AR Newbie Registered Member

Boston Acoustics T1030 Questions

I have a gentleman who has offered to sell me his Boston Acoutics T1030 speakers for a mere $250.

I know nothing about the T1030 speakers. Could someone fill me in on them? Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

Newtrip

Forum Regular

Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by Newtrip
    I have a gentleman who has offered to sell me his Boston Acoutics T1030 speakers for a mere $250.

I know nothing about the T1030 speakers. Could someone fill me in on them? Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

Newtrip
    Are they in proper working order? If so, yes they are definitely worth $250! I's say snap them up. They are quite good speakers as I recall. They received a very good review in the old Audio magazine, which I probably still have at home.

As a general principle, I always recommend trying out equipment before buying, but I'd say it's a very good deal. Really fine speakers.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

They are in good working order except for one of the surrounds on a driver was torn, but he is having the driver replaced ordered direct from Boston Acoustics.

I'll definately check them out in person if they are worth going to see. Do you know if these had 6" or 8" drivers?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtrip
    They are in good working order except for one of the surrounds on a driver was torn, but he is having the driver replaced ordered direct from Boston Acoustics.

I'll definately check them out in person if they are worth going to see. Do you know if these had 6" or 8" drivers?
    I am not at home and cannot look them up in Audio magazines or any old buyer's guides. Ask me next year. We'll be home again in mid-January 2006. It's too long ago for me to remember the details, but they really do approach high end quality. I think you'll be quite pleased with the bass response if that's your concern with the size of the bass drivers.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

The T1030 was a very nice sounding speaker in its day. To my ears, this speaker took the best of the classic New England sound and updated it with greater accuracy and punch. One of the best speakers that Boston Acoustics ever made. The whole Boston A400/T1000/T1030 lineage was outstanding, and those were Boston Acoustics' flagship models in those days. The T-series speakers were three-way speakers, with the T1030 using two 8" woofers, a 6.5" midrange driver, and a 1" soft dome tweeter. If the driver has a foam tear, Boston Acoustics maintains an inventory of replacement drivers.

Boston's website does have product info on their discontinued products.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/tec_hp_dpi.aspx

IMO, Boston really lost its way when they introduced discontinued the acoustic suspension A and T series speakers in favor of the ported CR and Lynnfield series speakers, which not only got rid of the acoustic suspension design in favor of a ported cabinet, but traded out their very nice soft dome tweeters for a horrible metal dome tweeter design. I still use a pair of the A40 bookshelfs in the bedroom.

Newbie to sight.

Hello fellow audio enthusiasts!
    Great sight! I've been listening to Pioneer gear since the middle 70's.
    Recently started to upgrade.
    Got the sickness bad!(good)

Thread Information