Suspended

Should all speakers in your HT set up have the same(efficiency) sensitivity level ?

My Polks sensitivity (efficiency) level are 89dbs while my Boston surrounds are 88db, is this alright and should I do certain adjustments?
    Last edited by Dmax; 01-14-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    No, there's no requirement for this, or real benefit to it if you have sufficient power. Level settings on your receiver make up for these differences. A few dB's here and there won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmax
    My Polks sensitivity (efficiency) level are 89dbs while my Boston surrounds are 88db, is this alright and should I do certain adjustments?
    As long as you properly calibrate your system, setting your distances and levels than you'll be fine. You'll need a SPL meter to proper set your levels.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    No, there's no requirement for this, or real benefit to it if you have sufficient power. Level settings on your receiver make up for these differences. A few dB's here and there won't matter.
    Thanx!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    As long as you properly calibrate your system, setting your distances and levels than you'll be fine. You'll need a SPL meter to proper set your levels.
    You mean i"ll have to by an SPL meter as if I can afford to buy anything else.I guess I should just put the other surround speakers I have that I know for a fact has the same efficiency level as the fronts and center back and keep that SPL meter money in my pocket huh?
    Last edited by Dmax; 01-14-2006 at 09:56 PM.

You mean i"ll have to by an SPL meter as if I can afford to buy anything else.I guess I should just put the other surround speakers I have that I know for a fact has the same efficiency level as the fronts and center back and keep that SPL meter money in my pocket huh?
    Absolutely you should get a SPL meter. Having a system channel balanced by a SPL meter can make a huge improvement in the surround imaging and encirclement effect. In a 5.1 setup, your ears cannot discern between all of those level differences accurately enough to adjust the levels to within the 0.5 db steps available on most processors/receivers.

It's not just the sensitivity (difference between 88 and 89 db is not that big) that creates level differences between the speakers in your system. Factors such as room acoustics and speaker placement will cause differences in the levels.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Absolutely you should get a SPL meter. Having a system channel balanced by a SPL meter can make a huge improvement in the surround imaging and encirclement effect. In a 5.1 setup, your ears cannot discern between all of those level differences accurately enough to adjust the levels to within the 0.5 db steps available on most processors/receivers.

It's not just the sensitivity (difference between 88 and 89 db is not that big) that creates level differences between the speakers in your system. Factors such as room acoustics and speaker placement will cause differences in the levels.
    Dmax
    Wooch is right. (Not that he needs affirmation from a newbie like me...) My new reciever has an auto calibration feature that is similar to an SPL meter. For the first time my speakers are calibrated taking into the factors Wooch mentioned and it is like night and day in terms of a balanced/integrated sound and overall sound quality. Prior to that I had debated the usefuliness of a SPL meter because I was under the mistaken belief that using my old recievers test tones and my own ears would be sufficient. The adjustments made by the auto calibration method were just not ones I would have come up with on my own. I would put some research into finding a good SPL meter. Many on this site have made references to one available at Radio Shack for about $50 but I am sure that either on this thread or if you create a new thread there are alot people who can give you suggestions on the various SPL meters out there.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Dmax
    Wooch is right. (Not that he needs affirmation from a newbie like me...) My new reciever has an auto calibration feature that is similar to an SPL meter. For the first time my speakers are calibrated taking into the factors Wooch mentioned and it is like night and day in terms of a balanced/integrated sound and overall sound quality. Prior to that I had debated the usefuliness of a SPL meter because I was under the mistaken belief that using my old recievers test tones and my own ears would be sufficient. The adjustments made by the auto calibration method were just not ones I would have come up with on my own. I would put some research into finding a good SPL meter. Many on this site have made references to one available at Radio Shack for about $50 but I am sure that either on this thread or if you create a new thread there are alot people who can give you suggestions on the various SPL meters out there.
    I will definately look into it now. Thanks guys

Dmax,

Going along with what Woochifer and Thekid already stated, properly setting your levels and distances as well as proper positioning of your speakers will do wonders to your system. I have an auto setup mic that came with my Denon, and it's pretty accurate, but I still double check with my SPL meter and make small adjustments. Trust me, once you get a meter, you'll be pulling it out all the time. If you change speakers, move em around or change the layout of the room, then it's time to recalibrate. If you decide to go with the Radioshack meter, get the analog one. I made the mistake of getting the digital. Not a big deal, but I guess the analog can be a little bit more accurate.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Dmax,

Going along with what Woochifer and Thekid already stated, properly setting your levels and distances as well as proper positioning of your speakers will do wonders to your system. I have an auto setup mic that came with my Denon, and it's pretty accurate, but I still double check with my SPL meter and make small adjustments. Trust me, once you get a meter, you'll be pulling it out all the time. If you change speakers, move em around or change the layout of the room, then it's time to recalibrate. If you decide to go with the Radioshack meter, get the analog one. I made the mistake of getting the digital. Not a big deal, but I guess the analog can be a little bit more accurate.
    Gotcha ! Thanx

Thread Information