condition.
    The guy I bought them from was an absolute gentleman and all around awesome audiophile. He let me have them for $140, which I thought was an absolute steal considering they sold for $999 in 1987.

I am still listening to them for deep impressions, but for an initial impression they absolutely blow my Paradigm Mini Monitors out of the water!!!!!!!!! The high frequency extension is incredible and the sense of depth is haunting.

I'll post pics and more soon.

Thanks again for the info!!!!!
  • 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
    frenchmon
    Yeah we got see some pics
  • 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    Thanks for the info!!!!

I picked them up last night and they are in absolute mint condition.
    The guy I bought them from was an absolute gentleman and all around awesome audiophile. He let me have them for $140, which I thought was an absolute steal considering they sold for $999 in 1987.

I am still listening to them for deep impressions, but for an initial impression they absolutely blow my Paradigm Mini Monitors out of the water!!!!!!!!! The high frequency extension is incredible and the sense of depth is haunting.

I'll post pics and more soon.

Thanks again for the info!!!!!

Sounds like a great buy. I enjoyed many of the Snell models. My neighbor had the Snell A's. Great speakers and great design.