• 01-19-2005, 09:22 AM
    psoares
    Problem with my pair of AEGIS EVO1
    I Recently bought the speakers that I thought, after reading several reviews, were the best low budget speakers money could buy.

I paired them with my NAD 350 and my Cambridge Audio D500 and started to "brake them down", after some weeks of listening I was very pleased with the overall performance of my newly upgraded hi-fi.

It was only when I started to increase the volume of my NAD that I noticed that, after 1/3 of the course of the volume, the speakers started to not being able to whistand the power. I wqas puzled, since the reviews said that the stronger the amp the better they sounded.

Is there a limit for the amount of power I can deliver to the speakers, Is there a problem with the speakers (defect), is there a problem with the positioning off the speakers, is there a problem with the stands?

If someone could help me with this problem I would greatly apretiate. I'm thinking about upgrading once again, this time for the JM LAB's 714s, culd this solve the problem?
  • 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
    bargainseeker
    Your Aegis Evo One speakers use a small (5"), modestly priced woofer in a relatively large enclosure. They will do best in a small room or in near field listening. They will not play loud, particularly with bass heavy music. If you are pleased with the sound of them but just want them to play louder, then I suggest using them with a subwoofer that has line level inputs and outputs and a built-in high pass filter. Connect your amplifier to the subwoofer high level inputs and your Evo One speakers to the subwoofer high level outputs. Set the subwoofer crossover to the crossover frequency of the high pass filter. You should then be able to play the speakers much louder without apparent distortion.
  • 01-19-2005, 03:43 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by psoares
    I Recently bought the speakers that I thought, after reading several reviews, were the best low budget speakers money could buy.

I paired them with my NAD 350 and my Cambridge Audio D500 and started to "brake them down", after some weeks of listening I was very pleased with the overall performance of my newly upgraded hi-fi.

It was only when I started to increase the volume of my NAD that I noticed that, after 1/3 of the course of the volume, the speakers started to not being able to whistand the power. I wqas puzled, since the reviews said that the stronger the amp the better they sounded.

Is there a limit for the amount of power I can deliver to the speakers, Is there a problem with the speakers (defect), is there a problem with the positioning off the speakers, is there a problem with the stands?

If someone could help me with this problem I would greatly apretiate. I'm thinking about upgrading once again, this time for the JM LAB's 714s, culd this solve the problem?

I have a pair of the Acoustic Energy Aegis One speakers (the EVO 1's immediate predecessor). I agree with bargainseeker that they do best in a small room for nearfield listening. When I first got mine, I had a NAD 25wpc stereo receiver. The AEs sounded great, but the NAD didn't play very loud at all. I passed the receiver on to my son and bought a 100wpc power amp and seperate preamp. At first the AEs sounded very compressed like the music was trying to break out of the speakers but couldn't. Of course this was very frustrating. Then I got a recommendation to change my speaker wire to DH Labs T14 silver speaker cable (I was using radio shack wire). It was reasonably priced (about $85 for 8ft pair) so I tried it. The compression disappeared and the speakers opened up nicely. However, if I ever set up my system in a larger room I probably will have to upgrade the AEs (they're entry-level and are next on my list anyhow). When I get to around 12:00 (1:00 w/analog sources) on my preamp's volume I get what I call a "bubble" effect. It's like the soundstage is pushing out in the middle and curving back to the speakers on the sides.

I have tried my AEs in my bedroom system with a NAD C340 integrated amp (the predecessor to your 350) and the CA D300 cd player and thought they mated VERY well. The AEs gave a nice full-balanced sound with plenty of weight in the bass. But I only experimented with this setup. It wasn't long term and I really didn't push this system's limits. I regularly run NHT SuperOnes in my bedroom.

I guess I would suggest you try a run of some silver speaker cable before getting rid of your AEs. Maybe you can audition a pair. Although I enjoy the sound of British speakers, most seem to be made for small listening rooms. (Hell, the Brits live on an island where space is a premium! In fact, I should probably be running my AEs with my Brit gear and run the NHTs with my US-made amp/preamp seaperates.) One exception may be the B&W 602s. Those seem to like to play loud.