Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Why would Philips lie? To sell more product!

Repeat after me: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
    .......That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine. Any Company who makes there products can't lie or they will get in trouble.
    Actually it would be more like Honda saying the V6 has 300HP (@ 10,00RPM). However,if you were to run the engine at that speed it won't last very long.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Well why would Philips lie though? Since if they don't give ture specs won't the company get in trouble? I though all companies give true specs about there products.

That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine.
    you don't get it.

philips, as well as most of the big and popular companies, do this, because they're companies. All they want, is your money, and nothing else. that's the world, economy, money, power.

and they don't tell lies as the one you mentioned with the honda. They give you specifications that can never be achieved in real life use, or can only be achieved for mere moments, and possibly damaging the speakers.

It's like saying the honda accord can do 200 miles an hour, which it can, running downhill, completely revved, a tuned motor and stripped of it's entire interior to make it lighter...

Your honda accord will never ever do that on a normal road in stock conditions.

Philips tests these speakers, and their amp. They say it puts out 20 watts/ch RMS, but we don't know at what distortion levels these measurements are taken. Could be that the 20 watt rating (and the 80 watt rating for sure, take my, and everyone else's word on this), is measured at 10 or 15% THD, or even more, which results in awful distortion and possibly damaging the speakers and or amp.

as well as the speakers, which philips claims to go from 50 hz, to 20khz. again, we don't know the distortion levels at both frequencies, neither do we know the levels in between, AND, more importantly, we don't know the volume levels at both given frequencies, nor the frequencies in between. this is often done with pc speakers, and cheaper speakers overall. Philips claims they go down to 50 hz, and up to 20Khz, most likely, (as I said, very often done with pc speakers), these readings are at -8 or -12 db, which is much much quieter than the rest of the frequencies, this response is far from linear, and thus not correct.

these are the lies/marketing techniques that philips, and much other big brands are fooling you with.

Now, I know you'll be saying "yes, but they have crisp highs, and good bass response, and they don't sound distorted at all"

here we are again with the honda accord, doing 200 mph, downhill, completely modded.
    the car you buy in the shop never ever does this, and you might say it drives pretty good, and it goes fast, but you have no accurate means of testing that. And with a car this is more possible than with speakers and amps.

audio gears need special equipment to test them, take measurements, ...

and you might say it sounds powerful, and goes low, and has crisp highs, but you can never actually know if the performance is anywhere near the given specs, you have no experience whatsoever testing them, you haven't had experience with any kind of better speakers, or critic listening.
    you are a blind customer, you believe what the brands are telling you.

and that's the point.
    You say it sounds good, simply because you haven't heard better. Your best experience with sound is with what you can find at best buy, and even there, you probably ignore the "hifi" stuff (which is still crap compared to decent speakers and amps), and go straight for pc speakers.

then you come home, you listen to them, come here to tell that they sound wonderful and magnificent, 2 weeks later you're bored of them, go to bestbuy again, buy another pair of pc speakers, and tell they are very good too. you simply don't know any better.

we told you, a few posts ago, with all the money you spent on these pc speakers so far, you could have bought some decent speakers, and a decent amp, and finally go somewhere, reach something...

we weren't kidding.

but no, you chose to be ignorant. Again.
    think about that.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Didja ever see the one where someone starts pulling a loose thread on a sweater?

They just keep on pulling and pulling and pulling and the thread goes on forever.

Anyone else see the parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    They just keep on pulling and pulling and pulling and the thread goes on forever.

Anyone else see the parallel?

I definitely see it,

I just have nothing better to do now
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar
    Well I' am not trying to be mean or anything but just I' am shocked that companies would put specs that you don't use. Btw about me not hearing hign end speakers I have heard some speakers such as one of the JBL K2 series in Japan and they cost like around $10,000 each. Also I have heard speakers like from Energy at Niver electronics in Omaha and that store sells higher end speakers than Best Buy does. Don't you remember me saying about me listening to Energy speakers few years agao. Btw I have good ears and I know when a speaker sounds bad. Every speaker has pro and cons of cource like I said that my Philips MMS321 speakers doesn't have the low low sub bass but it goes really clear and loud and have metalic highs. But of cource the speakers like the JBL K2 series since those are big they did make good lows, mids, highs. But the price is WOOO.

Now of cource my Philips won't have that deep low subwoofer bass since it doesn't have a sub and also there is no way that these small speakers can make a room shacking bass. But for these size and have that passive bass speaker it really does add alot of bass without having a sub.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    It's important to recognize one's limitations and appreciate the available fruits this world offers us...
    Last edited by bobsticks; 06-28-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Also I have had these speakers for at least 3 years so that shows I like them. I think it was acutaly 4 years.

Well eather way it looks like that Philips is telling true info but not true long term RMS. Probley it's a short RMS so you can't keep it at 80 watts. So probley 40 watts total is the loudest it can get with clear un distorted sounds.

