Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    meteo man
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    35

    Revel Concerta F-12 speakers

    I was just wondering if anyone has heard the new Revel Concerta F-12 speakers? I am interested in purchasing them, but there is no dealer in the area so Hi-fi Farm said they could send me a pair to audition. It still would cost me shipping both ways if I am not happy with them (not an inconsequential amount of money), therefore I am trying to get opinions on them before I decide to audition them.

    Steve from Hi-fi Farm said they are classic sounding Revel speakers. What does that mean? How do Revel speakers sound in general? Would these speakers be compatible with my equipment? I would like a speaker with great soundstaging abilities. If I had to have coloration (which all systems are to a certain extent), I would prefer my system to be a tad on the bright side. Thanks for your help in advance.
    meteo man

    Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

  2. #2
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard the new Revel Concerta F-12 speakers? I am interested in purchasing them, but there is no dealer in the area so Hi-fi Farm said they could send me a pair to audition. It still would cost me shipping both ways if I am not happy with them (not an inconsequential amount of money), therefore I am trying to get opinions on them before I decide to audition them.

    Steve from Hi-fi Farm said they are classic sounding Revel speakers. What does that mean? How do Revel speakers sound in general? Would these speakers be compatible with my equipment? I would like a speaker with great soundstaging abilities. If I had to have coloration (which all systems are to a certain extent), I would prefer my system to be a tad on the bright side. Thanks for your help in advance.
    I received an email from my local Revel dealer a month or so ago and he said Revel is having problems with the wood supplier and they are delayed. Hopefully, that problem is no more.

    Revel has some great info on their site about the process of speaker building. Classic Revel sound is 'revealing', 'low coloration' and i would add 'precise'. They're very detailed and overall build quality is second to none. The Concertas are their entry line, but not a 'budget' line. The Performa line is next, followed by the top dog Ultima.

    The Ultima line is unbelievable, but requires you to get a 2nd morgage or sell your newborn.

    I don't see any problem with your current setup. Adcom is a great match for the Performa line.

    If you like 'bright' speakers....you need to research and see if the Concertas have the a tweeter control. Found on the Performa and Ultima lines, this allows the owner to adjust the tweeter sound based on hearing preference and listening room. I prefer a more warmer speaker, so i turn the tweeter down. There are 5 settings with neutral in the center.

    If not, you'll need some amp demo time. I found NAD too bright for me and Rotel just right (warmer). Although, I feel the Adcom will serve you well. I heard the F30s powered by an Adcom 5803 (i think that's right) it was like 225x2. I don't forsee you'll need that much power though.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    494

    No, I have not heard them yet, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard the new Revel Concerta F-12 speakers? I am interested in purchasing them, but there is no dealer in the area so Hi-fi Farm said they could send me a pair to audition. It still would cost me shipping both ways if I am not happy with them (not an inconsequential amount of money), therefore I am trying to get opinions on them before I decide to audition them.

    Steve from Hi-fi Farm said they are classic sounding Revel speakers. What does that mean? How do Revel speakers sound in general? Would these speakers be compatible with my equipment? I would like a speaker with great soundstaging abilities. If I had to have coloration (which all systems are to a certain extent), I would prefer my system to be a tad on the bright side. Thanks for your help in advance.
    ...I recently talked to my local dealer. He said said they were voiced close to the Performa series, but the the 'lil guys lacked a bit in the resolution, dynamics, and bass areas. Generic answer, eh? But it makes sense...

    The good news is the floorstander is about $1300, and the standmount is circa $600... not bad.

    Where are they made? Not sure... Hhmmm... like the Far East lower JBLs, or the California-massaged Revels? This new line might be priced too low for them to make their own drivers... not sure, though.

    Geez... I would like to hear the K-2 (top dog) JBLs, though!

    I'll go listen in a week or so... probably not too shabby!

  4. #4
    meteo man
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    35

    Revel F-12 speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    ...I recently talked to my local dealer. He said said they were voiced close to the Performa series, but the the 'lil guys lacked a bit in the resolution, dynamics, and bass areas. Generic answer, eh? But it makes sense...

    The good news is the floorstander is about $1300, and the standmount is circa $600... not bad.

    Where are they made? Not sure... Hhmmm... like the Far East lower JBLs, or the California-massaged Revels? This new line might be priced too low for them to make their own drivers... not sure, though.

    Geez... I would like to hear the K-2 (top dog) JBLs, though!

    I'll go listen in a week or so... probably not too shabby!

    I called customer service and they said that the Concerta line of speakers are made in Mexico.
    meteo man

    Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    141
    Aren't the new Revel line just repackaged Infinity's. Look at the Beta line, they
    have the exact same center, floor stander and surround layouts??
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

  6. #6
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by swgiust
    Aren't the new Revel line just repackaged Infinity's. Look at the Beta line, they
    have the exact same center, floor stander and surround layouts??
    interesting, i need to check this out...makes sense from a profit standpoint....why do all the research, etc..when you can borrow from you brother, encase in real-wood veneer and slap a new logo.

  7. #7
    meteo man
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by swgiust
    Aren't the new Revel line just repackaged Infinity's. Look at the Beta line, they
    have the exact same center, floor stander and surround layouts??

    You could be right, but do you think Harmon International would risk Revel's high end reputation by just rebaging an Infinity line of speakers? I think a lot of the research for the Concerta line was done in producing the Perfoma line of speakers.
    Last edited by edlchiang62; 08-04-2005 at 01:41 PM.
    meteo man

    Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

  8. #8
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    if you have not heard them yourself I would not buy them - everything gets hyped by someone -- whether it will be good for you only you can say -- the rest of this is mere speculation as to whether you will like them or not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  2. The Nuance thread
    By Mike H in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 03:45 AM
  3. RGA Reviews Page 3 - yes still more.
    By RGA in forum Speakers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •