Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    While I was typing my last post you posted again. Vinyl is my primary source. With 3.5K LP's and more being bought it will be my primary source for some time to come.

Is there anything you have in mind for a TT and preamp? If you need only a phono preamp The Pro-Ject Phono Box II accommodates MC and MM cartridges. At $159 it's very reasonably priced. Of course the term "reasonable" is relative.

SPDIF and video connections are specified for 75 Ohm connections/cables. In actual practice with short lengths (<1 Meter) of wire, 16 gauge zip cord will work.
    I am not sure. I have looked at the vintage used stuff but don't know the product models to look for. Have looked at the pro-jest debut 3 and the rega p series. I know I want something that is good and also can be modified later. As for as preamps are concerned I Have looked at the phono box 2 or the bellari. How does the tcc stuff rate, they are very inexpensive so they probably have a shortcoming of some sort.

I am just looking for help from people who know vinyl and have used several types and know there strengths and weaknesses.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar
    so heres the pics!

=]

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...willisdead112/

follow the link to my photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    so heres the pics!

=]

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...willisdead112/

follow the link to my photobucket!
    Well they look pretty good or at least look like they could be saved from audio hell. Just a little luv and elbow grease.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

joeE sp9 I noticed that you have a adcom 545 in your lineup. What are you powering with it? I am just wondering since I have one myself.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

well thats always good to know. im excited to get this to tip top let me tell u.

i think what you called things around the speakers is wrong, i cant find anything by that name anywhere! could u link me to something?

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    joeE sp9 I noticed that you have a adcom 545 in your lineup. What are you powering with it? I am just wondering since I have one myself.
    I use it for my Acoustat Model One's. They are the rear speakers in my system. My rears are bi-amped with a Hafler DH-200 driving the SPW-1 woofer that came with my Spectra 22's. I use I Paradigm X-30 set at 110Hz with the Adcom up top and the Hafler on the low end. Both of my Haflers have been extensively modified. The Adcom is stock except for WBT binding posts. Another GFA-545 is in my bedroom system driving a Pair of Minimus 7's and an old DBX sub using the DBX's passive crossover. That system has an Adcom GTP-450 running the show. The bedroom stuff is completely stock.

As for phono preamps I would buy the Bellari with tubes.
    I have no knowledge of TCC.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I am not sure. I have looked at the vintage used stuff but don't know the product models to look for. Have looked at the pro-jest debut 3 and the rega p series. I know I want something that is good and also can be modified later. As for as preamps are concerned I Have looked at the phono box 2 or the bellari. How does the tcc stuff rate, they are very inexpensive so they probably have a shortcoming of some sort.

I am just looking for help from people who know vinyl and have used several types and know there strengths and weaknesses.
    I have a Bellari VP129 and a Pro-Ject Tube Box. I've been very please with both. I've also had a vintage PS Audio phono preamp and was fairly pleased with it, too. I've read good reviews about the Phono Box. If that was my budget range, it's probably what I'd buy. I read some good comments about the TCC in this forum once. You could probably find them with the search engine.

Suspended
    02AN, out of the 3 phono stages which do you prefer and any sound advantage with one over the other? I wonder if Bellari sounds good or if it's popular because it's one of the cheapest with tubes. I haven't heard one but I wonder if the bass detail would be there or if it would be a bluming bass response.

Not meaning to hijack, a friend of mine bought a Chinese tube amp for like $150.00 new, it was a brand I've never heard of and like 25x2. I thought this thing was going to really be offensive sounding. I've heard better but I was pretty impressed for $150.00. I think it only has two inputs. It's hard to gauge the sound but I'd say it sounds better than most entry to mid receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    02AN, out of the 3 phono stages which do you prefer and any sound advantage with one over the other? I wonder if Bellari sounds good or if it's popular because it's one of the cheapest with tubes. I haven't heard one but I wonder if the bass detail would be there or if it would be a bluming bass response.
    I really like the Bellari but everything I like about it is better with the Tube Box. The Bellari has decent bass and the Tube Box's bass is deeper and tighter. The Bellari has surprising soundstaging and the Tube Box is better by a long shot. The Bellari has a nice lifelike midrange and again the Tube Box is better. I paid $100 for the Bellari, so it's terrific for what I paid, but my favorite between the two is easily the Tube Box.

As for the PS Audio preamp...it just wasn't as exciting and enjoyable to listen to. I bought it in the hopes of having lower noise than the phono stage in my Adcom GFP-565 and it succeeded there. But it isn't on par with what PS Audio is making now and it doesn't hang with the Tube Box. I suppose it was not a step down from the GFP-565, and it was quieter.

Given that I've seen good but not spectacular reviews of the Tube Box, I sometimes wonder how good the ones with the giant-killer reputations must be. I figure I could sell both the Bellari and the Tube Box for more than I paid, so I might upgrade with the proceeds from both and just put my linear turntable back on the phono input of my Marantz receiver. I'm often tempted when I see the PS Audio GCPH on Audiogon, but haven't pulled the trigger because I figure I've got some synergy going.

Suspended
    I have a gtp-450 that works well. The specs show it only has a 1v output which sounds low but it drove the gfa-5400 great and the 5500 will split your eardrum. If it was the 450 you all had an issue with maybe there was a bad batch or if using other brand amps something else that didn't match spec.

I too have a GTP-450. It's driving a GFA-545 in my bedroom system. I've never noticed the 450's output to be low. If anything, the combination does a more than adequate job of driving a TRS Minimus 7, passive 15" DBX sub-woofer combination. Had this not come up on this thread I would have paid no attention to the the 1V output level. Knowing it is just not significant the way I'm using it.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

My thread got hi-jacked by adcom lovers =]

I would sure love to get me a good old adcom system with some huge B&W towers! That would be a happy day for me!

Suspended
    Save up and keep your eye on Audiogon. It may be awhile before I make up my mind but I will probably be selling my Adcom gear and use my Krell integrated in that spot.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information