Forum Regular

I just auditioned a pair of CJ driven Aerial 20t

These are some gorgeous speakers and while they put my DIY SET/OBs to shame cosmetically I found them fatiguing after 10 minutes. Maybe it was the solid state CJ amp but I just don't get this from my home brew system.

Aerial Acoustics - Model 20T Version 2 Gallery

knowing Mike Kelly's history with ADS i would think the last knock on Aerial speakers would be listening fatigue. i wouldnt think the cause would be due to ss amplification of Conrad Johnson quality either. can you elaborate on the other gear and the room involved?
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    These are some gorgeous speakers and while they put my DIY SET/OBs to shame cosmetically I found them fatiguing after 10 minutes. Maybe it was the solid state CJ amp but I just don't get this from my home brew system.

Aerial Acoustics - Model 20T Version 2 Gallery
    I've never heard the Aerials but by some accounts those ribbon tweets are very revealing of up-stream imperfections. Or perhaps you'v just become used to rolled-off speakers that lack resolution.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I've never heard the Aerials but by some accounts those ribbon tweets are very revealing of up-stream imperfections. Or perhaps you'v just become used to rolled-off speakers that lack resolution.
    That was exactly my thought....ribbon tweets and the like...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I've listened to a couple speakers with ribbon tweeters ( Dali and Mark & Daniel )and found them revealing and detailed but not fatiquing. Again it could have been the source, which was a Rega Apollo.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    The Aerial 20t V2's ( same finish as in the picture ) were driven by a solid state Conrad Johnson CA200. The Sheffield demo CD was played on a McCormack CD player. The room was a typical well dampened high end HT dealer demo room with plush HT chairs, huge sound conditioner, garden hose sized bi-wired speaker cables and IC's

Without question my, primitive in comparison, 2a3 SET powered FR OB's resolve much greater detail at lower levels than the the CJ/20t combo could muster. I kept cranking up the CJ to hear more but never reached a satisfactory level. I've owned Classe powered Aerials and thought they were good until I discovered the fatigue free sound of single ended triodes and HE full rangers. Today was just more confirmation of what I've known all along.

Thread Information