Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    The review by Tony Cordseman was decent enough, but I wonder if he had a chance to hear these speakers when fully broken in. I received these with around 30 hours on them. I have never experienced the level of break-in as is the case here. The Maidstone has been changing for the past several weeks and continues to do so. Could it be the capacitors in the network? Also, the level of transparency is something that is new to me. I have never been able to easily distinguish the small changes I make in the signal chain, until now. It means I've had to think about how my system is set up. The coincident source driver in this iteration is out of the ordinary for the reason you mention - exceptional coherence, and also for the spectacular imaging that results. I'm very familiar with this technology as I''ve owned the 207s but sold them a few years ago. The Maidstone is in a different league of performance compared to the 207. Tannoys dual concentric driver is the same type of technology. Also one of my favs is the TAD Model-1, which also uses a coincident source driver - although of beryllium (both hf and mf).

Here is another review: hifiplus.co.uk/t-rev3-6.html

Those Soundlabs are really something else. The double-paneled prototypes at the most recent CES show were very intriguing; an extreme but uncompromising method to create a fully-coherent full-range sound. They must have sounded spectacular. Did you have a chance to listen to them? In reference to coupling paneled speakers to woofers, that would strike me as a difficult thing to do well, but some speakers, such as the Apogee Grand that Florian owns does use this approach apparently to great effect. I've never heard Apogees, but the Grand and Diva are said to be world-class. I'd like to hear them one day.

Wise indeed to guard the hearing. I do try and be careful of exposing the ears to continual loud noise these days. Its harder to enjoy the music if one's hearing is impared.

The Grand is the absolutly only panel speaker i have ever heard that sounds like a single panel acoustat in terms of coherence. The subwoofers cant be heard, i dont know exactly why.

One possibility is the use of a motion sensor on the ribbon array which syncs with the subwoofers, which are odly shaped, custom build drivers, fully active, acoustic suspension, long throw etc...

Bradly Morrical from "Positive Feedback Magazine" heard my Grands and to this day considers it the best speaker ever build.

This is his list: Source= http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...akers&m=249345

Let's see from what I have heard:
    No-holds-barred:
    Apogee Grand
    Acapella Triolon Excalibur (think that is the right name) or other big Acapellas
    Wilson X1 Grand Slamm or X2
    Nola Pegasus reference (or extreme or whatever its called)
    Genesis 1.1 or 200 models.

Not quite no-holds-barred:
    Odeon No. 32 (german horn speaker with wooden horns)
    Lansche Goa (german speaker with ion tweeter) 100db/watt
    Acapella Violon II (also german speaker with ion tweeter)
    Soundlab U1, A1 or M1
    Apogee Diva
    Analysis Amphytron
    Apogee Synergy (new apogee with 95db sensitivity)
    Genesis 350se
    Von Schweikert VR6 (haven't heard the newer models)
    Martin Logan Summit

Affordable and near SOTA:

Acoustat Spectra series (except the smallest 1100 model)
    Smaller Apogees
    Thiel CS 3.6 (only Thiel I truly love)
    Martin Logan Prodigy or Odyssey
    Martin Logan CLS I or IIz
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Hi E-Stat,

the Grand does not need the subwoofer, the panel does 22Hz flat. It was designed with it, all the active crossovers, Krell MRS subwoofers etc... the Grand is a single pure design where every part is perfectly matched.

The reason for the subwoofer is to allow the panel to do all the midrange power. The lower midrange (70 to 250Hz is only handled be the panel). The system has weight, realistic weight! The midrange ribbon does 250 to 9KHz... it allows each driver to deliver 100% of what its best at. When you hear a pair you will understand. ^^ Many specualte, but those who hear one personally setup in a home know why Apogee chose that design ;-)

hey florian it would be nice if we could hear your Grand speakers have you ever thought off doing a youtube video so we can listen to them .
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    hey florian it would be nice if we could hear your Grand speakers have you ever thought off doing a youtube video so we can listen to them .
    Haha! Actually there is a video about the assembly of it, it comes with the speaker. I dont share much about it anymore, too many negative side effects. I will however throw a party when its all up and operational. Several HIFI Bizz. people already signed up

Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    Haha, captured with a crappy mic, then filtered with 56kbps compression (i'm being generous), and finally played back with YOUR speakers? Wouldn't exactly be the same experience... But yeah would be nice to see them nonetheless.
    BTW, when are you inviting me Florian? How's it coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Haha, captured with a crappy mic, then filtered with 56kbps compression (i'm being generous), and finally played back with YOUR speakers? Wouldn't exactly be the same experience... But yeah would be nice to see them nonetheless.
    BTW, when are you inviting me Florian? How's it coming along?

