Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Glad to hear you like them.
    I cant wait to upgrade my speaker wire and interconnects.

can you buy put on spades? or does a wire have to be terminated with it?

there so clean and relaxing, my jbls just worked to damn hard!

=]

Suspended
    I'm not sure how BJC sells their speaker wire, I believe it's bulk and if you pay extra they will terminate. You can buy terminals/plugs at Radio Shack. Really they aren't necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm not sure how BJC sells their speaker wire, I believe it's bulk and if you pay extra they will terminate. You can buy terminals/plugs at Radio Shack. Really they aren't necessary though.
    its making me mad trying to the the 12g to fit in there, and i didnt wanna re terminate it to have a clean piece of copper.

but i could add spades myself though?

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    I got um!

there in next to bad shape, but i can fix them up pretty well im thinking

since its a sealed inclosures its got a nice warm bass.

the highs are some of the best IVE heard in a long time!

For the 80 bucks i paid for the jbls a few months ago, this is the best trade/deal ive ever got!

The seperation of instruments on these speakers is insane, i was expecting tinny highs like my old cerwin vegas, WRONG! I was expecting insane annoying bass, WRONG.

Its the best 80 bucks of my life!

the surrounds are in pretty bad shape, but im will to do a re-foam (there the original 40-4034a models so they have the enhanced foam that doesnt rot, but it gets dence after years of play, and rap in the ghetto!)

there is a couple tears that arnt through the whole surround that just look bad, but dont seem to effect anything.

the midrange is nice and sweet.

I am really hearing things that wernt here before on some of my music, its strange. there songs i listen to almost on a daily bases.

after some staining, a in do time re surround and remaking some grills for them i think ima have a okay looking set of speakers.

will open them up and what not and take pics tomarrow to let yall see what there up to. idk what to look for in crossover ****.

there is a pretty big chunk missing out of the bottom of the right one, idk if thats fixable seeing as ive never fixed anything wood.

but for real, these are the best speakers ive ever owned in my life!

=]
    Great deal. They sound like they are solid but need some love. Refoaming the woofers is childs play. If all the drivers are working and sounding fine then the crossovers are probably OK but you might check for good measure since you are going to take the woofers out for refoaming anyway. As for the cabinet fix, I do carpentry work and have built several cabinets. When you put up the pictures make sure to include the broke part of the cabinet and I will try to help tell you how to fix that. Being that these are sealed enclosures it will probably b e important to fix this issue. I am glad you liked the highs i was kind of worried you would think they are bright. Horns are different in that either the design works or it doesn't. I have heard many many horn designs that sound terrible and bright. But there is horn designs out there that work real well and the kicker is normally they are more reliable due to the fact that the tweeter inside that horn does not have to work as hard to put out the same amount of sound as a conventional design due to horn loading. But I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and I am glad you like them. Rock on

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Great deal. They sound like they are solid but need some love. Refoaming the woofers is childs play. If all the drivers are working and sounding fine then the crossovers are probably OK but you might check for good measure since you are going to take the woofers out for refoaming anyway. As for the cabinet fix, I do carpentry work and have built several cabinets. When you put up the pictures make sure to include the broke part of the cabinet and I will try to help tell you how to fix that. Being that these are sealed enclosures it will probably b e important to fix this issue. I am glad you liked the highs i was kind of worried you would think they are bright. Horns are different in that either the design works or it doesn't. I have heard many many horn designs that sound terrible and bright. But there is horn designs out there that work real well and the kicker is normally they are more reliable due to the fact that the tweeter inside that horn does not have to work as hard to put out the same amount of sound as a conventional design due to horn loading. But I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and I am glad you like them. Rock on
    heres some pics for ya!!!

digys on barrow right now so i had to use my cell

ill put better ones up when i can
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails realistic mach one speakers!!!-sspx0014.jpg   realistic mach one speakers!!!-sspx0012.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images      

heres some pics for ya!!!

digys on barrow right now so i had to use my cell

ill put better ones up when i can
    They look like they will need a little hug and some love but nothing major. I would get that cabinet fixed though. You said these are sealed inclosures with no port so it is important that they have no places where the woofers backpressure will leak out and to me it looks like there might be a slight opening where the cabinet is broke off. If this is true then you need to fix this to get the best peformance. the easiest is to sand that area smooth and take some mdf and measure and cut it to fit the triangular space there. You could probably use some industrial strength wood glue to glue the piece in place and sand down until it matches the panel. The only thing is you will be missing the woodgrain vinyl speaker covering there but you could probably stain it or possibly paint it to match the best you can. Other than that you would have to replace that whole cabinet panel and that would probably be a chore. Do the L-pads work cleanly because they are easy to clean up if they have any static when you attenuate them.

As far as you wire, like was said earlier you can pick up spade plugs at the shack or another store that sells speaker wire and connects. I am not sure what kind of wire connectors these speaker used since when they were made they had several types of connectors. Not like the banana plug screw tight you see common today. But I an sure you will figure it out. It also looks like your going to be in the refoam zone too, but there are to many companies to list that make good refoaming kits for those 15's.
    How does your amp push them? Most speakers that are designed like them are pretty efficient and don't take mondo power to make them bark so I suspect that this is not a problem. But from what my friend told me they can jam with a couple hundred watts on them. Well cool now you are a vintage speaker rocker. well rock on

I forgot to ask if you seen the video I told you about on how to fix the dust caps on those. I feel its probably the best method.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Cool

They look like they will need a little hug and some love but nothing major. I would get that cabinet fixed though. You said these are sealed inclosures with no port so it is important that they have no places where the woofers backpressure will leak out and to me it looks like there might be a slight opening where the cabinet is broke off. If this is true then you need to fix this to get the best peformance. the easiest is to sand that area smooth and take some mdf and measure and cut it to fit the triangular space there. You could probably use some industrial strength wood glue to glue the piece in place and sand down until it matches the panel. The only thing is you will be missing the woodgrain vinyl speaker covering there but you could probably stain it or possibly paint it to match the best you can. Other than that you would have to replace that whole cabinet panel and that would probably be a chore. Do the L-pads work cleanly because they are easy to clean up if they have any static when you attenuate them.

As far as you wire, like was said earlier you can pick up spade plugs at the shack or another store that sells speaker wire and connects. I am not sure what kind of wire connectors these speaker used since when they were made they had several types of connectors. Not like the banana plug screw tight you see common today. But I an sure you will figure it out. It also looks like your going to be in the refoam zone too, but there are to many companies to list that make good refoaming kits for those 15's.
    How does your amp push them? Most speakers that are designed like them are pretty efficient and don't take mondo power to make them bark so I suspect that this is not a problem. But from what my friend told me they can jam with a couple hundred watts on them. Well cool now you are a vintage speaker rocker. well rock on

I forgot to ask if you seen the video I told you about on how to fix the dust caps on those. I feel its probably the best method.
    watched the vid, and on my way to the store to get masking tape in the morning. the sweeper pulled out the tiny one, but its also on the side where i cant reach it.

the l pads are clean without any fuz when moved, i have both at 3db and it sounds great.

ill take better pics of the crack, it isnt through the cab, its just on the front stip and the bottom brace, but looks wise it will need to fixed.

The woofers themselfs look there age, but have no holes through them, so thats a plus.

they have screw/spade speaker posts in the back so ima get spades soon enough. prolley when i order my new interconnects and wire.

since i got them home around 9 i couldnt super rock out, but at low levels its quite relaxing, im actually listening to cds ive never listened to cuz i havent gotten around to, thats how nice there sounding, i forsee no sleep tonight. =]

im happy with my find.

well hope you can help me through this whole thing, i suck at fixing things, no handy man here!

watched the vid, and on my way to the store to get masking tape in the morning. the sweeper pulled out the tiny one, but its also on the side where i cant reach it.

the l pads are clean without any fuz when moved, i have both at 3db and it sounds great.

ill take better pics of the crack, it isnt through the cab, its just on the front stip and the bottom brace, but looks wise it will need to fixed.

