PMC subwoofer

Printable View

• 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM
    hertz
    PMC subwoofer
    Anybody ever checked out this baby ? PMC is a no-nonsense studio speaker manufacturing company who is tied up with Bryston. They made this subwoofer especialy for music with a response of 22hz to 200 hz.I have heard pmc monitors and they sound very good. Just checking if anybody tried this one and how it compares with brands like REL, Velodyne etc..
  • 04-04-2005, 08:35 AM
    kexodusc
    Interesting...PMC is one of the few manufacturers brave enough to design transmission line speakers...I'm going to have to check into their sub...
    As for the link to Bryston...they have an agreement to assist each other in distribution and marketing in their respective native markets, but that's as far as the link goes I think.
  • 04-05-2005, 01:02 AM
    hertz
    I think the link goes further
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Interesting...PMC is one of the few manufacturers brave enough to design transmission line speakers...I'm going to have to check into their sub...
    As for the link to Bryston...they have an agreement to assist each other in distribution and marketing in their respective native markets, but that's as far as the link goes I think.

I think the link goes further.PMC uses bryston amps (power packs) in all their active speakers. I heard that bryston uses PMC speakers to voice their amps also.
  • 04-05-2005, 03:30 AM
    kexodusc
    Yeah they have a few other liscensing arrangements too and the share some proprietaries, but I was referring more to the ownership arrangements...wasn't sure what you meant by "tied up"...they aren't the same company, at least not yet, nor does there appear to be plans in the future with 2 distinct ownership groups.

This arrangement between them has been going on for awhile now, but I suspect it will only continue for each until something better comes along...if ever...Maybe they are just married. :D

I know Bryston requires most of their distributors to also be a PMC dealer, with exception in smaller markets. This isn't a bad way to go at all.
  • 04-05-2005, 04:03 AM
    Florian
    Transmissionline concepts are some serious bass makers when implemented right.
  • 04-05-2005, 04:12 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Florian
    Transmissionline concepts are some serious bass makers when implemented right.

Darn tootin'!!! The benefits aren't limited to superior bass region response either, the option to incorporate a more-midrange friendly woofer enters the picture as less demand is placed on the woofer alone for bass response. Great cost-benefit to going with a T-line.

The only downsides I've experienced are no budget T-Lines (they're too cost prohibitive below a certain threshold), and they won't be forgiving to design flaws.
  • 04-05-2005, 04:50 AM
    Florian
    My dealer had a Transmissionline TDL speaker which went down to 16Hz, unfortunatly they dont build them anymore.
  • 04-05-2005, 06:32 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    My subwoofers are transmission line loaded and not only does the bass go very low(I measured 16hz at almost full volume is even with 1khz) but it is very clean and tight. These are my first subs with this technology and I am very impressed. At first I thought they were bass reflex speakers, but the guy that made them assured me that they were quite different from bass reflex designs.

I have worked in several studios that utilized PMC/Bryston setup, and all I can say is WOW!! What a great match this combo is.