Forum Regular

bookshelf vs floorstanding??

hello mates i am in the process of building an easy on the wallet home system, so far i have a HK-146 reciever a polk csm center and a Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer. My budget is 200-300 dollars for front speakers and about 100-200 for rear speakers. I want to play everthing Video games, movies, jazz lots of rap (lol). When making my choice in the back of my head i plan to upgrade my HK to something else, or is the HK-146 ok with the whooping 30watts per channel. The room size is 17x15, so its on the small size but i dont want to upgrade speakers when i buy a new house next year.

Thanks for your help

Shookone

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I don't normally recommend speakers I have not heard but based on a lot of talk on forums and some reviews and give what you want them for you should check out the Cerwin Vega CLS-15 http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio...rs/cls-15.html which they price at $479 pair.

That is above your budget but you can safely "cheap out" on the rear speakers. The Cerwins are easy to drive - you will get stupid volume levels with high impact bass - always have got this from Cerwin Vega - but now apparently they also sound pretty good to boot.

Also - check out your local pawn shops - you would be amazed at what you can get on the cheap in those places.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I don't normally recommend speakers I have not heard but based on a lot of talk on forums and some reviews and give what you want them for you should check out the Cerwin Vega CLS-15 http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio...rs/cls-15.html which they price at $479 pair.

That is above your budget but you can safely "cheap out" on the rear speakers. The Cerwins are easy to drive - you will get stupid volume levels with high impact bass - always have got this from Cerwin Vega - but now apparently they also sound pretty good to boot.

Also - check out your local pawn shops - you would be amazed at what you can get on the cheap in those places.
    Go BIG or go home! I think the OP should save up for the CLS-215:

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio...s/cls-215.html

I've always loved the description of it:

Simply the biggest, baddest tower on the market, the CLS-215 features two cast frame high excursion 15-inch woofers and delivers earth-shaking bass down to 24 Hz. With guaranteed “eviction notice” performance
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

Forum Regular
    That's funny. "Eviction Notice" performance!

I have a pair of CVs for my garage stereo. I don't know the model number but I bought them about 12 or so years ago. They sound surprisingly good when mixed with beer, and they'll blow the doors off.

I agree with RGA on this one. the new CLS series vega's have a great review record and have a huge following on the forums and would fill a room of a very big size so you would not have to change speakers in your new house. I would look into possibly getting more power when you get into your new house since you will be running them in a bigger room. but overall I have recommended the CLS 15 to many people looking for a good speaker in their price range especially for people who like to jam and play different kinds of music at louder levels without worry of hurting the speakers and having speakers that will last for years.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    Lol i like that With guaranteed “eviction notice” performance. Yeah i will save and get something nasty.

Thanks

Thread Information