The woofers themselfs look there age, but have no holes through them, so thats a plus.

they have screw/spade speaker posts in the back so ima get spades soon enough. prolley when i order my new interconnects and wire.

since i got them home around 9 i couldnt super rock out, but at low levels its quite relaxing, im actually listening to cds ive never listened to cuz i havent gotten around to, thats how nice there sounding, i forsee no sleep tonight. =]

im happy with my find.

well hope you can help me through this whole thing, i suck at fixing things, no handy man here!
    I think you have a pretty straight forward job of fixing these. The refoaming is a cakewalk. The cabinet fix if done right could fix this without much effort as well. You just might have to live with no wood veneer in that little area. Maybe after you put the wood piece in there you could put a sticker there that says "vintage rules". Just an idea. let the violins play brotha

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I think you have a pretty straight forward job of fixing these. The refoaming is a cakewalk. The cabinet fix if done right could fix this without much effort as well. You just might have to live with no wood veneer in that little area. Maybe after you put the wood piece in there you could put a sticker there that says "vintage rules". Just an idea. let the violins play brotha
    it dont matter, im staining them anyways, and its just the corner so ill keep it on the right side where it wont be visable anyways

the pic is what i kinda want them to look like. how hard is it to change the dust cap?

is there anything i can put on the woofers that would livin up there color? like a poly paste?

and how does one refoam, i have never before.

thanks for being my speaker go to man, its very helpful!

im quessing im be sanding the scratches out of the wood and then fixing what not, refoaming, dusting.

the whole shabang!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails realistic mach one speakers!!!-poop.jpg  

Found that the lpad has cracks and a snapped corner, but no big deal. cant see it from afar.

I found the true surround kit for these for 14 each from speaker works.com

i wanna find a bright poly dust cap for them....ill measure them tomarrow.

figured it would look dumn if it had the paper dust cap and the rubber surrounds lol.

the woofers themself still look pretty clean, ive seen better, but prolly could use a clean up.

any way to clean a woofer?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Woofers are probably just dusty so using a soft brush on them usually works. I have heard of some people using a can of compressed air but that can be risky because every now and then some propellent shoots out and I think you want to keep any kind of liquid away from the woofers.

Good luck with the re-foam! It is not too difficult but be patient and you will be rewarded for your efforts. Post some pics when you are done!

Suspended
    If you don't feel comfortable doing the re-coning there are repair shops that will do it, but not for free

i should be fine with the refoam. i dont wanna put any un needed money into these, its just not worth it yet. i found a guy on ebay who has a set the the woofers and lpad in good shape. but i think he wants like 80b shipping to send the two woofers an the lpad! no thank you

I stayed up till five in the morning listening last night.

could i upgrade the internal wiring? like if im doing the crossover why now?

could it benifit from a higher gauge or better wire?

i should be fine with the refoam. i dont wanna put any un needed money into these, its just not worth it yet. i found a guy on ebay who has a set the the woofers and lpad in good shape. but i think he wants like 80b shipping to send the two woofers an the lpad! no thank you

I stayed up till five in the morning listening last night.

could i upgrade the internal wiring? like if im doing the crossover why now?

could it benifit from a higher gauge or better wire?
    You could if the wire looks small gauge and cheap but I bet the wire is not bad. And if the speakers are balanced sounding and both but out the same volume levels and drivers puting out the frequencies they shoudl the crossovers should be fine but if youve got to take the woofs out for a refoam then I would check them out anyway just to be on the safe side. Now if the internal speaker wires are brittle or anything due to age I would replace. It does sound like you are wanted to keep from putting much money in these and I understand. While you are in the cabinet check the interal dampening material and make sure it has not been dissrupted or gone. You can find replacement dampening stuffing on any speaker building or repair website for cheap and you would be surprised with how well controlled these speakers will sound with a properly damped cabinet. As far as new dest caps they are cheap and use the same kind of glue the surounds use. If you do want to change the look or protect your woofers they do sell a product called "the wet look" which is a high gloss plymer that you buy in pint cans and apply to your paper cone woofers and from what I have read they protect them from moisture and humidity without changes the sound of your woofers at all. These are little things that you could due on the cheap to improve these speakers. If you life them as well as you have told us there is nothing wrong with spending pennies to make them last a little longer and you will have less problems latter. Jam on

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

im in the mist of trying to balance the horn to my ears. at low levels its nice and punchy but the loader the more stress they seem to have. is this a power issue? they just seem like there hinting for power thats not there!

ima open them up and take pics later today and see what were working with!

i mean i dont mind spending if its going make a sound improvement!

