Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Bookshelf Speaker Advise

I have a Marantz 2230 arriving tomorrow and would like some recommendation on bookshelf's to match. I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's but one of them is shorted out and I am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance
    Randy

Whats your budget?

For sub $1k in the $600-1K range I like B&W 685's, NHT Classic 3's, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio RX2 and RS2. The new RX2 has an 8" woofer in a bookshelf. I havent hear it but if its as good as the RS2 it replaces then its a winner.

For sub $600 speakers look at the B&W 686's, NHT Classic 2's, Energy 200's PSB b-15's and b-25's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Good suggestions blackraven. A new bookshelf speaker that I have only read about and think it would be worth a listen is the Epos ELS8. The October Absolute Sound has a great review of the ELS8.

If you are placing them on stands I would shop for Monitor Audio's RS 6. They just came out with the RX 6 but there is nothing wrong with the RS 6. Good bass and incredible sound. Since they are being discontinued you should find them at a good price.

If you like a forward sound you might want to check out the Ascend CBM 170 SE's. They are available only through the internet and I have a pair. They are fine for some music but being forward sounding they were not a universal speaker for me. Well made and inexpensive.

Good luck with your shopping.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

$500/$600 is about right. I was really just wondering what speaks would the 2230 be able to handle. This is just a 2 channel casual (maybe sometimes loud) listening and for needledrops. But I do want the best sound I can get for the money.

Suspended
    After just listening to my rears as mains, I would recommend a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s if you can still get a pair. Although they would like a little more juice, they would still sound fantastic with your new piece.

A good review here -> http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/dynaudio42_e.html

I also just heard a small pair of Epos on Sunday. Not sure of the model as they were several years old. Very nice sound for a small speaker.

The ELS8 looks nice at $495 a pair list. The M5i lists for $800 but I'm sure can be had for closer to 6 if you try.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Tannoy. Check out the Fusion 2...

Forum Regular

my 2 cents....

MORDAUNT SHORT Avant 902i Bookshelf Speakers
    Our Price: $225.00
    http://www.accessories4less.com/

I'm like a broken record on this topic. Until I hear another speaker that can outperform the M.S. 902i for same or nearly the same money...I am always going to highly recommend this speaker.

If you would prefer a more current product in the M.S. line up then consider the Aviano series, Aviano 1 or Aviano 2. Check them out at http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/

Check on the reviews on the M.S. website
    http://www.mordauntshort.com/default.php

Good luck shopping and with your selection.

LeRoy

When I consider a speaker, does Ohms (impedance rating) matter. I have always used 8 Ohm speaks in the past. What does 4 or 6 Ohm rating do to the likes of the 2230?

Grouchy when I wanna be Couch Potato Grouch's Avatar
    Paradigm Studio 20s...Great sounding speakers and lots of detail

Quote Originally Posted by axelsrd
    When I consider a speaker, does Ohms (impedance rating) matter. I have always used 8 Ohm speaks in the past. What does 4 or 6 Ohm rating do to the likes of the 2230?
    Using speakers with a 4 or 6 Ohm rating should be fine but it might make the receiver run hotter. It's somewhat similar to running two sets of speakers. I would not use both sets of speaker outputs with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers, but there shouldn't be a problem with one quality 4 Ohm pair.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    $500/$600 is about right. I was really just wondering what speaks would the 2230 be able to handle. This is just a 2 channel casual (maybe sometimes loud) listening and for needledrops. But I do want the best sound I can get for the money.
    The 2230 is a neat classic Marantz piece, but with just 30wpc it does not have much power compared to modern equipment. A lot of the new speakers coming out now would be semi-difficult for your receiver to drive to realistic levels without distortion. I drive me little 4 ohm rated JM Lab monitors with a 50wpc intergrated amp, but the amp is quite robust with it's power rating doubling to 100wpc into 4ohm. Your receiver wasn't designed to do that. So, I would stick with speakers that have a relatively high efficiency, say 89dB/watt and a nominal rating of 8ohm or higher.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

It is very common and even consistent that the Marantz gear from the 70's produces more power than its rating. The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?

I have a Marantz 2230 arriving tomorrow and would like some recommendation on bookshelf's to match. I have a pair of Klipsch RB-35's but one of them is shorted out and I am looking to replace them.

