Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smaller budget

Official User
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    In response to your original inquiry -- I would also give bookshelf speakers a shot. Most of the sub-$1,000 floorstanders I've heard have issues with cabinet resonance and muddy imaging compared to similarly priced bookshelf speakers. The primary drawback with bookshelf speakers is the bass extension. At this price point though, bookshelf speakers will generally offer superior performance in most other facets, and since bass is not a primary consideration for you, I would expand the choices.

Another consideration on the speakers you should go with would be with the amplification. If you use a multichannel HT receiver, you should probably stick with 8 ohm speakers. If you choose to go with a low impedance (6 ohms or below) and/or a relatively inefficient speaker (~86 db/watt or below), you'll need to assess whether your amplifier/receiver can handle it, especially if you plan to eventually expand your system into a 5.1 configuration.

You won't know if Klipsch is for you until you listen to them. Their Synergy series is sold at Best Buy, so it won't be too hard to find (keep in mind that if the Synergy series is too harsh for your ears, the Reference series that's sold through specialty audio dealers sounds a lot more refined while retaining the high efficiency of the horn design).
    The Kyocera I am using with this set up is only 50 watts per channel and is a two channel amp. I seems to have a decent amount of power/current though. It drove my old 4 ohm Phase Tech towers fine. They were 93 dB speakers though.

I listened to the Klipsch reference series 52's. At first I liked them but after about 20 minutes of listening I started to experience the famous Klipsch fatigue people talk about in the high end. The Polk RTi's seemed a lot more tolerable after twenty minutes.

I haven't heard a lot of cabinet resonance, but I don't listen to loud music or my ears are not that good. The Paradigm Studio 20's did LOOK nice, too bad I could not hear them. A lot of the bookshelf speakers are only rated at 45 Hz and above. What does that really mean in terms of what I won't hear in movies and music. In other words, what kind of stuff is down around 35 and 40Hz. As I said before I am not a big bass/sub junky, but I do want some low end.
    Last edited by Stereomaniac; 10-19-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Forum Regular
    1.) The delaer I work for treats every customer the same... we do not do appointments... sometimes people ahve tow wait a bit for help if we are busy but we do the best we can to work with people and try to set them up with the best product for their needs, not our margin.

-I would not shop at a store where I have to make an appointment or show my willingness to spend money to get a demo. Travis Audio/Video refused to demo a cd player for me. thankfully, it saved me from buying a piece of Sony ES gear.

2.) the real issue... speakers. I would recomment Paradigm Monitor 5s (big bookshelf, uses a ~20-22" stand) or monitors 7s they are 800$ so stretch you budget a bit. I personnaly prefer the 5s due to there great midrange performance. But for a no sub setup I main lean towards the 7s especially if classical music is to played.

nightflier
    Stereomaniac,

The Polk RT8's are a pretty big speaker. I was referring to the older Polk stuff that you can get used in your price range. I have owned LSi7's, a surround setup with RT600i's as fronts, the new Monitor series, and a few bookshelves I don't remember the model numbers from. The one thing I do know about the new Rt line is that they are very big and require a lot of power to drive them adequately.

At the same price point, Paradigm makes a much better speaker, in my opinion, although I'm not too familiar with them. What I would recommend, however, is that you consider buying used. You would be able to get speakers well beyond your current budget. Also, there are several mail-order online places that will allow you to return speakers if you don't like them. I've had very good quality and service from Axiom Audio. You might want to check them out.

Official User

Paradigm Problem

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Stereomaniac,

The Polk RT8's are a pretty big speaker. I was referring to the older Polk stuff that you can get used in your price range. I have owned LSi7's, a surround setup with RT600i's as fronts, the new Monitor series, and a few bookshelves I don't remember the model numbers from. The one thing I do know about the new Rt line is that they are very big and require a lot of power to drive them adequately.

At the same price point, Paradigm makes a much better speaker, in my opinion, although I'm not too familiar with them. What I would recommend, however, is that you consider buying used. You would be able to get speakers well beyond your current budget. Also, there are several mail-order online places that will allow you to return speakers if you don't like them. I've had very good quality and service from Axiom Audio. You might want to check them out.
    The problem with Paradigm is that the only dealer for a 100 miles is the one previously mentioned with their snobby, pushy attitude. I suppose I could go mail order, but I do try to buy local for service and support and extras they through my way.

