Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar

realistic mach one speakers!!!

being offered a pair for a great price in okay shape. all drivers work and they are the 4024 ones I do rekin. Will need alot of tlc and a nice soft popout of the one pushed in dust cap. (I hold on to the woofer and use a soft mode vac hose. always works for me!....anyone else do anything less chance of damage?

for a great price are these a good starter for a nice clean up and vintage 2 channel??

any input would be fantastic!

Suspended
    What do you call a great price? Depending on how you plan to listen I think the Mach One would be a decent option for starters and a lot of fun. I say this if you are looking to Rock, Rap or Pop out. If you are wanting to eke out the last detail for your money and lean toward acoustic and Jazz you can actually buy more detailed bookshelf speakers for a couple hundred bucks. I think for most people though the thrill of double 15's pumping would get the vote.

If you look on Audiogon or Craigslist you can find Adcom separates crazy cheap and it's good stuff. You strap a gfa-545 or 5400, both 125x2, to those Mach's and you will have the time of your life. You can get a preamp for probably under $150.00. If $300.00 or $400.00 is too much look around Thrift stores or Craigslist for "vintage" receivers. If you want some bass get a Kenwood at minimum but preferrable an Onkyo or Harmon Kardon. You'll see a lot of Sony, Pioneer or Technics but it was rare, if at all, any of those had any balls.

70 but talking down to 50!

=]

I listen to metal music and some rock. not rap to often.

I have a old pioneer integrated from the 80's that ive had for a while that i cant seem to replace for anything these days (I havent gotten around to buying any high end stuff....but all the sony's, yamahas, pioneers, kenwoods from the 90's up ive bought recently just to see how they worked....went back within a day!)

shows how much i love my little int.

I read a thread that they were great and people were swearing over them!

i mean, for pocket change why not?

go for gold?

Suspended
    That is a good deal and you'll probably love them. You'd better snag them if the word gets out he is selling them and only for $70.00 I bet it wouldn't take long for them to be gone.

The price you're considering is a steal, as long as they're in good condition. If I wanted a vintage setup for rock musc, I'd certainly give some thought to Mach One speakers. Within the realm of what they're designed to do, they're good speakers. And they look cool, too.

think he the guy doesnt know there kinda classic. hahah

there a little beat. everything works, and i am jobless/taking a break right now so i could use a little time passer!

plus once again for the money you cant go wrong!

you think they will work okay on my 50x2?

and were these real wood or fake?

these are the ones... besides the pushed in dust cap, they look fine to me!!

are these the originals?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

we are moving into a new place soon and i want a personal listening room for myself!

the woman hates the idea, and HATES wood coloring! but there classic, even the old guy outside my apartment building remembered these!

haha!

I am thinking about rotel, OLD pioneer and mcintosh for my add on's

would that be good for these

i should have them in a couple days!

I tend to download cds (I listen to mostly nothing but underground music, so its recorded bad anyways haha)

and listen to them for days and days (on my horrible jbl monitors!)

hope its a upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    think he the guy doesnt know there kinda classic. hahah

there a little beat. everything works, and i am jobless/taking a break right now so i could use a little time passer!

plus once again for the money you cant go wrong!

you think they will work okay on my 50x2?

and were these real wood or fake?
    That veneer was real walnut. It seems like Realistic speakers used to have a little sticker on them that said "oiled walnut". The 50 watts will be good enough for many people's purposes. If you like to rock and you find yourself with the opportunity to move up to 75 watts or 100, it would seem like something to consider. I haven't actually heard a pair of Mach One speakers since around 1984, but at the time they didn't seem like big power hogs.

ah, so thats what the guy was talking about when he said there was a sticker on them.

Now all i gotta do is the the W.A.F. and im good to go!

I was thinking about upgrading to something more powerful and using the pioneer and my jbls (which are great for a small room) in my new bedroom and getting the oppo dvd player, which could only be better then my sony POS i have now.

I found a local ad for a adcom tuner, preamp, amp and denon cd player for 300. im waiting on the model's but they seem like the 90's ones and have the adcom redline.

It comes with the double sized amp for which i remembered was the 100-125 wpc! ??

could only help!

so for the 50-70 bucks i could have these for i should def grab them?

as long as there better then the cerwin vega ls'12's i had a little while ago, which sounded like death came thru the tweeters.

=]

I don't see how you could go wrong with the Mach One speakers at 50 to 70 bucks unless they don't sound good or the cosmetic condition causes a WAF issue.

As for the Adcom gear, I've owned the GFA-535, 545 and 555 amps and the GFP-555 and 565 preamps...as well as a GCD-575 cd player and an SLC-505 passive preamp. It's all good stuff.

well thats good!

Im getting to that time in my life, where its time to settle down and get a (new) place to live and a stereo worth calling home.

I always loved vintage (old) stereo stuff cuz the power and midrange effect ive felt to my ears is untouchable from new stuff until you hit a certin cash point, where im okay with, but i am a HORRIBLE saver, so if i cant get in small (cheap) piece by piece, it aint mine!

Are the horns on these going to scare me away?

my jbls have horns but, lets face it there a normal titanium tweeter in a horn shape. so its going to be a change.

will it be insane?

Suspended
    As 02, I haven't heard the Mach One in many years and my reference is different today but the horns shouldn't be a problem, as I recall the Mach sounded balanced. For your purpose and great value the Adcom is the way to go. I don't think you'd like Rotel or Mac, to me the Rotel makes music seem a bit slower pace and the Mac is warm and pleasant enough but it's going to be expensive and I think the Adcom will give you the punch and power you need. I found the larger 200x2 amps, 555 or 5500, were more smooth on the highs. In the package you are looking at, if it's the 125x2 amp you should still be fine. I think the Adcom & Mach set up will make you a happy camper.

well good, i messaged the owners of both and should have them both in a couple days.

now are just plain blue jeans cable going to be fine for wiring the whole shabang?

I figured its not a top of the line system so good cables will do fine, not insane more then my house is worth speaker wire

now are just plain blue jeans cable going to be fine for wiring the whole shabang?
    Absolutely. Blue Jeans Cable is good quality. If you use them, I would recommend the 12-gauge at $0.52/ft. It's their cheapest cable but it's good wire. It should do nicely for any reasonable length. It would seem logical to step up to the larger wire if you need a run over say...60 to 75 feet, but not critical.

I agree with Mr. Peabody's assessment on the Adcom equipment. My current GFA-545II is brighter than the GFA-555II that I sold several months ago. I adjusted the speaker placement to deal with that. Both amps do seem to be a good fit for the Mach One speakers.

I don't remember that horn really sounding distinctive. I agree that I remember it being a reasonably balanced speaker. I have read comments that it's a little muddy on the low end, but I suspect that's in comparison to higher quality levels...not something that would be a dealbreaker for rock music.

good to know. I was going to re run all the stuff i own that came with its own wires with blue jeans cable everything. figured it would at least look nice =]

from what ive read....the 4029 was the muddy one and the 4024 was the clearer of the two. and from what ive read the 24 was the one with the good surrounds. from the pic they look perfect to me.

I just can have anything that sounds like my old cerwins. luckly i bought them for 30 and sold them for 75, so i wasnt stuck with them. but that tweeter man, just gave me head pains.

Im going to ask the guy if i can bring my stuff with me to see how it sounds. i mean if i dont like them should i buy them anyways and fix um up and find someone in audio land to buy them. seems alot of people on AK love them!

??

man this guy is tough

im looking at a onkyo int. and tuner with speakers (that i will never use)

guy wants 100, but its old stuff so im thinking ima like it!

Is there anything i should do to the mach's when i get them?????

Maybe fix the dust caps and clean them up in general. Maybe hook them up again just to make sure there are not any problems with them that you might have missed. I have a friend that has a pair of them in storage and he said that one thing he liked about them is that they were reliable. And I agree the horn tweets are generally reliable and can put out a good amount of sound without overload. They look ok in the pictures and will probably provide you with a good starting point for a good solid system.

As far as the onkyo int. amo goes I am not sure which model you are looking at and how old it is but I have worked with Onkyo stuff before and generally speaking it seems to be pretty good stuff. Just remember to look at what you can get else where for the money before buying. good luck.

ima cheap person, so i always look for the best deal!

should i suck them out with a vac or use a bent paper clip to pop out the indent?

ima take a look at the crossover when i pick them up.

I think im going to sell my jbls before i pick them up, theres no room for them and i would like to use the extra money in my system to get it where it needs to be!

ima cheap person, so i always look for the best deal!

should i suck them out with a vac or use a bent paper clip to pop out the indent?

ima take a look at the crossover when i pick them up.

I think im going to sell my jbls before i pick them up, theres no room for them and i would like to use the extra money in my system to get it where it needs to be!
    I've used a good quality tape in the past to pull out the dust caps. Axiom has a section on their website that will show you how to do this. I would not use paper clips because you will have to put a whole in your dust caps and that might look worse than the dents. I have heard of the vacuum cleaner thing but have never tried it. I would look at Axioms sight and that will give you the direction I think you need to go to fix this problem. As far as the crossovers you could take a look at them to make sure they have not been altered or changed in the past and to check the caps and coils for damage. I had to take the crossover out of my Paradigm monitor 7 just a few months ago and replace a capacitor that blew. Usually if there is a crossover component that is bad you will notice it in the sound of the speakers. Either the tweeter or woofer will have a different sound or you will notice that either are getting frequencies that they shouldn't be getting. But also you could check them out just for a learning experience to see how they are built and why they sound the way they do. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I've used a good quality tape in the past to pull out the dust caps. Axiom has a section on their website that will show you how to do this. I would not use paper clips because you will have to put a whole in your dust caps and that might look worse than the dents. I have heard of the vacuum cleaner thing but have never tried it. I would look at Axioms sight and that will give you the direction I think you need to go to fix this problem. As far as the crossovers you could take a look at them to make sure they have not been altered or changed in the past and to check the caps and coils for damage. I had to take the crossover out of my Paradigm monitor 7 just a few months ago and replace a capacitor that blew. Usually if there is a crossover component that is bad you will notice it in the sound of the speakers. Either the tweeter or woofer will have a different sound or you will notice that either are getting frequencies that they shouldn't be getting. But also you could check them out just for a learning experience to see how they are built and why they sound the way they do. Have fun!

I'm sorry the dust cap fix is on you tube and you type in axiom dust cap fix and it should pop up and it has a video that shows you how to fix this problem.

Suspended

* Onkyo is generally good stuff, my pick of the mass market brands because their amp sections are true high current and you can hear the difference that makes. Unless it's
    100+ watts you are still better off with Adcom though. In addition, more versatility with separates.

* Hook them up

PS, I think it was on your other thread this thought popped up but Denon CD players have volume control. What they do is provide a variable output and the volume can be adjusted with the remote as well. I haven't heard any of their top of line players but all their units I have heard I thought was a bit bright and not very natural sounding. They still have that old school CD sound to my ears.

gotta do what ya gotta do!

i look at it this way, i got a good 50-60 years left in my life to blow on stereo stuff

Im just in the working phase to get going on decent stuff, thats not from best buy lol

I dont have the ear that alot of you guys do...yet. Im 19, and was here for the ipod stage and rap music, so my ears are kinda shot anyways =]

I figure, why not buy things, have fun, build a REAL stereo for true listening, and have little other fiddle faddlers to mess with. always something to piss the girlfriend off with!

(main living room system)
    I was thinking this, which sounds good to me.
    Cambridge audio Int. Amp (not sure which one yet)
    Oppo Dvd player (for mp3 and movie playback)
    Emotive or cambridge audio cd player (for music)
    And b&w/Axiom or Paradigm speakers
    blue jeans cable all the way!

sounds like a great first system to me, besides all the sony and panny mini systems of my life!

I remember when i though my sony mini hifi sounded amazing, and all my friends waaaed over it cuz i tweaked it with random things!

boy, ive seen some changes!

thanks yall!

Suspended
    That looks like a decent system with good sound. However, I don't think it will give you the slam you might be wanting like the Mach/Adcom set up would. Cambridge will have the edge in clarity and detail but it isn't going to rock like the Adcom 545 or 5400. My Dyn 60's are only 86dB or so efficient and my 5400 danced them around the room and the bass was full and powerful. For no more than this system would cost you should try it.
    Your Pioneer for pre
    the Emo CD player
    an Adcom power amp
    driving the Mach's
    I think when it's party time this set up will have what you need. The Cambridge you can have when you are older

Mama, let that boy play some Rock n Roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That looks like a decent system with good sound. However, I don't think it will give you the slam you might be wanting like the Mach/Adcom set up would. Cambridge will have the edge in clarity and detail but it isn't going to rock like the Adcom 545 or 5400. My Dyn 60's are only 86dB or so efficient and my 5400 danced them around the room and the bass was full and powerful. For no more than this system would cost you should try it.
    Your Pioneer for pre
    the Emo CD player
    an Adcom power amp
    driving the Mach's
    I think when it's party time this set up will have what you need. The Cambridge you can have when you are older

Mama, let that boy play some Rock n Roll.

I like the way you think

I actually was buying the machs for a bedroom two channel system!!
    which was thinking about the adcom for.

The mach ones
    the emo cd player
    maybe forget the dvd player and play mp3's in the living room, seeing as i only listen to them to evaluate cds before i buy them anyways, if there good enough, then they get a good listen =]
    and the adcom like you and a couple other kindly chimed in with!

I am trying to pawn my jbls on the guy for his machs, i wont need or want them once i have something a little cooler.

I cant buy all the fancy stuff till my new place is moved into seeing as i live in a less then 800 sq feet apt. sad i know =[

hope he trades me!

the lights are starting to go on my old pioneer, and i dont see it fit to fix it seeing its kind of a low end piece and id like to replace it sooner then later.

any good pre's?

adcom or rotel?

what about the emo pre, it looks really cool!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information