Well eather way it looks like that Philips is telling true info but not true long term RMS. Probley it's a short RMS so you can't keep it at 80 watts. So probley 40 watts total is the loudest it can get with clear un distorted sounds.
    That is an optimistic approach...

very optimistic indeed, naive too...

and

tell me, no wait, better - prove me, that they are giving you true info?

tell me, for example, why they don't give distortion levels, or SPL levels with the bandwidth?

have you measured them? can you give me a 3rd party, objective test result?

i'll be waiting...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

oh, and there is no such thing as a "short RMS"

and the best distortion numbers I've seen on a pc system, were 10% THD at rated output, and that was at a $500 cambridge audio setup.

your's will probably be the same, if not more, unless you are clipping the amp, which you definitely are when turning it up...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

For the love of God, is there any knowledgeable enthusiast living near where "SVI" lives? If so, please speak up and volunteer a little time to help this poor misguided person. He won't listen to even the most logical and reasoned argument in print. Maybe some force fed words in the flesh will do the trick.
    If he lived even remotely close to me I would invite him over for a listen and an education in the basics.
    Are there no enthusiasts in Nebraska? "SVI" desperately needs help. Someone please be a good "Samaritan".
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I have 3 questions.

1) How did I miss this thread for so long?
    2) Why did I click on it now?
    3) Who is crazier, Spanky for asking these questions, or us for thinking we have a chance of helping?

Hi Spanks,

Good to see you around again. Hope you dumped that guy Adam. I thought he was playing you all along.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Are there no enthusiasts in Nebraska? "SVI" desperately needs help. Someone please be a good "Samaritan".
    I would think by the end of it one would qualify as a good Sumerian. if some brave soul wants to mount his trust onager with spear in hand and attack this challenge be ye warned that you'll be attempting a feat heretofor unheard...assailing the Great Ziggurat of Ur Dallas, temple of audio confusion.

Beware of the tiers of ancient pottery tweeters and phalanxes of developmentally challenged woofers...

May Enlil be with you.

is he gone? he just randomly disappeared for 3 days...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    is he gone? he just randomly disappeared for 3 days...
    Usually a few months. Then he'll be back with the same questions worded differently about a different set of computer speakers. He won't listen to any advice and eventually make the same mistakes over again.

Edit: And I get proved wrong. I like it!
    Last edited by GMichael; 07-01-2010 at 05:45 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I did some research and found this.

Peak Music Power Output (PMPO)

"The term PMPO is considered misleading and meaningless by audio professionals. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage."

According to this it means that my Philips speakers can't really handle 80 watts without getting the speakers blown. So it looks like they are really 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

What I think is strange is why would companies use PMPO as how loud they go when really they can't handle that much power. Philips should of just put on the box 40W and not 80W as main power. I guess it's ok to put it somewhere on the box or manual as peak power but they need to try to make it so people see that it's really 40 watts and 20 watts each.

I did some research and found this.

Peak Music Power Output (PMPO)

"The term PMPO is considered misleading and meaningless by audio professionals. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage."

According to this it means that my Philips speakers can't really handle 80 watts without getting the speakers blown. So it looks like they are really 40 watts total and 20 watts each.

What I think is strange is why would companies use PMPO as how loud they go when really they can't handle that much power. Philips should of just put on the box 40W and not 80W as main power. I guess it's ok to put it somewhere on the box or manual as peak power but they need to try to make it so people see that it's really 40 watts and 20 watts each.
    You are correct, but many companies don't do what they should. They do what they think will make them the most money.
    Remember, even that 20W per channel rating said nothing about the total distortion at those levels. It is likely that they don't even do a good job at the 20 watts.

So to my original question I made on this topic.

Can these speakers really go 80 watts of music power? Answer is NO.

So I guess this topic is done.

Also they did say on the same website that usualy they don't put THD % and just saying they are 80 watts but really they are 40 watts. But I think they at 10% at max volume. Since normaly most affordable speakers are like that.

I know that at normal volume to mid volume they sound great but once they get close to max they sound bad. But I think any amp or speakers will sound bad at max. Since your speaker will make a poping sound etc.

Eather way it's really bad that companies don't give specs that people really need to know and give specs that people don't really use. Like in the real world my speakers are 40 watts total and 20 watts each.
    Last edited by Dustin_Broke; 07-01-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You are correct, but many companies don't do what they should. They do what they think will make them the most money.
    Remember, even that 20W per channel rating said nothing about the total distortion at those levels. It is likely that they don't even do a good job at the 20 watts.
    I guess it's true that they are in a way trying to make money since they sure made me think they are 80 watts.

Also they did say on the same website that usualy they don't put THD % and just saying they are 80 watts but really they are 40 watts. But I think they at 10% at max volume. Since normaly most affordable speakers are like that.

I know that at normal volume to mid volume they sound great but once they get close to max they sound bad. But I think any amp or speakers will sound bad at max. Since your speaker will make a poping sound etc.

Eather way it's really bad that companies don't give specs that people really need to know and give specs that people don't really use. Like in the real world my speakers are 40 watts total and 20 watts each.
    Many companies give these misleading numbers while others actually underrate their equipment. It takes time and a lot of listening to find out which companies do what. Many of the people here have experience with both kinds of companies. That’s why when you come here and ask about two kinds of speakers, many will recommend that you get neither and try a 3rd. It’s because they know that both of the manufacturers you asked about are liars.

So does that mean JBL speakers are liars too? Since you guys said my JBL speakers weren't good back when I had them. I was actualy thinking to get a pair of the JBL N24 since I really still like JBL speakers but in a budget. I thought these will be compact and will have great JBL sound.

I' am not saying I will get them yet but I was just thinking about it. But I still enjoy my Philips speakers alot. In the future I was thinking to get the N24 when my Philips speakers stop working.

JBL is not bad, but many here know of "better" speakers at about the same price. I listen to the people here as much as I can understand, but you have to listen to the other speakers (as many kinds as possible) to know what sounds best to you.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information