Are you sure you are talking about the right Polks? The RTi8 is rated at 20-250 watts per channel at 8 ohms and 90db sensitivity. I was previously driving Phase Technology 845s which were a 4 ohm, 93 db speaker with no problems. I don't think they should be too hard to drive.

I listen to a few higher end bookshelves and really missed the low end and the fullness of the sound. Mids were great though. Phase Technology would be my other hope locally. I have to give the V-10s another listen.

nightflier

Polk RTi8's

Quote Originally Posted by Stereomaniac
    Are you sure you are talking about the right Polks? The RTi8 is rated at 20-250 watts per channel at 8 ohms and 90db sensitivity. I was previously driving Phase Technology 845s which were a 4 ohm, 93 db speaker with no problems. I don't think they should be too hard to drive.
    Yup. On paper they seem pretty easy to drive, but last year I got a chance to hook up different amps with the sales reps at Tweeter (local mid-fi shop). The RTi8's sounded noticeably better driven by a dedicated 200W B&K amp, than with any of the multi-channel receivers which put out someowhere between 80-120W. Maybe the power rating is not so much the determining factor as the quality of the amp, but is was quite noticeable.

I've also read online that a common complaint about these speakers not measuring up, is a result of poor amplification. Those Polks will want all 250W they are rated for and sound much fuller and powerful with a good solid amp.

Official User

I will have to give them another listen

I will have to hear the Polks on a smaller wattage amp and see if they suffer. I am only driving 50w/channel. I listen to the Phase Tech V-10s again today and was impressed. They are $200 more than the Polks and probably not an audiophile speaker, but they sounded among the best I have heard below $1000 and they are video shielded which is a must given my CRT and its position.

I listened to the Jamo D450 and E680 and thought they were nice. Not shielded though and the D450 at $1600 MSRP was over-priced even with a dealer "discount". In the $1600 range a world of possibilities open up although I am not sure I can drive them adequately with 50w/channel.

nightflier
    Do any of the dealers in your area have Quad speakers? They are very affordable, have superb workmanship, and offer very impressive performance. The 21L & 22L are great floor-standers. They often go on sale second hand for well under $1K.

Forum Regular

KEF IQ9's..

a raging bargain at around 600.00 usd. I've seen it advertised in the low 400's from online vendors I'm not familiar with. Liquid mids and highs and the best imaging I've experienced at this price point.

nightflier
    I don't know the KEF's that well but at the $600 price, that seems like a good value. I am surprised, however, that they won't go lower than 38Hz. Given their size and the configuration, It's almost as if the speaker was designed strictly as a HT main (requiring a sub to fill out the bass).

Forum Regular

It's a British design..

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I don't know the KEF's that well but at the $600 price, that seems like a good value. I am surprised, however, that they won't go lower than 38Hz. Given their size and the configuration, It's almost as if the speaker was designed strictly as a HT main (requiring a sub to fill out the bass).
    The Brits were never the bass heads we yanks are. I can't speak to the design goal of the IQ9 but a sub certainly helps. The IQ9's strength is in a coherent midrange and treble presentation. This may have something to do with the coaxial design. The result is a very, very smooth sounding speaker with imaging that is second to none. KEF's reference line looks amazing but the jump in price from the Q series to the Reference series is dramatic. I'd guess that the Q series is manufactured in China or thereabouts. Check them out at a dealer in your area or buy them online from a source with a good return policy.

heck, i'll throw an older model out there....the PSB Image 5T....it was recently replaced by a newer line (T55). However, the 5T was only around $600 and is a full range speaker. Great all around, clear highs, nice mids and some decent bass.
    I was very impressed when i demoed the whole Image line and it did well against some other brands....I didn't buy them, but remember how well they sounded against the more expensive models.

Maybe check for a local PSB dealer in your area....worth a shot.

nightflier

Quad 22L

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagump
    The Brits were never the bass heads we yanks are.
    Well the Quads are also british right? The 22L goes down to 30Hz. That's pretty good for a bargain-priced speakers in my book. Only the Vandersteen 2's will do that, but according to the online posts, at the expense of the mid-range & trebble. Now I know they are now Chinese owned with Wharfedale and a few other companies, but they still get excellent reviews.

A friend of mine just purchased a pair of 22Ls. We're going to do a showdown with my Nightingales (which only go down to 39Hz) so am very curious to see & hear what these speakers can do. He bought them w/o having heard them, so this should be interesting. He likes bright sounding gear and my speakers are right up his alley. The Quads better be able to measure up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information