• 07-28-2005, 02:33 PM
    edlchiang62
    Revel Concerta F-12 speakers
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard the new Revel Concerta F-12 speakers? I am interested in purchasing them, but there is no dealer in the area so Hi-fi Farm said they could send me a pair to audition. It still would cost me shipping both ways if I am not happy with them (not an inconsequential amount of money), therefore I am trying to get opinions on them before I decide to audition them.

Steve from Hi-fi Farm said they are classic sounding Revel speakers. What does that mean? How do Revel speakers sound in general? Would these speakers be compatible with my equipment? I would like a speaker with great soundstaging abilities. If I had to have coloration (which all systems are to a certain extent), I would prefer my system to be a tad on the bright side. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • 07-29-2005, 05:59 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard the new Revel Concerta F-12 speakers? I am interested in purchasing them, but there is no dealer in the area so Hi-fi Farm said they could send me a pair to audition. It still would cost me shipping both ways if I am not happy with them (not an inconsequential amount of money), therefore I am trying to get opinions on them before I decide to audition them.

Steve from Hi-fi Farm said they are classic sounding Revel speakers. What does that mean? How do Revel speakers sound in general? Would these speakers be compatible with my equipment? I would like a speaker with great soundstaging abilities. If I had to have coloration (which all systems are to a certain extent), I would prefer my system to be a tad on the bright side. Thanks for your help in advance.

I received an email from my local Revel dealer a month or so ago and he said Revel is having problems with the wood supplier and they are delayed. Hopefully, that problem is no more.

Revel has some great info on their site about the process of speaker building. Classic Revel sound is 'revealing', 'low coloration' and i would add 'precise'. They're very detailed and overall build quality is second to none. The Concertas are their entry line, but not a 'budget' line. The Performa line is next, followed by the top dog Ultima.

The Ultima line is unbelievable, but requires you to get a 2nd morgage or sell your newborn.

I don't see any problem with your current setup. Adcom is a great match for the Performa line.

If you like 'bright' speakers....you need to research and see if the Concertas have the a tweeter control. Found on the Performa and Ultima lines, this allows the owner to adjust the tweeter sound based on hearing preference and listening room. I prefer a more warmer speaker, so i turn the tweeter down. There are 5 settings with neutral in the center.

If not, you'll need some amp demo time. I found NAD too bright for me and Rotel just right (warmer). Although, I feel the Adcom will serve you well. I heard the F30s powered by an Adcom 5803 (i think that's right) it was like 225x2. I don't forsee you'll need that much power though.
  • 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
    Jimmy C
    No, I have not heard them yet, but...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edlchiang62

...I recently talked to my local dealer. He said said they were voiced close to the Performa series, but the the 'lil guys lacked a bit in the resolution, dynamics, and bass areas. Generic answer, eh? But it makes sense...

The good news is the floorstander is about $1300, and the standmount is circa $600... not bad.

Where are they made? Not sure... Hhmmm... like the Far East lower JBLs, or the California-massaged Revels? This new line might be priced too low for them to make their own drivers... not sure, though.

Geez... I would like to hear the K-2 (top dog) JBLs, though!

I'll go listen in a week or so... probably not too shabby!
  • 08-03-2005, 04:36 PM
    edlchiang62
    Revel F-12 speakers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    ...I recently talked to my local dealer. He said said they were voiced close to the Performa series, but the the 'lil guys lacked a bit in the resolution, dynamics, and bass areas. Generic answer, eh? But it makes sense...

The good news is the floorstander is about $1300, and the standmount is circa $600... not bad.

Where are they made? Not sure... Hhmmm... like the Far East lower JBLs, or the California-massaged Revels? This new line might be priced too low for them to make their own drivers... not sure, though.

Geez... I would like to hear the K-2 (top dog) JBLs, though!

I'll go listen in a week or so... probably not too shabby!

I called customer service and they said that the Concerta line of speakers are made in Mexico.
  • 08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
    swgiust
    Aren't the new Revel line just repackaged Infinity's. Look at the Beta line, they
    have the exact same center, floor stander and surround layouts??
  • 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swgiust
    Aren't the new Revel line just repackaged Infinity's. Look at the Beta line, they

interesting, i need to check this out...makes sense from a profit standpoint....why do all the research, etc..when you can borrow from you brother, encase in real-wood veneer and slap a new logo.
  • 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
    edlchiang62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swgiust

You could be right, but do you think Harmon International would risk Revel's high end reputation by just rebaging an Infinity line of speakers? I think a lot of the research for the Concerta line was done in producing the Perfoma line of speakers.
  • 08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
    RGA
    if you have not heard them yourself I would not buy them - everything gets hyped by someone -- whether it will be good for you only you can say -- the rest of this is mere speculation as to whether you will like them or not.