Lol yea it was just a thought yea florian i wouldnt mind a invite would be nice to hear some quality speakers .
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

For HT and multichannel ...

In my 12' x 18' x 7.5' HT room, I'd love seven of these self-powered Genelec 8030A speakers and a Genelec 7050B subwoofer.

Since they're 'active' they can all be driven directly from a prepro with no power amps. The 8030A has build-in bass and treble compensation for room placement
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Bert, I wouldn't say that the Avalon Eidelon or Sentinels are much better. The X2s are very good indeed. I think the best Avalons do sound a bit more pure, with that diamond tweeter. The X2 is more dynamic imo, although can sound a wee bit too hard and a little disjointed at times to my ears. But I can see where your coming from.

I was comparing the Avalons to the wilson Maxx 2 (not the alexandria)...

never heard the sentinels, I did hear the Isis' though, very impressive...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Hi E-Stat,

the Grand does not need the subwoofer, the panel does 22Hz flat.
    Great. I suspect it would sound more coherent without the subs. Range is not the issue. Monopole bass works best with monopole speakers.

From your other post, it is specifically because I've heard various large tower speakers designed by Arnie Nudell (Infinity/Genesis) and the Nola Grand Reference at length (going back to 1980) on which I made my observations. As I said earlier, each of us has different criteria for what constitutes *best*. I would have something different. To each his own.

rw

Like you say E-Stat, there is no absolute best. Each technology has its merits and indeed its pitfalls. Nothing is perfect - except me
    For example, if dynamic driver speakers were perfect, then everyone would pursue that approach. The same goes for ribbons and electrostats.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 04-23-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Ducked into A.S. to get out of rush hour traffic and spent about an hour listening to the C-4...wow. I mean seriously, this is a whole lotta speaker for 16k.

I heard them in a dedicated and prepped room with the new Mac tubed prepro, big monos and we switched out sources a bit. At one point playing a Mac Music Server through an outboard DAC (some piece that had won a "Component of the Year" award) I listened to "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beattles. I don't think any salesperson in the history of the world has used the Beattles as a showpiece tune for gear, but you'd be amazed at the information that's on that track when played with the correct system.

Put the nail in the coffin of home theater for this guy.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Ducked into A.S. to get out of rush hour traffic and spent about an hour listening to the C-4...wow. I mean seriously, this is a whole lotta speaker for 16k.

I heard them in a dedicated and prepped room with the new Mac tubed prepro, big monos and we switched out sources a bit. At one point playing a Mac Music Server through an outboard DAC (some piece that had won a "Component of the Year" award) I listened to "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beattles. I don't think any salesperson in the history of the world has used the Beattles as a showpiece tune for gear, but you'd be amazed at the information that's on that track when played with the correct system.

Hi BobSticks,

sounds cool. Are you talking about the Dynaudio Confidence C4? I have heard they are excellent. You were listening to some good gear there. Where is A.S.? I always love to pop into the audio salon to listen to good gear, and its a great idea to miss the rush hour traffic. I am a dyed-in-the-wool hybrid-tube fan, but I'll tell you what, I've been getting very very impressed by the Class D amp I have lately been listening a lot too. It is so clean and utterly without distortion - this without sounding too lean. Also really really fast and immediate sounding. Bass is strong and with enormous control.

I really want to get a chance to listen to the C4s btw. I think it was Mr. P who heard the Dynaudio Sapphire recently and was very impressed. So you liked the MAC music server?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks

What?

Tell us more on what's going on in 'Napolistonia......
    Dude, isn't it about time you got some sub $100 used-TT and play some tunes?

