Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member Westlake HR1's Avatar

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    JBL is pro mass market garbage. Whenever I work at a studio that has them, I ask that they be replaced. The PMC/Bryston combo is my speakers of choice, followed by Genelec and M&K. JBL, EV, and altec have all had their day. I have heard the 4355, it doesn't even come close to the PMC/Bryston combination. It also doesn't come close to the Genelecs either. I guess its a matter of what you like in a speaker.

I use Dunlavy SC V when mastering.
    I suspect I have a few years more experience in this than you my friend. I come from the days when JBL was not owned by a mass market Corp. Looking at your list of equipment I would be inclined to think your pretty much a rookie and don’t know your butt from a hole in the ground. Of course, you may be far too young, arrogant and opinionated for any of this to sink in. Maybe as you and more importantly your ear mature, you can look back on your post with some regret. In any case, I and many others would disagree entirely with your opinion.

The one thing I would agree with "I guess its a matter of what you like in a speaker." But to make the statement "JBL is pro mass market garbage" is simply rediculous and un-true.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Westlake HR1; 10-13-2005 at 01:51 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Ah, Bryston!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    JBL is pro mass market garbage. Whenever I work at a studio that has them, I ask that they be replaced. The PMC/Bryston combo is my speakers of choice, followed by Genelec and M&K. JBL, EV, and altec have all had their day. I have heard the 4355, it doesn't even come close to the PMC/Bryston combination. It also doesn't come close to the Genelecs either. I guess its a matter of what you like in a speaker.

I use Dunlavy SC V when mastering.
    Well Sir Terry, I do agree with you about genelec monitors, they can be amazing! But Bryston electronics are too metallic sounding and aggressive for me!

Yes, they have engineered all the distortions out of their amplifiers, but in spite of the flawless specs, and measurements on a scope, they are too clinical and, bright, and cold sounding.

Very good for the concrete ears crowd, but musically they are just too lacking in conveying the emotion of a recording. Especially the mid band and higher frequencies, and I have listened to many Brystons through many speakers, they just irritate me after a while and push me away!

I even had the oppurtunity to listen to the grand exalted head of their household amplifier, the Bryston 14B SST 3 weeks ago, through a pair of B & W 801,s and although the 14B SST was dead clean, and produced tremendous output, and makes effortless bottom with plenty of headroom to spare, when we put the big Classe amps back on the B & W,s it was major relief to everyone in the rooms ears! The mid and high frequencies have something that to my ears sounds somewhat metallic, and edgy. After a bit, I really found the amp to offend, and on the contrary, the Classe drew you in, had a more open, and relaxed quality to it, yet was utterly clear and resolving of the most minute details present in recordings, so we felt the Classe/B & W combination engaged the listener. Something I refer to as natural sounding.

The Bryston/B & W combination, OTOH, and IMHO, seemed to push us farther away,
    most notably, in the nid and high frequncies, the big bryston just doent have the fluid texture, and gives the impression of a coarse, clinical sounding top end! And eventually to replace the big Bryston with the systems original Classe!

Stated simply, we find listening to bryston not enjoyable. yes, its very exact, and quite reference I suppose, and really adept for those who wish to critique their recordings and pick them apart for every minor flaw, as opposed to listening to music, and enjoying, no make that, becoming involved in it!

Onkyo? In a professional studio? Since when?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    FWIW, my next set of monitors, being constructed as we speak, will be a pair of custom designed BR enclosures employing all TAD components. 2 TAD 1601B,s 1 TAD 4003 1.5in compression driver on a TAD horn, with a TAD ET-703 UHF tweeter for each cabinet.

Although Genelec is good, TAD will kick it in its behind, and send em on their way, back home to mommy!

Have a great day, Terry!

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Wink

I think pro speakers are ALOT better than home speakers since pros have more accurite and more flatter response. I have a pair of Edirol MA-10D studio monitors and they sound better than normal home speakers since they are more flatter response and since they are made for studio monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I think pro speakers are ALOT better than home speakers since pros have more accurite and more flatter response. I have a pair of Edirol MA-10D studio monitors and they sound better than normal home speakers since they are more flatter response and since they are made for studio monitoring.
    That is the biggest pile of **** text that i have ever read. Please post a frequencys response picture and proof their fullrange flat response! Those Edirols are without a doubt nowhere near a good home speaker. Period! I would personally rather buy a BOSE 301!

Gimme a break!

PS: 10 watt per channel, and a 7lbs speaker. For gods sacke, noone can really mean what you wrote. Noone is that stupid, it simply cant be.

Last edited by Florian; 10-14-2005 at 09:01 AM.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Cool

Well I can say that my MA-10D's are 100% nearfield monitors and they go from 45hz to 35Khz +/- 2db so thats very flat for speaker this price and size. Plus the plugs were you connect the speakers to are gold plated too. Plus you can connect digital input like optic-fiber and coaxial too. So these are great monitors for the price and I really think pro speakers rock. I can say I wont ever buy anymore home speakers again.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    For gods sacke, noone can really mean what you wrote. Noone is that stupid, it simply cant be.
    Methinks you're underestimating SVI.

nightflier

Event Studio Precision 8

OK, these aren't exactly inexpensive speakers, but they sound amazing. I purchased these to compare them to my home audio speakers. The frequency response is completely flat, and the clarity and accuracy is phenominal. Strereo imaging is spot-on. So why am I selling them? Because they are tiring.

