Rehabbed Time Window 1's

Printable View

• 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
    thekid
    Rehabbed Time Window 1's
    My brother scored for free a beat up pair of DCM Time Window 1's that had seen better days. Tweeters were in good shape but one of the woofers was bad. I gave him a pair of woofers from a pair of TF-500's that had a bad tweeter. I need to work a little on the trim work but overall I think he did a great job for his first rehab project.

Sound wise they sound very good with very clear highs and mids. Lows might need to be supplemented by a sub as they do not seem to go as low as the Advents or KLH-17's. Might put them in as the rear pair in my all DCM HT set-up.
  • 04-24-2009, 04:38 AM
    Worf101
    Wow.....
    My "speaker fetish" has led me to some strange places and I've seen some bizarre speaks but I've never, ever run across those. How tall are they, what is the speaker compliment? How do they sound?

Enquiring minds wanna know...

Da Worfster
  • 04-24-2009, 05:09 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    My "speaker fetish" has led me to some strange places and I've seen some bizarre speaks but I've never, ever run across those. How tall are they, what is the speaker compliment? How do they sound?

Enquiring minds wanna know...

Da Worfster

Hey Worf- Hope all is well!

They are about 36" tall and about 13" wide and deep.
    They have 2 Tweeters and 2 6 1/2" woofers in each cabinet. They are transmission line speakers with two off-set ports in the front. Original date of manufacture was around the mid-late 70's and MSRP was about $800 so I think I did okay for basically free... :)

I have been running them now for several hours and like the sound very much. A somewhat neutral sound but they do highs and mids Very Well. Can carry strings all the way to the top but there is no shrillness you sometimes get in other tweeters. Bass does not seem to go too low but you know it is there. Has a high WAF so these are going in as the rears of my all DCM HT. Because of the way my HT is set up I can run these for music in a 2-channel or multi-channel format. The more rare version of these the Time Window 7's just sold on E-Bay for $1625 and a slighlty later version the 1A sold for $325. E-Bay does has some crazy pricing but these have commanded a price for awhile now. Early DCM Time Windows and Time Frames have a somewhat cult following among some in the audio community. Many "audiophiles" disregard them because at one point they were a mass market speaker sold at CC and the current owner (not associated with these) is MTX . I am not saying they are world beaters but they are sleepers and the sound will surprise you if you ever get a chance to hear them.
  • 04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
    blackraven
    I've always like the DCM Time Windows but could never afford them years ago. They were sweet sounding.