Thread: CNET on Bose

CNET on Bose

I try not to be a Bose basher out of hand. I usually tell my friends that there are other speakers out there of similar designs that are cheaper and sound as good if not better. Still, a great many people out there swear by the soundcubes and nothing else. Well this schism of opinion has even made it to into the 'general press". CNET deals primarily with computers and tech but they rate all home entertainment machinery as well.

Well, they've finally weighed in on the subject and have said essentially what I and others have, Bose makes a good sounding product that they CAN'T recommend considering it's price and the plethora of excellent similar products for less money.

Read it for yourself. I trust CNET, they've no axe to grind and get no Bose advertising dollars so....

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...ml#reviewPage1

Worf
    Last edited by Worf101; 08-01-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Ajani
    It's always good to see impartial reviews of Bose products... As you generally either see over the top love or hate for their products.... All the Bose Products I've heard sounded quite decent... But IMO, they were way overpriced for what they offered...

IIRC back in the day, Steve Guttenberg was the editor of Audio magazine. Most other writers on various tech sites have no background whatsoever with audio equipment, and approach their reviews with more of a computer/gadget freak viewpoint (i.e., bigger spec numbers, more features, etc.) so I tend not to take their recommendations seriously.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    honestly, compare bose to top speakers a price tier below bose, and see which sounds better or if there is much of a difference. you'll see bose aren't as great as others.

It's burned into the modern consumer's psyche that Bose is best. I've had people listen to some of my top end gear and be really impressed. They inevitably ask "Is that Bose?" When I say, "No,' they want to know why I didn't get Bose, because, after all, "Aren't they the best?"
    I like sulung tang.

Forum Regular
    I have enjoyed the Bose Wave Radio which is assembled in my home town. Before I had a surround system, it served well in producing the audio from my HDTV.

Forum Regular
    Never was a Bose person, but I sure would like to have the money they have made off their little speaker systems throughout the years. Talk about a marketing department.

Suspended
    I was just in a large appliance store yesterday looking at fridges for the garage. In the conversation the guy mentioned they had several floors and one just for home theaters. I walked up the steps and took a peek. All I saw were stacks of BOSE HTITB systems and that was all that was hooked up to the TVs. As I came down the steps, I said to they guy that they had a bunch of nice TVs but they should really get some better HT gear to sell.

He looked at in in such a funny way as if to say "What else is there?"

I just smiled and walked out.

I grind my teeth when I walk into a HT store and only see Bose .... go CNET

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Bose...always sounds like something is missing to me. Highs are kinda meh...mid range is kinda meh.

Quote Originally Posted by mav52 View Post
    Never was a Bose person, but I sure would like to have the money they have made off their little speaker systems throughout the years. Talk about a marketing department.
    Not sure how old you are, but Bose made its name off floor standing speakers, primarily the 901 series back in 1968. Now I will give them credit for jumping on the Satellite/sub setup bandwagon in the early 90's and establishing themselves as the premier system to beat.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I usually tell my friends that there are other speakers out there of similar designs

I usually don't trust a company that has to set its products in dedicated areas of the shop or store away from like products so people can't directly compare them hoping that their name will get the sale and some times it works mostly from people simply looking for good sound and don't necessarily study audio and don't want to hear about the tech side of it. But if these people would just loose their preconceptions and listen then they would know that bose is not the last word in anything.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I usually don't trust a company that has to set its products in dedicated areas of the shop or store away from like products so people can't directly compare them hoping that their name will get the sale and some times it works mostly from people simply looking for good sound and don't necessarily study audio and don't want to hear about the tech side of it. But if these people would just loose their preconceptions and listen then they would know that Bose is not the last word in anything.
    That is where the marketing smarts keeps them on the forefront. What other modern audio company setup their own store fronts, and make contracts with limited resellers to make sure they get separate demo areas. Also what other company buys air time to promote their products with infomercials. The Bose sound may not be a fit for everyone, but you can't knock there ability to promote it. It's gives the average consumer the thought that Bose products are exclusive and trend setting.

HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I do understand that their marketing team has there stuff together knowing that they have pretty much stayed the same and have added a few products here and there that are spin offs of products they already have and they have not seemed to do anything new in the last few years speaker wise but they still seem to keep their loyal fans from which have no real want or need in their own mind to learn what real audio is and what speakers should sound like. For every Bose speaker out there I can think of more than several in the same price category that can destroy it as far as sound, build quality, and overall product you get for the money. Like I have said before with Bose you are buying 90% myth and 10% speaker.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    Remember the old saying "no highs, no lows, so it must be Bose"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Remember the old saying "no highs, no lows, so it must be Bose"
    lol. but i am a fan of bose.

Forum Regular
    I was doing some research on google ad word the other day. For a laugh I typed in bose. it seems they spend $15,000 -$25,000 a day just on google adwords. that is crazy!

Thread Information