Forum Regular

Fronts and center channel for a college apartment.

I am looking to replace the bose speakers I’ve been using with the beginnings of a surround sound system. I have a sony DTS receiver. I would like to start with a decent sounding center channel and left and right front channel speakers. I’m a poor college student though. So, I can only afford something in the $250-350 range. The room is small. I think it is 13x13. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For college students in a small space on a limited budget, your best bet is Logitech Z-5500 speakers ($288 on Amazon). This is a full surround system.

On the other hand, if you're looking to build up slowly, I might suggest a pair of Axiom M3 bookshelf speakers, and then later an Axiom VP100 center channel.

Also I haven't auditionned these myself, but you could pick up a pair of SVS SBS-01 speakers plus an SVS SCS-01 center for $400.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into those. Is there anyone in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area of Tennessee that knows of a good place to go audition speakers?

Forum Regular
    So, I listened to as many speakers as I could find in my price range. I decided the Polk RTi4s and the CTi3 were the best. I haven't set them up yet 'cause I'm still at my rents house, but I'm pretty excited about getting bck the the apartment. Thanks again for the help.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats DelSi. It was about the time that I switched from HTIBs to real speaks that I really became interested in the hobby. Feel free to ask any set-up questions and let us know when yer ready to move up the food chain (it'll happen). Have fun and enjoy the tunes.

Thread Information