I hope i can save them, there are quite a few deep scratches...is there stuff you can put in them?

Those machs that you showed earlier look allot like my friend jims machs he's got in storage. They are in good shape as well and if he wasn't such a pack rat he might part with them but I dought it. He would probably want way to much for them anyway to make it worth your while but the machs were very popular in their day and if you look hard enough you might be able to find used quality parts for them and if you like them well enough you and the price was right you could buy some backup parts for them for the future as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

the guy on ebay is willing to part his out, his cabs are just as bad but his woofers and lpad are perfect(besides from the age to the surrounds like mine) his are the 4024s to so, ima see the whole amount he wants for everything.

my woofers look better in the light, but there still quite dirty!

if its over 100 im not interested!

im in the mist of trying to balance the horn to my ears. at low levels its nice and punchy but the loader the more stress they seem to have. is this a power issue? they just seem like there hinting for power thats not there!

ima open them up and take pics later today and see what were working with!

i mean i dont mind spending if its going make a sound improvement!

I hope i can save them, there are quite a few deep scratches...is there stuff you can put in them?
    It would take some time but it the veneer if damaged to bad can be taken off which on these i believe the veneer is vinyl not real wood so it might not be that bad to take off. The same companies that sell replacement drivers and such do offer different vinyls and such to over speaker cabinets and that would be an improvement. But it would take time and some dollars to do so. I

I am not sure the power you are putting to these but it might be a power issue since solid state amplifiers due get harsh when the amp starts to clip and horns have a tendency to reveal this harshness more that some other designs. Like I was saying earlier that these speakers while being efficient will also need a good amount of clean unclipped power to reach the higher volumes that they can reach. If you want them to be load and clean then more power might be a good idea.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

It would take some time but it the veneer if damaged to bad can be taken off which on these i believe the veneer is vinyl not real wood so it might not be that bad to take off. The same companies that sell replacement drivers and such do offer different vinyls and such to over speaker cabinets and that would be an improvement. But it would take time and some dollars to do so. I

I am not sure the power you are putting to these but it might be a power issue since solid state amplifiers due get harsh when the amp starts to clip and horns have a tendency to reveal this harshness more that some other designs. Like I was saying earlier that these speakers while being efficient will also need a good amount of clean unclipped power to reach the higher volumes that they can reach. If you want them to be load and clean then more power might be a good idea.
    Huh, i read that they were real wood veneer. like five different places. its only on the top really, and they will be on stands, so not really a issue!

take a qtip fill the holes wit the finish and call it a day!

the cam should be on its way home soon, so illl show u exactly what im working with!

50wpc, pioneer sa-730.

it sounds nice and sweet at low levels, but once i try and give her a crank, shes not 2 happy

Huh, i read that they were real wood veneer. like five different places. its only on the top really, and they will be on stands, so not really a issue!

take a qtip fill the holes wit the finish and call it a day!

the cam should be on its way home soon, so illl show u exactly what im working with!

50wpc, pioneer sa-730.

it sounds nice and sweet at low levels, but once i try and give her a crank, shes not 2 happy
    You might ne right. These speakers might have a real wood veneer. I never really looked at them close enough to know. And sometimes without looking close the vinyl veneer can really play a trick on you. If they are real wood then that changed the way you would replace it and the cost by a mile. I would just try to fix them the best you can for now seeing that it will cost a bit to replace the real wood veneer.