Thanks in advance
    Randy
    Heres a speaker that not only looks good, and sounds great but you get a great discounted price as well.

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/...ducts_id=11545

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It is very common and even consistent that the Marantz gear from the 70's produces more power than its rating. The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?
    It's all about stress. While your right that back in the 70's Marantz gear was underrated power wise (to get better THD readings) do you really want to stress this vintage piece with a difficult to drive speaker? Filter caps, and power transformers do age. After 30+ years you cannot expect them to stand up ad perform to the same kind of specs as new. That these units still can PLAY is a testament to their great build quality, why abuse them now in their golden years? Especially when good high efficiency/high resistance speakers are available.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    It's all about stress. While your right that back in the 70's Marantz gear was underrated power wise (to get better THD readings) do you really want to stress this vintage piece with a difficult to drive speaker? Filter caps, and power transformers do age. After 30+ years you cannot expect them to stand up ad perform to the same kind of specs as new. That these units still can PLAY is a testament to their great build quality, why abuse them now in their golden years? Especially when good high efficiency/high resistance speakers are available.
    I've had first-hand experience with the Marantz gear, including the 2325 receiver that I still use quite often. I'd just say I would disagree with calling it abuse. I wouldn't call it golden years, either.

Call it what you like, but if you hook it up to a pair of maggies and go to town you'll be calling the repair tech.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I've got a soft spot for vintage speakers. Why not keep things retro and get a pair of classic speakers too?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I didnt realize that the Marantz was only 30wpc. I would be looking at some efficient speakers. Forget about the Monitor audio's. They like power, so do B&W's and dynaudio.

I would give these a listen http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...e-B6-Bookshelf

Or check here for last years PSB image models the B-15 and B-25 The recommended minimum power for the B-25 is 10wpc and should be a good match for that marantz.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ The B-25's are a bargain at this price!

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/

Or look to some Paradigms as mentioned above.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I didnt realize that the Marantz was only 30wpc. I would be looking at some efficient speakers.
    Not a knock to you BR, just that you are the first person to really point this out. Geoff pointed out it's vintage too.

Personally, I think too much is being thrown at this poor guy. He asked about ohmage and now must contend with several opinions rather than some straight up facts.

Hey Alex, for a newer speaker, I think Tannoy is a nice match for your Marantz, Fusion 2 to be specific.

I kind of agree with Geoff, I like to keep it old school. I have a Marantz 1515, it rocks a pair of 8-ohm Avant 715. These are a poor man's Dynaco.

I have to say Geoff, if a vintage amp hasn't had any maintenance then I agree with you. All of my amps are vintage and although I listen at low levels, they can all kick out the jams. I think pushing them every once in a while, combined with regular use at more normal levels, keeps any vintage amp in good health. As far as weakening internal components, can't worry about it...take it as it comes.

I The receiver is designed to run two pairs of speakers. Why wouldn't it run one pair of 4 or 6 Ohm speakers?
    Having separate A and B speaker switching does not necessarily mean they were intended to be used at the same time. The 2230 only has a pair of output devices per channel. Some Carver power amps, for example, explicitly tell you NOT to do that. For modern HT receivers, the option is there to alternately drive a two channel system in another room.

I, too would be careful.

rw

As far as I know there's only one man left standing making vintage speakers for sale.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/products.htm

I recommend the 81's.

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

I'll add the Polk Audio LSi9 to add to the confusion

Great post Geoff. My buddy actually did business with this guy. He has Genesis II speakers and sent them to him to get jazzed up. I never really checked out his site though, great stuff. How about that inhuman huh?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Personally, I think too much is being thrown at this poor guy. He asked about ohmage and now must contend with several opinions rather than some straight up facts.
    How can you not get several opinions when you ask something as open-ended as this topic? Where are your facts, chubbs? ...said in the friendliest, most charming tone I can muster today, ol' buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Call it what you like, but if you hook it up to a pair of maggies and go to town you'll be calling the repair tech.
    I'll refrain from pursuing the the argument on the 4 and 6 Ohm speakers, based on the numbers of people in this thread against it. But no one suggested cranking up a pair of Maggies.

Where are your facts, chubbs?
    I come baring just the speaker facts noob. If you start at the beginning of the thread you'll see what I mean. It's not just the ohm talk, for some reason this thread just seems really chaotic. Anyhow man, I've got MSN on if you want to chat...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information