Forum Regular

regarding onix tyke theater package

ok, i know that i would never consider ht packages. but, this mini satellite system looks pretty cool. especially for the price! but, i am not familiar with onix products, let alone, these tykes. they do use silk tweeters. that is nice. and the smallness of the monitors would be great for a small bedroom. but, would the movie experience be any good at all? i know that Klipsch quintet are semi decent, but they still lack the dynamics and presence that monitors offer.then i remembered def techs pro cinema series. i recall these were pretty decent as well. anyway, are these mini sat systems any good? i mean, how would they compare to, lets say, a b&w 600 series ht setup? besides differences in sonic depth.
    Any opinions/and/or comments?

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=36.1

Forum Regular
    I wouldn't compare the two. The Tyke is a budget speaker/sub system. The B&W is more high end, probably going for 2 - 3 times the cost. Your going to have a fuller sound with the B&Ws. Now, the Tykes vs. the Klipsch Quintets is a much closer battle. May wish to check out AV123s community board for more information/thoughts/reviews.

You don't want to compare a 2 1/2" woofer to an 8" woofer.

Apples to oranges. Particularly when one is designed as a "full range" item and the other to be used with a subwoofer.

Also, I question their claim about the satellites being able to make 80hz and be only 3 db down. 3 db down from what?

They might be OK for what they were designed for (HTIB mini/sub speakers) but not when compared to a "real" speaker.

Forum Regular
    no, you guys are right. it was late last night and now even reading it myself, i make no sense. not even apples to oranges, more like apples to honey baked ham. but, i am still interested in sub/sat in general. how do they compare against bose am systems? is this a fair comparison (even tho price difference is great too)

Forum Regular
    i might have meant the 600 series comapred with the ELT system from onix. any feelings here.
    i will check the av123 forum. but, i figure it will already be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    i might have meant the 600 series comapred with the ELT system from onix. any feelings here.
    i will check the av123 forum. but, i figure it will already be biased.
    You'll find well founded bias there.

You'll also find great price/performance and exceptional customer service. Experience has caused my bias. Well worth checking out IMBO.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular
    As far as the Tykes being better than the Bose AM system, well, honestly, they should be. As should the HSU Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo. Both cost far less too.

My initial feeling is the B&W 600 series would be better than the ELT (though I haven't heard the ELT). The Rocket series would probably be more along the lines of the 600s. Ask and see if anyone there has heard both the ELT and 600 series and what their impressions are.

Thread Information