Forum Regular

Question Power Filters - eliminates noise to speakers ? Really, or just sales hype

OK, so hit me with it !!!

Am I fool for thinking that I'd buy power line filers. Such as the Monster filters that do everthing from surge protection to complete circuit isolation for each component that you plug in. These things range in price from $20 to over a $1000.

Of couse the sales pitch, we've all seen that nosie maker they have, but here's the real question:

Is it detectable when you listen to music. Does the filter in fact improve speaker sound quality, and also video they say, by removing (flitering out) noise on the 120v source?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then what level of filtering is best, since there is a range of products I'd like to know where the best price point is.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by omikey; 03-16-2004 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typos

Forum Regular
    You can get an Adcom 515 Line Enhancer used for around $90.00 on eBay. The line noise most experience is nornally due to the age of the wires in homes. My condo is 18 years old. There was little line "hiss", but when the refrigerator turns on and off I could have die. The monster 1000 is also a nice filter available at your local Mid-Fi dealers (bestbuy, circuitcity). I using the monster 1000 today and no longer have line noise. No, it is not a sales pitch. If you cannot hear line noise, lucky you. You just saved $100.00.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    A UPS cut out my line noise. I have a moderately old house (1953). UPS is good because it's the best protection from a lightening strike too.

Forum Regular

Does Monster really pay on their insurance claims ?

Thanks for the feedback.

I hadn't considered a UPS for surge protection. The monster power filters have varying degrees of protection depending on which unit you buy.

As an example on their 2600 (cost $400) it provides 3700 joules of protection.

Also Monster provides up to $300,000 dollars insurance on components connected into their power filter (also this is a different value depending on wich unit you buy)

....... I wonder what it would be like trying to collect $15,000 to have my AV equipment and Plasma replaced ........ I'm thinking that it would be a challenge getting them to give up the bucks.

Forum Regular
    Yes, I bet it would be a chore. I'm confident in the UPS's ability to provide top notch protection. It removed a very defininate buz from my line (especially when my AC is on). If you like the idea of lightning protection beyond a UPS, I'd recommend Belkin's high end line of surge protectors. They have a $50,000 replacement warranty. Between a Belkin high end surge protector and a modest UPS, you could probably spend $150. You are getting in the range of the Monster products, but you get the added benefit of the stuff working (for a short while) when the power dies. Also, if you for some reason have a small fluctuation in juice on your line, the UPS covers it.

I like this setup also based on not funnling any more money than I have to toward the Monster...erm monster.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by goatspeed
    Yes, I bet it would be a chore. I'm confident in the UPS's ability to provide top notch protection. It removed a very defininate buz from my line (especially when my AC is on). If you like the idea of lightning protection beyond a UPS, I'd recommend Belkin's high end line of surge protectors. They have a $50,000 replacement warranty. Between a Belkin high end surge protector and a modest UPS, you could probably spend $150. You are getting in the range of the Monster products, but you get the added benefit of the stuff working (for a short while) when the power dies. Also, if you for some reason have a small fluctuation in juice on your line, the UPS covers it.

I like this setup also based on not funnling any more money than I have to toward the Monster...erm monster.
    I'm with you on that funnling aspect Goat !! I don't like that idea very much but I'm sure concerned about getting my equipment protected. And also needed some confirmation that there's more value than just the surge protection, that in fact there is improvement in the A/V aspects of it. I concluded from comments here and other sources that I checked out today that there is in fact a difference to been seen and heard by having a power filter in place.

I am also very limited on space. All of my AV gear has to be installed in a below the counter cabinet in the dinning room - directly across from the living room. So as of this point I'm not sure that I have the space needed for a UPS unit.

Thanks for the tips and giving me other options to consider as I try to come to my decision on this soltuion.

Mike

Forum Regular

this question was asked last month, here's the replies

I guess I shoul've done a 'search' on this forum before I posted my question.

I did a 'search' on powercenters today and here's what I found ......
    Montser PowerCenter 2500: any thoughts???

lots of opinions of course, mostly negative on the idea of power filters, but very postive on surge protection.

Thanks Everyone !!!!!

Thread Information