50 wpc is enough power for normal litening on these speakers but I would say that at least 100 watts would be needed to really make them sound their best at higher volumes. I think my friend Jim played with different amps and finally ended up with around 200 wpc powering them. Remeber you will almost always hurt a speaker with less power at clipping then too much power that is clean. Voice coils on speakers hate clipping and can easily be damaged by amplifier distortion. I would say if you really want these speakers to sound their best and have the ability to crank on request then I would put your money toward a good integrated or seperates that can produce the power that will drive those big dogs to their loud sonic heaven. Just my opinion. I would suggest fixing the surounds and such before such an amp is put to these because they will get more of a workout as far a driver movement when the more powerful and cleaner amp is put to them.
    I will look forward to seeing the pics of your progress.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

I just read some stuff that was said about the dynaco tube amps and it sounds like if this stuff is in good shape that might be a good price. I'm glad you found a few people that know about the Dynaco stuff to get some insight. And with you being interested in modifying your stuff it might not be a bod purchase for you. To own tube gear you have to have a certain level of passion for fixing and modifying these things and learning how to. If you like working on stuff then this could be the way to go. I cant say how they would sound through the machs but heck if you don't like it then you could clean up the dynaco's and maybe profit off of them or just hold on to them to possibly drive a speaker that would more benefit from the tube sound from these amps.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

the refoam will be the first to do. ima order the kits here in a day or so. ill get sand paper and start cleaning edges on the cabs!

they sound fantastic at low levels. even with my horrible set up. my 8ft sony interconnect! 9.99 at target! =]

and my $.53 per foot home depot 12g wire. I do have a pretty nice belkin surge strip....that i dont use lol

would it be overkill to get the 10g wire from bluejeans?

I just read some stuff that was said about the dynaco tube amps and it sounds like if this stuff is in good shape that might be a good price. I'm glad you found a few people that know about the Dynaco stuff to get some insight. And with you being interested in modifying your stuff it might not be a bod purchase for you. To own tube gear you have to have a certain level of passion for fixing and modifying these things and learning how to. If you like working on stuff then this could be the way to go. I cant say how they would sound through the machs but heck if you don't like it then you could clean up the dynaco's and maybe profit off of them or just hold on to them to possibly drive a speaker that would more benefit from the tube sound from these amps.
    ehh, i passed on them seeing as im not the handy man! and i refuse to pay 3425363563 dollars to have someone do things for me! speaker fixing is pretty easy so i think, im sure building is a butthole but, thats why they make something called.....buy pre made speakers =]

ehh, i passed on them seeing as im not the handy man! and i refuse to pay 3425363563 dollars to have someone do things for me! speaker fixing is pretty easy so i think, im sure building is a butthole but, thats why they make something called.....buy pre made speakers =]
    Yeah most of the people who talked about the dynaco stuff had a real passion for tube amps and you could tell that they have worked on and modified several of them. Thats what I was saying earlier is that you almost have to have a good working knowledge of electrical circuits to own and modify these things. I studied electronics in school and have built and worked on several components and it took me a while of learning to be able to do the things that these people are doing to keep there tube gear in tip top shape and to make them perform at their best potential.

To own this kind of gear without this knowledge it would be very expensive to take this stuff to a shop for the kind or work that these people are doing themselves.

I have known several audiophiles in the past that are into tube gear and also being a musician I know people that use tube guitar and bass heads(amps) and almost all of them study and have knowledge when it comes to tube amp design and modifications.

Its kind of a hobby within a hobby.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Yeah most of the people who talked about the dynaco stuff had a real passion for tube amps and you could tell that they have worked on and modified several of them. Thats what I was saying earlier is that you almost have to have a good working knowledge of electrical circuits to own and modify these things. I studied electronics in school and have built and worked on several components and it took me a while of learning to be able to do the things that these people are doing to keep there tube gear in tip top shape and to make them perform at their best potential.

To own this kind of gear without this knowledge it would be very expensive to take this stuff to a shop for the kind or work that these people are doing themselves.

I have known several audiophiles in the past that are into tube gear and also being a musician I know people that use tube guitar and bass heads(amps) and almost all of them study and have knowledge when it comes to tube amp design and modifications.

Its kind of a hobby within a hobby.
    sounds expensive!

this is my first experience with a sealed cab, its def got a different sound to the bass, its not a bad sound. but i still seem to blame things on the lack of power. my amp has tights that cover the watts being pushed ive never seen it so high on the volume i have it at, its strange! its like it almost wants the whole 50 at like 3 out of 10! i normally didnt hit 50 till around 4 1/2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information