Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Regular
    I must agree with you and upon futher consideration the Cambridge seems to fit the bill nicely which no other sub can do. Excellent musical reviews, small box, very attractive, deep bass down to 24Hz, full control with remote.

How should I set this up any thougths, problem is I have my tv kiddie cornerd in the living room and the couch against the far wall at a 90 degree angle. Main Speakers are right next to the TV and anlged at 45 anlge toward the main listening area. Room has hardwood floors and a full brickwall fireplace. I don't even know where to begin to set this up? In the past I could not get my old Paradigm PDR-10 to blend well with my Boston VR-M60's, you could always tell where the bass was coming from. Maybe that is because it did not have a phase control?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard
    I must agree with you and upon futher consideration the Cambridge seems to fit the bill nicely which no other sub can do. Excellent musical reviews, small box, very attractive, deep bass down to 24Hz, full control with remote.

How should I set this up any thougths, problem is I have my tv kiddie cornerd in the living room and the couch against the far wall at a 90 degree angle. Main Speakers are right next to the TV and anlged at 45 anlge toward the main listening area. Room has hardwood floors and a full brickwall fireplace. I don't even know where to begin to set this up? In the past I could not get my old Paradigm PDR-10 to blend well with my Boston VR-M60's, you could always tell where the bass was coming from. Maybe that is because it did not have a phase control?
    Well, that could include any number of potential causes. The crossover point, the phase, and room-induced effects. With my sub, it gave away its location very readily (registered a +14 db peak at 88 Hz) before I corrected some of the room induced peaks with a parametric EQ. Once that was corrected, the sub blended in with the rest of the speakers very well.

Forum Regular
    That sounds so damn complicated... Is there a subwoofer set up for dummys????

AR Newbie Registered Member

Redbeard sees (or hears?) the light!

Glad to see you're coming around, Red. A/V forums are helpful when taken with the proper skepticism and reading between the lines. IOW, sometimes, 50,000 Elvis fans can be wrong. bobhaze said it all pretty well; no need for me to labor the point.

My first thought about localization of bass would be crossover freq. After that, I'm not nearly experienced enough to offer any valuable advice on dealing with room effects or peaks and valleys. (I'm much better at telling you how to spend your money )

As for placement, you could put it in the corner behind the TV, maybe? No, that'd be a tragedy because you couldn't see that beautiful CSW cabinet. BTW, my Newt'n bookshelves are also in the blonde maple and they are GO-geous. But I digress...

IIRC, the P500 comes with a "semi-parametric EQ" (per the CSW web site). That might help some. You might try e-mailing your scenario to someone at CSW, via the link on their site. You could also visit HERE It's a little hive of guys who've drunk the CSW Kool-Aid. There's actually been a pretty active conversation lately about the pros and cons of the P500 vs. the P1000, etc. bobhaze, you might check it out, too, if you're so inclined.

Forum Regular
    Sold on the P500

F1
    Sold on the P500
    With $800 price tag?

Forum Regular
    "what is a parametric equalizer?"

An equalizer is a circuit whose frequency response is deliberately altered. Gain of the circuit becomes a function of frequency deliberately tailored to meet a specific need.
    A graphic equalizer is circuit which has a series of controls, each affecting a specific predetermined frequency band and the bandwidth or Q of the effect is also predetermined.
    A parmetric equalizer is more flexible in that it allows you to adjust the center frequency of the adjustment, the bandwidth or Q of the frequencies it will affect, as well as the degree of the change (boost or cut) it will make. When properly used, it has certain advantages over graphic equalizers in that its response can often be better tailored to the problem it is intended to solve. But only in some circumstances and only if properly used.

Forum Regular
    No not $800, $480 refurbished at cambridge soundworks.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information