Thread: Axiom vs ProAc

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Axiom vs ProAc

Hi guys,

I'm living in Begium (Europe) therefore I can't hear the Millenia M80ti... it's a shame as it seems that it is highly praised here...
    I did recently listen to the ProAc Studio 125 which are quite surprising to me... (just 1 tweeter and 1 driver but what a sound!)...

The thing is that I'm building an entire system from scratch so here's what I do have in mind...
    CD source will be an Arcam CD93
    PreAmp could be a Musical Fidelity A3.2 or a Rogue Audio Ninety Nine
    The Amp will be a Musical fidelity A3.2 or a Rogue Audio Studio 90...

The system that was initialy planned was the CD93+MF PreAmp+2*MF PowerAmp (bi amping)+Studio 125
    Now that I've heard about those tubes amps (Rogue) and Axiom... I'm no more 100% sure about my choice...
    What's your opinion for the all system (I know that I also need to consider Interconnect and speaker cable)?
    What's your opinion on speaker side?

Thx for your opinions

Forum Regular
    First off, it would be helpful if we knew what your budget was. So take my, or any, suggestions with a grain of salt. That being written, I like the ProAc Studio 125's very much. I do not particularly like the sound of Musical Fidelity's solid state equipment. Since ProAc's are tube friendly, I say go with Rogue! Have you thought about the Rogue Audio Tempest Integrated amp? This way you save some cashso you can by a better source component. Say, the Arcam FMJ CD33; retails for @$2500. U.S..
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    Since ProAc's are tube friendly...
    Could you please explain...?

Forum Regular
    They are an 8 ohm speaker, and their impedance is fairly flat. This makes them tube friendly. Their sensitivity, on the other hand, is a little below average, I believe @87db. If you like to listen to your music loudly you might need an amplifier with a wattage output about 60 wpc or higher.

I would seriously audition the Tempest. I really liked what I heard through a pair of Legacy speakers, who by the way are harder to drive than the ProAc's. The legacy are a 4 ohm speaker, but they more sensitive, @94 db.

Good luck, and do not rush into your decision.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Forum Regular
    the M80's are great speakers, but dont seem to sound best with tube power amps,. Their high sensitivity makes them ideal but their 4 ohm impedence makes them less than ideal. They like SS power and they seem to like alot of it. Instead of the musical fidelity which is probbly a little over rated you might want to look at the NAD C372 integrated. Its supposed to be quite a bit better than the older C370 and has 30 more wpc with a total of 150 wpc.

Thread Information