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Hi BobSticks,

sounds cool. Are you talking about the Dynaudio Confidence C4? I have heard they are excellent. You were listening to some good gear there. Where is A.S.? I always love to pop into the audio salon to listen to good gear, and its a great idea to miss the rush hour traffic. I am a dyed-in-the-wool hybrid-tube fan, but I'll tell you what, I've been getting very very impressed by the Class D amp I have lately been listening a lot too. It is so clean and utterly without distortion - this without sounding too lean. Also really really fast and immediate sounding. Bass is strong and with enormous control.

I really want to get a chance to listen to the C4s btw. I think it was Mr. P who heard the Dynaudio Sapphire recently and was very impressed. So you liked the MAC music server?
    Hey Shaggy,

Yup, the Danes be the C4 in question. Not the best of the best, but easily the best in class...great extension with no sub needed or even desirable. Great imaging and coherence. Can it be beat,? Sure, with alot more money. Can it be picked apart? Maybe, but it was in a pretty solid room backed by some big dogs so it would be tough. Bottom line: anyone that can say they couldn't live with that system is one anal bastage...

I'm pretty happy with my amp right now so I think it's staying but the new Tube Pre may make a dent on the bank account...which serves me right anyway for driving around the city indescriminately and buying a Mustang for no good reason. I walked away from a cherry C32 (at least for the moment) because the tube sound of the C3 somethin'somethin' was otherworldly. I may regret that decision but whatever.

The Mac Server is nice and convenient and ergonomically well laid out. Would I buy it? No.While I feel that the future of audio is with computers and hard drives, I think the same results can be achieved for substantially less. I'm not that concerned with the name oon the faceplate and a good DAC is still required after all that cheese.

A.S. is Audio Solutions located here in Indy. Great guys with great toys who take the time to get to know their customer's needs. Frankly it's everything a hi-end store should be (and so few are anymore). This was one of the few times I have left without a new playmate to demo at home.

Shaggy, in case no one else says it, thanks for all your contributions. You've been posting some very cool threads lately and I've enjoyed reading and seeing your take on the good stuff. Gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    What?

Tell us more on what's going on in 'Napolistonia......
    Dude, isn't it about time you got some sub $100 used-TT and play some tunes?

JRA
    Whattup Jayrah,

Man, naptown ain't nothin' to nobody. Nothin' goin' on 'round these parts but work and more work, broken up by the jumping-through-hoops process of multiple interviewing for a job that I was invited to apply for. The juice could be less travel and more money...which, of course, leads to better toys so wish me luck.

My little record hut had one of them there USB TTs and I laughed and thought of you and your cajoling posts. Gotta get a decent pre first, then we'll see. In any case I'm done with the HDMI-upgradeitis-BS-processor-of-the-month kick. Two good channels is enough for this guy so I suppose I'm a step closer.

Hey, this is my crew. They can get just about anything you want including your beloved slabs of vinyl. Check it out: http://www.lunamusic.net/page0/index2.html

Peace,

Arrested Development

How about.....

Dynaudio Consequence

Does anybody know how much this pair of monstrosity goes for? $100K+?

Loco,
    Where you have been man? I've been thinking about send'n you some CD-R, but I've been focusing much more on LP purchases. Perhaps it's time to send you another package of black discs....

Whatever you end-up with, you may want to make sure your C3 somem somem is capable of playing low output MC cartridge. I hope you best on your job interview.

I'll be updating my resume very soon while sippin' on some beverage under the Florida sun...

We both need more money for this GD hobby and remainder for a night out with the ladies.

Peace to all,

Those Dynaudios Consequences are the best speakers money can buy... for people who spend a lot of time during the day doing head stands. Apparently they're all the rage with the Yoga crowd and a few ashrams have already ordered. Thats why the tweeters are at the bottom and the woofer is at the top. These speakers are also da bomb for when you bring the ladies back to the pad. They will surely enquire about the upside down arrangement, and when they assume the headstand position to listen - and If they have dresses or skirts on - ...well you get the point

Payce
    Last edited by O'Shag; 04-24-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information