For an acurate speaker, a good quality studio monitor (like Tannoy or Dynaudio), especially one that is actively powered, will most often outperform a comparably priced home audio speaker. But the real question is whether they are pleasant to listen to. I paid less for a pair of used Dynaudio 72's and find them much more pleasant to listen to.

I don't know what studio monitors in the $200 range sound like, so I can't really comment. But in the $1K range, there are very few home audio speakers than can compare to studio monitors, if you're willing to put up with that much detail.

Smile

I can say you can never ever find a better pair of studio monitors or speakers that is powered and that costs $165 pair since for the price the MA-10D is the best ever. I can say for headphones I love the MDR-V300 since they are great for portable players and for studio monitoring.

Ignorance is bliss

The Collector
    here is my answer to this whole entire discussion

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speaker...ries/sm-1.html

AR Newbie Registered Member Westlake HR1's Avatar

Now were talking pro equipment

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    here is my answer to this whole entire discussion

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speaker...ries/sm-1.html
    Here is a guy who knows what pro sound is. These monitors run 100K without crossovers. Those will set you back another 15 to 20K. Someone also mentioned TAD, once again "now your taking pro quailty". Imaging and a sound stage that will make you wet your pants. You would not believe anything could sound this good. Go find out at Westlakes outlet on Santa Monica Blvd.

The worst thing to ever happen to the recording industry was the NS-10 and what it started.

Have a good one.

You all have no clue... Spanking Mr.Ice here has 7lbs monitors with a better responce of 20 to 35000 Hz at +-2db than you ****ty 550lbs 20-20000Hz +-3db monitors.
    You know how i mean it

This could be a good bargain for the 3500 bucks..

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1131801481

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    You all have no clue... Spanking Mr.Ice here has 7lbs monitors with a better responce of 20 to 35000 Hz at +-2db than you ****ty 550lbs 20-20000Hz +-3db monitors.
    You know how i mean it
    Give it a rest, you're letting a troll get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Give it a rest, you're letting a troll get to you.
    Are you sure he is a Troll?

j/k

To tell you the truth I dont know what a troll is but what ever it is it doesnt sound like its a good thing. But I know that when I post things I am serious about what I am saying and I am not just playing games in here to annoy peep. I am giving true infos about the speakers and headphones I am talking about.

Have you ever wondered why people don't take you seriously?

-Flo

Well that is a good question what Florian said why dont peep take it serious when I post something but I dont know why. I only know that I am trying my best to tell peep how good are my speakers and stuff since as I said for the price they are very good you know. I aint playing games or jocking around I am dead serious that for the price my speakers and headphones are the best.

I am very proud that I am getting the best stuff for the price. I know there are better things out there but for the price they are the best. My Edirol MA-10D and my MDR-V300 headphones sounds the best for the price I know thats for sure.

To tell you the truth I dont know what a troll is but what ever it is it doesnt sound like its a good thing. But I know that when I post things I am serious about what I am saying and I am not just playing games in here to annoy peep. I am giving true infos about the speakers and headphones I am talking about.
    I dont think this is Spanking Vanilla Ice ,most be his younger brother Popsicle.

I am very proud that I am getting the best stuff for the price. I know there are better things out there but for the price they are the best. My Edirol MA-10D and my MDR-V300 headphones sounds the best for the price I know thats for sure.
    I think you been sniffing to much Ethanol.

Well have you ever measured your speakers with a realtime analyzer? Because, i can guarantee you right now that the specs they posts are impossible to be accurate and close to the truth. What other speakers have you heard and what have you compared them too?

-Flo

Well I can say other speakers I have heard were passive type not powered but I can say that the Edirol MA-10D is way better than the Sony SS-MB150H and I can say they are better than the JBL N24 or the JBL HLS410. As you see I am compairing speakers that are about the same size woofers and about the same price. I can say that the Edirol MA-10D puts more bass than even the JBL Control 1. I tested the feq using my ears and mic and I can say that the MA-10D really goes 45hz low. I have a software called TrueRTA and I use it to see how low and high the speakers can play. Overall I am very impressed how the MA-10D plays since they really go from 45hz to 35khz. Of cource at 45hz its not going to be powerful since its coming out of a 3in 1/2 woofers. But it really does play that low for real. They do really play flat too.

Well ok, so you have compared it to other 200$ speakers and found it to be the best for you. Thats cool, i can live with that. What plans do you have for upgrading? Maybe a better source component, cables etc.? Have you planned any mods such as soldering the source directly to the inputs of the amp and chaning the filters and internal wiring of the internal amp? What speaker stands do you use? What music do you listen too, and lastly why have you never logically replied before and changed your picture? Are you a brother of the original poster?

-Flo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information